2x1 guide make sense for goat?

in the early stages of planning a mtn goat hunt in AK. I have hunted moose both DIY and with a guide. The guided hunt was 2 on 1. It seems like a lot of the goat hunts however are 1x1.

Would there be any disadvantage to 2 clients going with a guide and maybe not having a packer? Having never hunted goats…. How challenging logistically, is it for 2 younger guys to both kill on a 7 day hunt and only one guide? I’m definitely not opposed to going 1x1 but also considered extending the invite

I think it would be fine for Mt. Goats 2 with 1 guide if rifle hunting, and not too picky on trophy potential. most hunts don't last 7 days before a goat is shot. Just be clear on who gets first shot!

JP100

WKR
if everyone is on the same page at the start of the hunt there is no reason it wont work.
Ive guided 2x1 goat hunts. even shot 2 goats in one day, which is maybe not recommended haha

OP
AspenTimber
Gotcha, I always can appreciate needing a clear game plan in advance then just adapt to change… would the 2 partners/guide normally just pack the goat down to a base camp with a igloo cooler or something similar for storage then hike back up to go after goat number 2? Not sure how that would all look logistically haha

I don’t think you’d have any problems going 2x1.

Last year a friend and I shot 2 billies out of the same group on kodiak. The pack out sucked for sure. But given how the billies can group up together, it for sure is doable. Not sure id forgo the packer tho. Packing out camp and half a Billy is all you’re gonna want. The packer would let you both shoot a goat out of the same group and only have to make one trip in/out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
If you mean 2 guides (one guide and one packer) to one hunter, yes that's ideal! Otherwise no. And I've been on a couple of AK goat hunts.

Jimss

WKR
It really depends on the hunt. There are several different types of Alaska goat hunts. Kodiak vs glacier hunting vs SE Alaska timberline hunting vs boat hunts are all completely different scenarios.

It would be grueling to haul 2 large billies through the alder/devil's club jungle along the coast. When I say "jungle" I mean JUNGLE! Getting dropped off on a glacier above treeline or hunting from a boat along a coastline "may" be a piece of cake. There may be areas on Kodiak that have few alders with close proximidy to dropoff points? Other spots on Kodiak you may have dense alders and a super steep approach to get to goats. I would figure out which type of hunt you are interested in and figure out logistics from there. Your outfitter ought to have a good feel for what you would be up against.

Something else to consider is your physical condition and the condition of your guide and other hunter. How much can you carry on your back on super steep, extremely rough country? Do you have experience packing 100 lb loads off cliff country? How about adding alders, rock, devil's club, horrific weather, and slippery slopes to the equation.

Obviously there is a pretty good chance it may take a bit more time to shoot and pack 2 goats. How long is your goat hunt? Some areas in Alaska you may not even be able to see goats or even get to goats for quite a few days due to clouds and poor weather. Lots and lots of logistics when it comes to 2 successful hunters harvesting and packing out 2 goats!

Last edited: