3 Fletch Bohning Heat Vane w/ Broadhead

cvanman

Lil-Rokslider
I have been shooting the Bohning Heat vane in a 4 fletch for a couple of years. I really like the vane.

I was thinking about switching to a 3-fletch. I will also be using this arrow for hunting with both fixed and mechanical broadheads.

On Bohnings website they recommend using 4 fletch with the Heat if using broadheads.

Has anyone had any luck with 3 fletch and broadheads with the Heat vane?

I could not get them to group as well as other vanes after about 30 using Exodus, micro hades and annihilator fixed, and Sevr 1.75 and G5 deadmeats. Usable, just not as tightly grouped at the 3 fletch higher profile/larger vanes. Out of the 5, the deadmeats grouped the best with the 3 fletch vanes I usually use in 4 fletch. I’ll stick with the Bully in 3 fletch as my go to.

The heat IMO just isnt enough vane for 3 fletch and BH. I do like them in 3 fletch when shooting 3d and field points to get a few extra yards of clearance. But given the choice between 4 fletch heats/pro max/hybrid 23 or 3 fletch bully/vanetec hd/super sabres/max stealth/hybrid 26, Ill take all the 3 fletch before any of the 4 fletch options I tried.

I tried 3 fletch in 3 different vanes Ive used 4 fletch - Heat, Pro Max and Hybrid 23 - and all of them had similar results. To me those are all pretty solidly 4 fletch only with BHs. Especially the pro max.

Max hunter and regular blazers were just too loud in comparison to the others with field points to even make it to broadheads.

Last edited:
I have used 3 fletch heat for some of my broadhead vanes over the past few years. I can get all my broadheads to fly true with them, in practice.

They are quiet. I use them comfortably with exodus swept, iron will solid, g5 striker and any mechanical head.

When I get to larger heads I don't trust the heat vanes to correct my mistakes in the "heat" of the moment with 3 fletch. Most of my large fixed heads I have AAE stealth vanes. Just for that extra forgiveness.

They will work, but in a hunting situation where you might not be perfect I want a little extra for large fixed heads. Full Exodus, IW wide, any solid 3 blade head I put more drag on the back of the shaft.

Bump79

WKR
I could not get them to group as well as other vanes after about 30 using Exodus, micro hades and annihilator fixed, and Sevr 1.75 and G5 deadmeats. Usable, just not as tightly grouped at the 3 fletch higher profile/larger vanes. Out of the 5, the deadmeats grouped the best with the 3 fletch vanes I usually use in 4 fletch. I’ll stick with the Bully in 3 fletch as my go to.

The heat IMO just isnt enough vane for 3 fletch and BH. I do like them in 3 fletch when shooting 3d and field points to get a few extra yards of clearance. But given the choice between 4 fletch heats/pro max/hybrid 23 or 3 fletch bully/vanetec hd/super sabres/max stealth/hybrid 26, Ill take all the 3 fletch before any of the 4 fletch options I tried.

I tried 3 fletch in 3 different vanes Ive used 4 fletch - Heat, Pro Max and Hybrid 23 - and all of them had similar results. To me those are all pretty solidly 4 fletch only with BHs. Especially the pro max.

Max hunter and regular blazers were just too loud in comparison to the others with field points to even make it to broadheads.
I'll agree with everything said here. Vanes in my experience are kind of a go/no go.

With a fixed head a 3 fletch as long as you're over 2" on length and .5" high the differences the average archer can discern is noise, adhesion & durability.