2nd CO rifle suggestions-vest?

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I will be hunting CO 2nd rifle this year. I need some advice, I’ve got first lite aerowool long sleeve and the mid weight hoodie and was wondering if anybody uses a vest or lighter jacket. I’ll have a puffy and rain gear, but I do like wearing a vest hunting and working here in IL. I generally run fairly warm so I was thinking a vest would work well as a windbreaker without the bulk. Just wondering what folks with more experience like. Thanks in advance.

I thought the same thing a couple of years ago, but I just got too hot moving. Now I just wear my Llano LS shirt and my required orange vest/hat and I've been fine, as long as the sun has been up for a few hours.

A sawtooth vest or Kings vest will be ok. Really will depend on the weather and how much you're moving.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I wear an Aerowool T shirt or long sleeve T. For Second Rifle I'd probably wear the long sleeve. My next layer would be a Sitka Ascent Jacket, Mountain Jacket, or equivelent etc...I'd be in just the shirt for walking in, hoofing up a mountain and wear the light quite jacket for moving slowly. Insulation jacket...I run a down jacket and a rain jacket to really cut the wind and hold heat it. You could use the vest instead of the lightweight jacket but I wouldn't carry both....I have a KUIU Guide jacket...it's a soft-shell...I would never use it on a backpack hunt. It seems like most of the guys I know don't run a soft-shell.....They're heavy, don't breath well enough for high output activity and aren't warm enough for insulation.

Elkhntr08

WKR
My go to outerwear is a vest, working or hunting. I always have my Sitka vest with me, either on or in the pack. May be all I use or the first layer. I’ve had light jackets bind up on my arms when shouldering a rifle or drawing a bow.
I’m just a vest guy.

Bbrinks

FNG
I like a vest for bowhunting here in Illinois as well, but for rifle in Colorado I didn't bother since I was going to be wearing an orange vest anyway. What unit are you looking into?

I have a Sitka Kelvin and Kuiu guide vest that I use all the time hunting. However, my Kifaru LPP is what I use for straight nasty warmth.

I rarely wear a jacket, My vest is my outerwear, but I do archery hunt exclusively. Just like the added freedom of movement. I have an old windstopper I like and KUIU guide vest.

mcseal2

WKR
Working on the ranch I'm outside at least part of every day so I get lots of opportunity to find what layers work for me.

My base layer is always long or short sleeve First Lite Aerowool shirt when hunting. Working it's usually just a cotton or poly shirt depending on what's clean and the weather.

I like the Sitka vests as a wind stopper. Working I use a Sitka Jestream Lite solid tan vest I picked up on sale. Hunting I use a Sitka Mountain Vest in camo. If it's cold enough I layer a Kuiu Peloton 240 hoody under the vest, camo for hunting or black for work. If it's colder yet the grey Kuiu insulated snap shirt gets layered under the 240 for either.

That's become my favorite set-up for a lot of conditions. It's usually all on me or in my pack, but it will all at least be at the truck or base camp. Those will go with me to CO this fall and AK next year. They are going with me for a dove hunt a couple hours west of home Saturday and to the river camping and fishing Friday night. I don't leave those layers at home fall thru spring. I plan what other layers I need around them.

That set-up is all I need when I'm even intermittently active down to pretty darn cold. I can throw a puffy jacket or puffy jacket and rain jacket over for long sits in really cold weather without removing any of it. I like my Kryptek Dalibor 2 softshell but either it or the rain jacket was always in the pack. I almost never had both on at the same time. This set-up I can use all of it at the same time. The Sitka vest stops the wind great but is lightweight and thin. Keeping the wind off my core but having the breathable layer or layers elsewhere helps me stay dry and comfortable.

The only item I'm really doubled up in colder weather is puffy layers but the Kuiu insulated snap shirt and my Kuiu Superdown Pro jacket together weigh the same as my Kifaru LPP jacket. Having the Kuiu shirt as extra insulation gives me more peace of mind leaving the LPP at home on a lot of hunts and packing the Superdown instead. I always hear we pack our insecurities and the ones I pack are some form of synthetic insulation and a second knife. I can't be very active in any down I've tried or the LPP without getting hot and sweating a lot, the Kuiu shirt fills a gap for me.

My Sitka mountain vest weighs 10oz, the Kuiu shirt is 10oz, and the Peloton 240 is 18oz for 38oz total. All 3 are much more versatile and only 8oz heavier than my old favorite Kryptek Dalibor 2 softshell. I know they make lighter softshells, but that is the one I liked best of all the ones I tried.

I wish the Sitka vest came in orange. I tried a Kuiu Guide vest but it seemed much less windproof. I think the Peloton 240 vest is actually more windproof than the Guide. I have an Orange Aglow stretch mesh vest to go over whatever layers I have on for CO this fall. I did not find a technical clothing orange vest that I liked better than the Sitka vests I have. It's hard to find one that would fit ok when walking in light layers and then stretch over a puffy jacket when sitting and not compress it a bunch.

Hope this helps. I ended up writing a lot more than I intended.

OP
M

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I was lookin at the peloton 240 vest. Would you recommend the vest or hoodie? I’ve used the first lite aerowool and chama a fair bit, but the wind cuts right through em.

mcseal2

WKR
I have the vest and hoody. I use the hoody more. The vest I actually wear for good a lot going to town. Nice over a long sleeve shirt for being in and out when I dont want a coat. Also mornings with minimal wind it is enough. It doesnt replace a windproof vest or the hoody for me for sure.