3/4 ton Ford vs GMC gas mileage

tdhanses

WKR
I would tend to agree, the mileage on the little duramax is attractive, however, the payload on these half ton diesels is very low, and to get to the max 13k towing, you're adding a package, and may have to give up some capability (4x4 even?, I'm not a dealer or sales person, but have looked at them). if you're towing around 10K (with the max package) you'd be close to or over the payload.

Coworker has a higher trim 2021 GMC with 3.0L duramax in it, and payload is only 1,350 lbs or so, per the sticker on the door. That compares to our 2500 Silverado duramax with payload of over 2800 lbs (still not great for a 3/4 ton, but its a 4x4 LTZ) and my F350 7.3L with payload over 4100 lbs (has camper package and higher GVW).
I think GM should put the little 3.0 in 3/4 tons as well, It is a great and very efficient motor, easily will pull 12k but limited by being put in a 1/2 ton. I would prefer the weight of a 3/4 ton and the efficiency of a smaller diesel, we don’t all need 1000ftlbs of torque.

I really like my 3.0 I will say, it pulls the same loads so much better in the mountains then my gas F250 did, it just isn’t as fun in a cross wind.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
It sure is amazing that even with 10 speed transmissions we still can’t get better fuel economy out of these bigger gas motors.

jimh406

WKR
I've found that on bigger trucks, GMs have better MPG and Fords have more power. Another option unless you don't have a truck is keep what you have, and do a minor upgrade on the current truck. You skip the depreciation which is a lot of money to do mods on your current truck. Have fun.

go_deep

WKR
'17 2500HD 6.0 crew cab, long box.. Maintains about 500# of equipment in the cab, roughly 1,000# with the utility box and equipment in the boxes. I do 83 up and down the interstate all the time, plus lots of rural driving, pull a couple different kinds of trailers. Averages around 12 without trailer, about 8 with trailer.

It sure is amazing that even with 10 speed transmissions we still can’t get better fuel economy out of these bigger gas motors.
Its mostly a function of truck aerodynamics with the limited amount of energy in gas vs more in diesel

My first 3/4 ton was a 95 F250 with a 460 and a 5sp it got 7mpg on a good day.

My current truck has twice the power and gets twice the mileage, cars aren’t getting double the mpg’s that they were 25yrs ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sasquatch

WKR

They keep making the vehicle bigger at the same time as trying to make them efficient.

Them min MPG requirements are based off of some calculation of vehicle size (like a total volume) thing from my understanding

This is a lot of what killed the small truck and single cab market. It’s just easier to meet the requirements with bigger vehicles.

Dumb I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
My first 3/4 ton was a 95 F250 with a 460 and a 5sp it got 7mph on a good day.

My current truck has twice the power and gets twice the mileage, cars aren’t getting double the mpg’s that they were 25yrs ago.

Double the power, 3/4 the weight, smaller tires, overdrive or twice the gears and a lot more refinement. Yep.

I’ve had and driven several 460’s and 454’s from the late 80’s and 90’s. Yeah I’ve gotten as bad of fuel economy as you could imagine… especially pulling. Hauled hay with a f250 460 that couldn’t get over 6 empty, took 2 tanks of fuel to get out of town .

I have a 2000 v10 Ford that averages around 12. So in 22 years a 6.8 vs whatever still gets around 12. Hell my 70’s international 345 with a 3 speed got around 8 and that thing would go places without showing a single dent.

My 95 Chevy 5.7 would get 16-18 on a average (empty) and my 2013 tundra 5.7 couldn’t get 14 on the highway. Had a 92 f250 with a 351 that would get around 15 no matter what. I’ve driven several of the Ford 6.2’s and most get 12-14 and some actually get 16 and I’ve actually driven one that got 18 on a road trip.

That’s why most people try to get diesels in order to get a little more economy. But that isn’t always true either.

I was just saying the motors are no longer a 60k motor that anyone can rebuild, they regularly go 200k or higher. So we have come a long way. Just don’t see why we can’t get a little better economy out of a whole lot better product.

tdhanses

WKR
Double the power, 3/4 the weight, smaller tires, overdrive or twice the gears and a lot more refinement. Yep.

I’ve had and driven several 460’s and 454’s from the late 80’s and 90’s. Yeah I’ve gotten as bad of fuel economy as you could imagine… especially pulling. Hauled hay with a f250 460 that couldn’t get over 6 empty, took 2 tanks of fuel to get out of town .

I have a 2000 v10 Ford that averages around 12. So in 22 years a 6.8 vs whatever still gets around 12. Hell my 70’s international 345 with a 3 speed got around 8 and that thing would go places without showing a single dent.

My 95 Chevy 5.7 would get 16-18 on a average (empty) and my 2013 tundra 5.7 couldn’t get 14 on the highway. Had a 92 f250 with a 351 that would get around 15 no matter what. I’ve driven several of the Ford 6.2’s and most get 12-14 and some actually get 16 and I’ve actually driven one that got 18 on a road trip.

That’s why most people try to get diesels in order to get a little more economy. But that isn’t always true either.

I was just saying the motors are no longer a 60k motor that anyone can rebuild, they regularly go 200k or higher. So we have come a long way. Just don’t see why we can’t get a little better economy out of a whole lot better product.

If 3/4 tons had a mandated mpg like all the 1/2tons, suv’s and cars we would see more efficiency. There is a reason 3/4ton up don’t show fuel mileage.