2nd big game rifle

OP
MuleyFever
I think I may pick up a Tikka Superlite in 7mm-08. It will serve as a good back up and I can have it rechambered to 280ai or just rebarrel it and upgrade the stock and it will transition to my primary rifle.

Option 2 is buy a Ridgeline in 280ai but I would want to replace the stock with something lighter so may as well start with the Tikka I guess.

The Tikka just offers a lot of potential for a build later off the action.

slvrslngr

WKR
Keep the 7-08 a 7-08, you will likely find it does the same thing as your 280 with less blast and recoil.

With your 280AI as your big gun a 6mm REMINGTON sure would be nice for everything from gophers, antelope, deer, sheep, goats, black bear, and even elk if use appropriately. It's an accurate and fast cartridge.

OP
MuleyFever
Wife sent me to the store, which happens to be next to Sportsman’s. Now I have a Tikka SL in 7-08 on a 24 hour hold so I can sleep on it. First time handling a Tikka and I really liked the fit and action.

I’m just really into the Tikka idea. I would like to build off the action later.

OP
MuleyFever
With your 280AI as your big gun a 6mm REMINGTON sure would be nice for everything from gophers, antelope, deer, sheep, goats, black bear, and even elk if use appropriately. It's an accurate and fast cartridge.

The idea of a 6mm or Whelen sounds fun.

After thinking on it more I want a direct back up for big game. It’s more of insurance that I have a capable rifle if my 280 goes down for some reason. I also have dreams of a semi or full custom 280ai down the road. I think the Tikka will work well if I go that route. I also really liked my last 7-08 so I know what I’m getting into and will hopefully share ammo with my wife since I’m sticking with factory ammo for now. If I change my mind I can move the Tikka to my wife and move her heavy Howa for funds for something else.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
“Factory ammo only“ screams 6.5cm & 308. I’d take the former, over the latter, by a wide margin. Both are twisted correctly in the stainless T3x Lite.

I’d prioritize a fast twist 223/5.56, over a backup “big” rifle, if you don’t have one already.

Spoonbill

WKR
The idea of a 6mm or Whelen sounds fun.

After thinking on it more I want a direct back up for big game. It’s more of insurance that I have a capable rifle if my 280 goes down for some reason. I also have dreams of a semi or full custom 280ai down the road. I think the Tikka will work well if I go that route. I also really liked my last 7-08 so I know what I’m getting into and will hopefully share ammo with my wife since I’m sticking with factory ammo for now. If I change my mind I can move the Tikka to my wife and move her heavy Howa for funds for something else.

I scratched the itch for a 35 whelen a couple years ago. Found a good deal on a m77 30-06 and sent it to JES to have it rebored. Sounds like you are set on the 7-08 but thought I would pass the info along.

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
Id suggest something smaller to cover the varmint/deer side of the spectrum
my brother pairs his 280 AI with a 25-06. Good combo imo.
Im more of a 308 guy so would look toward 243