3 day/week training suggestions

Teaman1

WKR
Had a “self made” program that seemed to work last year but will have less time to work with this year. I already workout, but like to switch the training 6 weeks out. If you only had time to work out 3 days a week (mon, wed, Friday) what would you’re program look like to train for a mountain back pack hunt?

Lots of squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, shoulder presses, cleans, weighted box step ups, kettle bell swings, Turkish get ups, calf raises with some rucking and stair climber with a pack thrown in especially as it got closer to the season. Doesn’t need to be heavy weights but I bet you’d get a lot of the cardio benefits just doing the compound exercises especially if you super set them and the workout would go quick. Just my idea of what I would do.

Poser

WKR
Backsquat

Press: bench press/ standing OH press

Pull: deadlift, chin-ups, barbell rows, power cleans, power snatches

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
The reason I’m asking is the wife is due early August so I’ll be cramped on time haha. I’m trying to figure out a transition from the weight room to rucking and doing more cardio, but still getting some weights in.
Maybe tuck Monday and Friday, then full body lifting on Wednesday

Day one: Aerobic Capacity (Tire Drags)
Day Two: General strength - squats, presses, lunges,Pulls, hinge type movements
Day Three: Aerobic Capacity (cycling, running, rucking)

Free program here from Exo Mtn Gear - written by us.

For me endurance is more important than strength...in August I can shoot from 4am to midnight in the Alaska mountains. I don't lift anymore. I backpack with a 50-lb pack in the hills year round 3-5 days per week and hiking without a pack at twice that distance at least twice a week, gradually lengthening hikes as the days get longer.
Running used to be my daily morning routine, for the past decade, its been backpacking even at -25 degrees F.

For me, I need long distance hikes twice a week, year round (I'm 63 years old)

I am fortunate that I can do this because it takes time...by July I am hiking 10-12 hours in the mountains, twice a week. Lifting will not condition my feet, break in my boots, or allow me to fine tune my backpacks. Plus I enjoy backpacking year round, and if I enjoy it I am more likely to do it....

I realize that many hunters do not have easy access to hills and mountains, so realize I am blessed from that perspective.

I run every chance I get now, even though I hate it! I'm in the same boat and usually only have 3 days a week I can plan on working out for a decent amount of time, 4 days if I'm lucky. Three days a week I do 30-60 mins weights at the gym followed by 20-30 minutes on the stair stepper. Then the second I see I'm not needed for 20-30 minutes at home, I'm out the door going for run! I used to make a lot of excuses for not having enough time for stuff like that in the past, but they were just excuses.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
There are a bunch of 5/3/1 2 day templates you can run if you want to keep weightlifting a part of your workouts. Also new baby just means you’ll have to take those rare times they’re asleep to throw the pack on and get 10-30 minutes in walking around the neighborhood. You can also get yourself a sled, some plates and run it in your drive way for cardio. It wont prep you for weight on your back but it will certainly get your endurance up.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
IF (luckily I don't have to :)) I had to limit the number of workouts to just three- Monday I would hike w/ pack (increasing weight slowly) for an hour and increasing the time/distance; Wednesday I would strength train and hit squats/deadlifts/bench/overhead press- 3 sets each, reps between 5 and 1 (probably would still follow Wendler 5//5/5+ week one, 3/3/3+ week two, 5/3/1+ week three, reload week 4), Friday would look just like Monday :)

Congrats on the upcoming new addition!

OFFHNTN

WKR
IF (luckily I don't have to :)) I had to limit the number of workouts to just three- Monday I would hike w/ pack (increasing weight slowly) for an hour and increasing the time/distance; Wednesday I would strength train and hit squats/deadlifts/bench/overhead press- 3 sets each, reps between 5 and 1 (probably would still follow Wendler 5//5/5+ week one, 3/3/3+ week two, 5/3/1+ week three, reload week 4), Friday would look just like Monday :)

Congrats on the upcoming new addition!

Good post, thankfully I don't have to limit it to just 3 workouts. But, you pretty much nailed what I would do and suggest as well!

zacattack

WKR
Me and my wife are about 3 weeks away from our first. My plan is more shorter workouts, focusing on whole body movements and then 30 minutes run at some point during the day. I think those will be able to squeeze in during naps better.

Block

WKR
The gym helps a tiny tiny bit (and I’m a fan of lifting) but ain’t nothin guna prepare you for hiking but hiking... make sure your boots fit PERFECT and spend the extra $ on good socks.. Iv lately realized how much good socks help. Hurts to spend $25+ on socks but worth every penny.