3 person backpacking tent?

Wvroach

WKR
Looking for a new tent, want to fit the wife, myself and the dog so figured 3 person would be best.

Normally it's just me in my 1 person tent/tarp unless we are at a campground and I bring the bigger tent or wall tent, she is wanting to start going in the Backcountry some this spring. What I'm looking for is something semi lightweight prefer to be around 6lbs if possible and I'd like to keep it under the 600$ mark preferably. Suggestions? Thanks

Jbehredt

WKR
I’ve got the non hotel version of the copper spur. HV UL3. It a nice tent. Lots of room inside for 2 and a dog. I’d get the footprint for extra peace of mind with dog nails.

Decker9

WKR
Our fam uses both the msr HHNX and the mutha hubba, both are great tents. We pair the msr gear shed with either tent for our dog. I think the gear shed added 1lb to the total weight.

I use to keep my dog in the tent with me, but found I ended up with poke holes in my sleeping bag

OP
Wvroach

Wvroach

WKR
Hadn't really considered the dog puncturing sleeping bags, she doesn't in the big tents but she has plenty of room as not to come on to the bedding. Definitely don't want to deal with that, may leave her in the vestibule area through the night. Thanks for the input so far.

willidru

WKR
I’m in same boat as OP the BA UL2 is way too small for me and the wife. Looking at the Cooper Spur UL3 as suggested any comparisons with Tarptent Cloudburst or SO Cimmaron with nest?

Rick653

FNG
Lux has some decent options. I have a mini peak and like it alot. Also just got an email that said they have a tent and stove combo sale right now

IdahoHntr

WKR
If your down to go floorless, the SJK Outpost 4 would be great. I’ve had mine for two seasons now and it has been solid through some nasty storms and has tons of room! Great price and under 5 lbs. Comes with a pole and lightweight stakes as well.

OP
Wvroach

Wvroach

WKR
If your down to go floorless, the SJK Outpost 4 would be great. I’ve had mine for two seasons now and it has been solid through some nasty storms and has tons of room! Great price and under 5 lbs. Comes with a pole and lightweight stakes as well.
I'm fine with floorless, normally use a tarp when it's just me. think the wife probably would rather have a floor though I have a sjk tarp that's done well for the $. I'll check them out. Thankfully I'm not to rushed and have another 2 months before I'll start needing it.