3-person, 3 season free standing tent.

My old REI 3 person tent is showing its age. It was leaking s bit last year. I pulled it out a re-sealed the fly but I am thinking about an update / upgrade. Looking for something that will hold 2 large people and gear.

I use this mainly for summer backpacking but it makes it to the occasional hunt early in the year where snow isn’t an issue.

The copper spur seems popular here if not a bit pricey:

Seems like the competitors are grouped around $300-350. For $500, I almost want to save my pennies and go with a Zpacks tent at half the weight for a couple hundred more.

What say he, roksliders?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
MSR Elixir 3!!! Tons of space, granted a bit heavy at 7 pounds but able to put my wife and I in there along with our daughter with her bulky little pea pod inside which is much wider than a standard sleeping pad. Would actually sleep 3 adults in this tent which is a rarity in a "3 person tent" :)

yDQ5stJ.jpg

JNYd2gD.jpg

And the pole design that intersect in 4 different places is actually much stouter any other 3 season tent I have used to seen in action personally.

https://www.amazon.com/MSR-Elixir-3-Person-Lightweight-Backpacking/dp/B078KKXC9P

What sleep pads are those?

i'm looking at the Tarptent Stratospire2 myself. Looks like it could fit 3 people if needed. I think only about 1.25# more than the comparable Zpack Triplex BUT half the price.

OP
Desk Jockey
I like the looks of Tarptent StratoSpire. I especially like that you can pitch the inner or the fly separately.

My focus has been on 3 person but I really ought to be a bit more thoughtful about the inner size. I am 6’3” Andy my hiking and hunting partner is 6’5”. I would also see use with me and my two preteen kids. So, a bigger 2 person could work.

Think it's the route I am going to go. I intend to use it with me, my wife, and dog for summer backpacking trips and given the pictures on their site - it looks plenty big for all 3 of us, and even some gear inside. But the double vestibule will come in handy for packs and boots. Like you, I was also looking at a Zpacks (triplex), but that price for a tent is steep. Tarptent gets good reviews on here, and the fact that it's still a <4# tent for half the price...sold!

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
copper spur 3 fits me at 6 ft 4 and my 6 ft4 son on our elk hunt last fall. It is easy to set up and 2 doors. Pretty light vents well, 2 vestibules. It is really a nice 2 person tent just like all 3 person rated tents.