2X Archery lens.... legal in Colorado?

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Gearing up for an elk hunt in Unit 55 first week of archery season. I currently shoot an Axcel Accutouch slider sight with a 2X mag lens on the front. Is this legal or illegal in Colorado?

thanks!

dayhunt85

FNG
Not to derail your thread but I'm interested in your setup. I am headed to CO for my first elk hunt this year. I currently shoot a multi pin sight but I just picked up an axel accutouch single pin. I'm on the fence on wether it would be a bad idea to throw it on for the hunt, or if I should wait until after my hunt and stick with the multi pin. Have you chased elk with the sight on previously?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
This is my first elk hunt but i really do love the sight. I also shoot the Axcel Armortech multipin sight on my other bow. Both excellent but I prefer the single pin slider. Im practicing shooting my 40 yard slider at 20/30/50 yards in case the elk doesn't cooperate and i dont have time to come down from full draw to redial.

It is my understanding from reading this section of the regulations that it is illegal to have any sort of sighting aid or magnifying lens on your bow. That is the same interpretation that I have heard from CO P&W game wardens.

." Scopes and electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated
into or attached to bow or arrow, with the exception of lighted
nocks on arrows. Recording devices such as cameras or video recorders
attached to bows may be used as long as they do not cast light
toward the target or aid in range finding, sighting or shooting the bow"

The justification for this is similar to the Muzzle Loader regulations not allowing scopes. Their goal is to keep the Primitive Weapon seasons as primitive as possible. "k. Only open or iron sights allowed in muzzleloading seasons. Fiber optics
and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights
are legal. Scopes or any sighting device using artificial light, batteries
and electronic gear are prohibited during muzzleloading seasons."

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, no lens for you!!!

Dangit! Guess Ill have to kill an elk the old fashioned way... 80% let off, 360 IBO, Binary Cams... just like the Indians.

In all seriousness though thank you all for the feedback. I will leave the lens at home. Good luck to you all this season!

Davebuech

WKR
Just for the record, 80% let off is Illegal in CO too. --- Mis spoken

Looks like they changed the wording this year to 80% let off required! Prior to that 80% was maximum.

Last edited: