2nd choice after Forster FL dies?

SDHNTR

WKR
I need new FL dies in .300 wsm. Forsters are unavailable everywhere, include direct from Forster. So what’s the next best choice in FL sizing and seating dies? I do not want a bushing die. Just regular FL resizing with minimal runout.

mvrk28

WKR
My die preferences are as follows:

1. Whidden Gunworks
2. Redding
3. Forster

I have dies from all three. IMO the Whidden dies are in a league of their own. I love my Redding bushing dies though, no complaints with any product I have ever bought from Redding. I have a Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater for my 243, it's a nice die but I much prefer my Whidden Micrometer seater. Just using the two for comparison in quality and craftsmanship, I will take Whidden every time.

nubrun

FNG
For FL sizing, I use the redding FL bushing dies with a LE Wilson set of hand seater dies and sinclair arbor press.

Last edited:

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
The OP said he didn't want a bushing die. Whidden doesn't make a 300 WSM die unless it's a custom die. LE Wilson only makes a 300 WSM bushing die.

-- Scott

nubrun

FNG
The OP said he didn't want a bushing die. Whidden doesn't make a 300 WSM die unless it's a custom die. LE Wilson only makes a 300 WSM bushing die.

-- Scott
Ah, I missed that. Redding makes a FL die that isn't a bushing die. Is there a reason you don't want a bushing die OP?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Ah, I missed that. Redding makes a FL die that isn't a bushing die. Is there a reason you don't want a bushing die OP?
Well, I heard it said here by someone I wish I could accurately quote... “I reload to shoot, not shoot to reload.” In all honesty, I don’t find particular enjoyment in the reloading process. I live in CA and enjoy shooting some fairly obscure cartridges, so reloading is mostly a means to an end. I view bushing dies as one more step to an already over complicated process. I do appreciate accuracy and precision, to a point (sub moa), but not so much if it makes for more stuff I need to keep track of or more steps to the process. I just find bushing dies tedious to use. I’m not chasing 1 hole groups. I guess I just prefer to grip it and rip it.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Well, I heard it said here by someone I wish I could accurately quote... “I reload to shoot, not shoot to reload.” In all honesty, I don’t find particular enjoyment in the reloading process. I live in CA and enjoy shooting some fairly obscure cartridges, so reloading is mostly a means to an end. I view bushing dies as one more step to an already over complicated process. I do appreciate accuracy and precision, to a point, but not so much if it makes for more stuff I need to keep track of or more steps to the process. I just find bushing dies tedious to use. I guess I just prefer to grip it and rip it.

It‘s only really an extra step in getting started, not in the repeated process once setup.

But RCBS would probably serve you just fine in that case truthfull.

mvrk28

WKR
Well, I heard it said here by someone I wish I could accurately quote... “I reload to shoot, not shoot to reload.” In all honesty, I don’t find particular enjoyment in the reloading process. I live in CA and enjoy shooting some fairly obscure cartridges, so reloading is mostly a means to an end. I view bushing dies as one more step to an already over complicated process. I do appreciate accuracy and precision, to a point, but not so much if it makes for more stuff I need to keep track of or more steps to the process. I just find bushing dies tedious to use. I guess I just prefer to grip it and rip it.

Not quite sure how a bushing die is an extra step. You measure the neck of a loaded case, subtract .002" and order that size bushing. Install the bushing in the die, and then you just grip it and rip it.

Sounds like for what you want, an RCBS die would work just fine for you. If you wanted something better, then I would go Redding.

Bearguide

FNG
I prefer RCBS dies for what I do. reloading cartridge's that are not the new get all do all. So if its means to the end use RCBS dies and you'll be fine.