3# 2.3oz rifle

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
Hi guys,

I've been dreaming of a lightweight rifle for many years. I'm not a hunter or a shooter, but I really love light things. Looking over rifles and parts for years now I just had a burning desire to build something knowing I could design something lighter than what was currently available.

After tons of research I decided to build an AR-15 as I could build it without any special skills and minimal special tools, I could also get it a pound lighter than the lightest bolt rifle parts list I could put together.

After 2 years of buying parts, researching, dreaming and scheming I've finally finished something I am very proud of. This rifle has more plastic/carbon fiber in it than steel and being an AR-15 is limited in power but still I think it's pretty cool

16" 6.5 Grendel barrel, carbon hand guard, carbon stock, carbon lower, polymer upper, polymer lpk, aluminum bcg and basically the lightest option for every part used put together makes a 3# 2.3oz rifle. I still need a mag (~2oz) and some rounds to test fire but thought I'd show her off

IMG_0782.jpg

-Tim

Last edited:
OP
MarshLaw303

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
Grendel is the most power/range you can stuff in an ar-15 in a factory loaded caliber. If I hand loaded I'd want .257 bobcat or 7mm Valkyrie.

-Tim

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
That thing is pretty sweet, still makes me nervous that it is almost all polymer. I think I would test fire 20 rounds with a string about 20 feet away. I also get nervous figuring out my rifles max load before I see signs of pressure when reloading.

That is pretty amazing that you have a semiautomatic rifle sub 3 1/2 lbs.

OP
MarshLaw303

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
Polymer upper is the only part that makes me kinda nervous. All other parts are highly reputable. Slick side aluminum upper would only add 2oz though if the polymer one is a no go, I already have it on my 223 I could swap out. I have tested the lower with my 223 uppers (I have one of those that weighs in the same as the Grendel) and it works great. Polymer trigger is better than the Milspec trigger :)

OP
MarshLaw303

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
I know the ar-10 would be heavier than the lightest bolt rifle list I made so I wasn't interested. I've seen a guy on the 68 forum who got one to under 5# but I was shooting for 3# so wasn't interested

OP
MarshLaw303

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
I have more than I should wrapped up in her, buying duplicate parts to shave weight and such, but my current parts list shows $1522.17 if you got the right parts the first time.

-Tim

OP
MarshLaw303

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
still need a Titanium grip screw and to remove the bolt catch once I tune the gas and it'll be 3# 1.something ounces. If I can get to polymer selector working that should be good for a few tenths an oz too. I may also switch the taccom 2-piece buffer out for a carbine buffer sans weights for another .2oz savings. I feel like I may never stop trimming. If i went with a titanium non adjustable gas block and add in an adjustable gas key I could get another .15oz off her back.

Once I can't go lighter with parts I may have to put it on the mill ;)

alukban

FNG
Very nice :)

What sights will be mounted?

For some things, the polymer version isn't always the lightest. As an example, 30 round GI metal mags actually weigh less than the Magpuls... just sayin' ;)

I would love to see a complete parts list!

robtattoo

WKR
What about whipping 4" off the barrel & replacing it with a 4" titanium flash hider?
IIRC as long ad it's permanently attached it won't fall under NFA regs as an sbr.
That's gotta be good for 4oz.....

OP
MarshLaw303

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that polymer isn't always lighter, but I've been counting. I have some aluminum 10rnd mags heading my way now. Hoping I can run at least 3 rounds of Grendel in there before they bulge.

Scope is leupold 2-7 ultralight in aero precision mount. It's on there now, just not in the photo. It's under 4# scoped, didn't weigh it but, math.

I wanted a real rifle that weighed ~3#, not one that made it on a technicality. If I cut off 4" now I may run into a dwell time issue with my mid length gas system. Also I wanted to build something with standard non-custom parts to show what anyone could make, not just if you're a machinist. I do want to build a 12.5" pistol eventually though;). Also if I did what you suggest I'd want aluminum, it's lighter than titanium and very under used in firearms parts. My .223 has a 1oz aluminum muzzle brake that is great and lighter than anything similar

OP
MarshLaw303

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
That's where I was Dave. It was only once I realized how light I could build one that I started being interested. Previously the tacticool aspect kept me looking other directions

16Bore

WKR
You couldn't give me an AR.

Well, except that one. Pretty badass.