3/4 ton truck gas mileage?

fmyth

WKR
Be careful with camper size pulling behind a truck. If they are above a certain weight limit you will be required to have at minimum a class A non cdl license. I had to drive to Ohio and bring my buddies truck and camper back to pa and it ruined his hunting trip.
I live in and am licensed in AZ and regularly tow a 15,000 lb RV trailer through CA, a state that requires a non commercial class A for towing a trailer over 10,000 lbs. I've been stopped but never ticketed because the state where I am licensed does not offer a non commercial class A and does not require any additional endorsements to drive or tow any recreational vehicle. They cannot ticket you for not having a license that is not available to obtain in your state.

Marble

WKR
2012 F350, long bed with a camper shell. I'll average 13.5, but most of my driving is cruising around the ranch. I'd I stay off the ranch I'll average 16.

Freeway unloaded at 74 I'll get 18.5 to 19.

Pulling my 26' trailer I'll get 13ish. That's going up and down mountains.

Marble

WKR
I live in and am licensed in AZ and regularly tow a 15,000 lb RV trailer through CA, a state that requires a non commercial class A for towing a trailer over 10,000 lbs. I've been stopped but never ticketed because the state where I am licensed does not offer a non commercial class A and does not require any additional endorsements to drive or tow any recreational vehicle. They cannot ticket you for not having a license that is not available to obtain in your state.
Its 10k for a bumper pull, 15 for a 5th wheel.

Azone

WKR
I have a 07 Sierra Duramax and it has been a great truck so far. I bought it used three years ago from the original owner. I get about 20 to 22 on the highway depending how hard my foots in it.

Michael54

WKR
Pennsylvania does though. Its a real touchy thing for me when looking at campers. I have a class b cdl. If i get the class a non cdl it invalidates the class b. So my only option would be to get a class a cdl to cover it. I dont have the desire for a class a. Alot of the camper dealerships around here wont mention it to people buying campers.

Have had 3 dodge diesels and 3 GM diesels.
- Daily driving 13-15mpg, idle to warm up - stop and go driving.
- Down the highway/interstate average 18-21.
- Pulling depends on the load and terrain. Horse/stock/camper anywhere from 8-16 depending on load.
- Smaller trailers (atvs/enclosed) I don't see much of a difference.

GM trucks have given me 0 issues. Dodge haven't had any motor issues, but lots of issues with other drive train parts (u joints/ball joints going out from day one).

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Haha, I know right. I haven’t heard of any manual options, think that is becoming an option of the past which sucks.

They only way to get a new 3/4 or 1 ton in a manual transmission is to go with Ram. They are only ones who do it now. That G56 6 speed manual paired with that Cummins is an absolute workhorse powertrain. The truck will fall apart around it WAY before you break in that motor and tranny lol.

CamoHD

FNG
Downside with diesels is they are a bear to start in the cold without a block heater.

Upside is they last forever, get great mileage, and pull like tanks
Can't speak for other brands but my GMC Duramax starts better than any gas vehicle I have ever owned in cold temperatures I live up in Saskatchewan Canada and it gets cold up here during White Tale season -30°C(-22°F) and lower where I hunt in the middle of a forest out an canvas straight wall tent there is no place to plug it in and it starts up no problem it dosnt sound very good until warms up a bit

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
2011 Ram 3/4 T Cummins crew short box, 185K Miles. Just returned from a trip from NW Minnesota to Alaska, 7606 Miles through all terrain types from flat farmland to the mountains. Towed my Ranger on a steel trailer for the whole trip. Averaged 14.1 round trip. I get 17-20 on the interstate @73 mph, empty, depending on wind.

I deleted my truck at 100K miles after the Cummins warranty expired. The only reason for do so is that the O2 sensors kept going out and throwing a code and the CEL light would come on. Every single time I called the dealer, (30 miles away) I was told that the O2 sensors were on national backorder. I finally got tired of the run around and did the delete. I used a Motorops tuner, set on "light tow", and all is good now.

As far as starting goes, I don't bother plugging in the block heater until we get sustained well below zero weather. For us in this part of the country, that usually means about 2 weeks in late January - early February. I have the block heater on a timer and it comes on for 2-3 hours in the morning before I leave. Starts right up.

Hope this helps.

MNBill

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Thanks for the responses guys! I’m in no hurry to buy a truck, so I’m just building my knowledge base at the moment.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Pennsylvania does though. Its a real touchy thing for me when looking at campers. I have a class b cdl. If i get the class a non cdl it invalidates the class b. So my only option would be to get a class a cdl to cover it. I dont have the desire for a class a. Alot of the camper dealerships around here wont mention it to people buying campers.
I believe you can get around that in PA if you combo tag the truck. I have my 2001 Chevy 2500HD Combo tagged at 26K lbs with a goose neck

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
As a side note; CA tells me I can no longer run my2004 F550 diesel Stake bed dump in Ca after Jan 1st. So I had to dump it at a big loss of what its worth...all due to emission changes....costs more to upgrade the emissions than the truck is worth.

If CA is mandating this, then they should be paying for the emissions upgrades. I'd tell them to pound sand.

tdhanses

WKR
If CA is mandating this, then they should be paying for the emissions upgrades. I'd tell them to pound sand.

They are doing it to truckers as well, where it is cheaper to update vs buy a new semi. You can tell them to pound sand all day long but they just won’t register it, so operate at your own risk for those that did that and being CA you would probably get a stiffer sentence then an illegal that kills a young girl.

Man I hope CA ideas say in CA.

Cody_W

WKR
I have a 2018 F250 and average ~15mpg mixed driving but that is leveled and 37s. Before the wheels and tires I got 21mpg unloaded and 18mpg pulling our 23ft airstream from Austin to Yellowstone last summer.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
They are doing it to truckers as well, where it is cheaper to update vs buy a new semi. You can tell them to pound sand all day long but they just won’t register it, so operate at your own risk for those that did that and being CA you would probably get a stiffer sentence then an illegal that kills a young girl.

Man I hope CA ideas say in CA.

Ya, they want to turn everyone into a criminal, except the criminals. If CO did that crap.......I'd move. And ya, I know it's coming. Already preparing.

I have a 2014 gmc 2500. Crew long bed. Load with a 16 foot trailer we got 14 mpg on a trip to Colorado. Empty 19-20 depending on fuel quality.

4ester

WKR
Been super happy with my 2012 Ford 3/4 ton supercrew with the 6.2. I get around 15-16 mpg highway and 13-14 around town.

We have a plow truck to get into some remote locations at work with the 6.2. I will say that truck has been through absolute hell with very little maintenance and is still pushing snow. Very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought a 2019 chevy double cab(smaller then crew cab but still 4 doors that open the same way) 4wd, 8' bed and 6.0 gas/6 speed automatic. 1st 500 miles around town I averaged about 14mpg. On the way out to Montana(truck had a decent load in it w/ all the DIY huntin gear) I got about 13mpg. On way home averaged about 15 mpg, Down hill maybe heading east? Truck has 4:10's, all the 2500's had 4.10's for some reason. Maybe because nj traffic sucks w/ all the intersections and stop lights is the reason for no nj dealerships carrying 3/4 ton 3.73 trucks? My dad was a diesel mechanic for 34 years, he claims the last good diesel pickup was the 12 valve 5.9 cummins. He hates all newer modern day diesels. Like many have stated above, if your not towing HEAVY loads regularly gas is the ticket. The up front cost, maintenance, complicated systems, and price of diesel fuel make it a no brainer. The new chevy gas engine looks promising for performance numbers as well as the return of a cast iron block. Ultimately I think all new trucks suck, they have too many complicated systems. I prefer a old school distributor w/ a single coil. I still travel with tools but it's very unlikely they will save the day like the old days. I'm on the look out for a very clean late 70's chevy 4wd 1 ton to be restored to a reliable daily driver before there all rotted away/picked apart.