3, 2, 1, bang! It finally worked!

We pulled off the impossible two ways yesterday :)

1) So many hunting shows have the part at the end where they just go to a new spot or try one last time and, bam, there’s the elk. I’ve never experienced this.

2) the other impossible hunt is the “3, 2, 1, bang!” Twofer. Every time I’ve tried that all we end up with is one rushed shot and a bunch of running elk.

well yesterday was the last day of the cow season. We saw a TON of migratory elk all on private land, literally hundreds with hundreds more over a ridge we couldn’t see). While driving around trying to make a plan to cut them off on public, we ran into two other friends hunting.

we all joined forces, found a nice ridge we thought we could use to cut them off before private land. Worked just like in the shows! We found some small groups moving toward the herd.

filled all our tags and had a great time! Just fun, minimal stress, and basic elk hunting. It was the first time I’ve had a good time “road hunting”. And the pack out was basically a “drag out” and pretty easy.

normally I love the grueling nature of mountain hunting and hiking. But it was so much fun to get out with some friends and just have fun hunting. Really wonderful way to wrap up the big game season. ((As always I forgot to get any pictures...just imagine 3 cow elk on the ground)). Anyway, hope Eveyone had a blast this season, enjoy the holidays and dreaming of screaming elk in 10 more months :)

OP
A
Added bonus, one of our friends had a really lovely older man with him. Great stories, nicest guy, and still hunting hard in his late 70s.

this is the kind of stuff I love about hunting. The animals are amazing, the sport is so much fun, but the good people I meet are the best part!

bsnedeker

WKR
Nice job! I really appreciate some nice and easy cow/doe hunts after putting in a few months of hard work chasing the big boys.

OP
A
Nice job! I really appreciate some nice and easy cow/doe hunts after putting in a few months of hard work chasing the big boys.
For sure! It was a nice way to end a long season. Every year has it's ups and downs and times where I'm never hunting again. It's really cool to be able to to end on a high note, looking forward to next year.

Congrats. It is always best to have an easy Cow hunt. Leave the hard stuff for Bull hunting. They will kick
your ass enough anyway.....

OP
A
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?!?!

Specially when you get to do it with friends!
The “plan” is what I love about elk hunting. Anticipating movement, reading terrain, trying to figure out what the elk want and are doing. I love the plan!