#3 NOR-CAL BIRD, Natural setup tagged-out!

trkyslr

WKR
Even after a great night at the Cali WSF dinner with several other bowsiters and a few drinks, i was up and at'm sunday morning ready to fill my third and final Cali tag. The first spot joe and i went to we had birds come off the roost from 200 yards away and race by us gobbling in the dark of morning before we could even setup. Ive never seen birds fly out of roost so early and cover ground. Once those birds moved off we relocated and got a quick double gobble response a few hundred yards away. We quickly setup and my next call was cutoff by the bird which was only 30 yards below me. Within a few seconds a solo longbeard strutted into the decoys. I was 10 yards from the decoys in natural setup against a tree. As the bird went behind a small bush i got to full draw undetected. The longbeard strutted up to the jake decoy and as he was trying to intimidate the jake deek moving oh so slowly he gave me a frontal shot. I sent the arrow tipped with a VPA spur right through his chest and he went 15 yards before he expired. It was the shortest hunt of the season and i'll take it. Tagged out on 3 lb all natural setup call ins within 12 yards and cant be happier with our results. This bird was a 2 year old who read the script and is now a star as joe got the hunt on film over the shoulder. Deff one of the funnest and most rewarding seasons i can think of. Now a couple more weeks to help friends and family fill their tags hopefully.
#3 5.JPG#3 3.jpg#3 2.jpg#3 1.jpg

OP
T

trkyslr

WKR
The vpa spur performed great.. Bird went 15 yards and was dead within seconds!#3 4.JPG

OP
T

trkyslr

WKR
Did the VPA spur fly any differently than a normal 2 blade broadhead? I have been considering adding some of the these to my collection. Congrats btw!
i cant compare it to a 2 blade bh but it flew the same as my other 3 blade bh's, which is rt with my fps.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildmeadows