3 day elk hunt

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
Has any other members only had three days to hunt elk, and been successful? I have been fortunate to connect with bulls on several occasions with only 2-4 days to hunt, due to work, family, taking care of animals, working on the house, etc. I wish I had more time this fall, but I can only attain 2 3 days periods to elk hunting in my home state of Montana. Im working in northern MN this year and can get out for the opening 3 days Oct 23-25 and later in the season when the weather sets in. Im a full 15 hours drive to my hunting spot, but I plan to make the trips, bc I hate the thought of missing out a year, not spending time in Gods country, and not possibly getting an elk to eat. I will have a full days travel on each end. I’d like to hear everyone else’s thoughts? Good luck this season

NEO

FNG
agree with Jeremy if you have a spot where you know the area believe 2-3 days is all you really need to be successful

OP
P

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
I have actually decided to hunt an entirely different spot that have wanted to hunt in the Little Belts, but have never hunted, that will take off 10 hours of drive time (5 hours each way). It will be a good scouting mission and maybe locate a few spots for later in November.

We hunt 1st rifle in Colorado every year. We go to the same spot every year. 90+% of our elk are shot in the first 2 days. Our success goes way down once the weekend hunters are out of the woods and the elk find their safe spaces to hunker down

If you know your spot and your game-plan heck yeah go for it. I think I could do it where I hunt if I shot the first legal bull I saw. There is always a chance of dumping one on the first morning. Can you shoot cows in the unit you hunt?

OP
P

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, any elk are legal in central Montana. The other districts I hunt are branched bull only, so I plan to hunt open up more areas where any elk is legal.

Only you know if you can get it done. If cows are fair game I can shoot one in 2 days max where I’m at. But I’ve pounded the area for 10 years straight.

NEO

FNG
I would agree with Indian Summer. You get a cow it gets that monkey off your back.