3 pin slider sight suggestions

gibby97

FNG
Been using Trophy Ridge React 5 pin sight past few years and am looking at changing to a 3 pin slider that has a sturdier base. Been going back and forth between Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL and Black Gold Ascent. I mainly deer hunt with a trip once a year out west. What do you all recommend on these 2 brands for hunting purposes and am leaving out a sight that I should be looking at?

Need to decide exactly what you want. For durability I don't think you can beat a Tommy Hogg, or if you want a dovetail look at the Hogg Father. You can use a 3 pin housing on them, or try the new triple stack. The penalty with the SH's are the weight. I have generally used a Tommy for a hunting sight, with a variety of housings. The Fast Eddie isn't built as heavy as the others, also has open gears. I don't have enough experience with them to say one way or another, tho they do offer a zero stop which is nice.

The MBG sights are nice, are known for their bright pins, they have a patented system on their fiber optics. Generally I don't view them as durable as some other sights, but they are lightweight.

The Axcel Landslyde is another nice option. It has a zero stop on it as well to get it back from dialing. Then they have the Accutouch that has a detent system. It basically gives you little settings to dial to, so you can actually do it by feel instead of looking at a tape. Both offer a single, 3, or 5 pin option.

OutdoorAg

WKR
I was in your same shoes and chose the Black Gold Pro Hunter HD. Zero complaints. Put it on a 4" wing truss and take it off when the bow goes in the hard case for transport. Slide it back on and the sight is never off. Always zeros where I left it.

Has the spot for a 2nd yardage indicator if you want to run 2 indicators.

I ended up pulling 1 pin out and use it as a 2 pin for now.

Bump79

WKR
I'm personally not a MBG fan. I don't care for the feel of their slider knob, micro adjust wasn't as refined, 3rd axis never stayed put and it didn't seem as sturdy as others. I'm currently shooting a Option 4 and a B3 Comp Hunter. Both are very solid and lightweight.

The downside to the Option 4 is my 20 yard pin is way at the top of my housing to allow for further range. I find myself less accurate when it is maxed up like this vs more centered in my housing. If you shot a 7 pin in the past like I did then you'll be familiar with it and maybe it's not a big deal. However, you can flip it out and shoot it wide open which is really nice.

The B3 Comp Hunter is a fine piece of machining. It just feels light, strong, micro adjust is extremely precise and I like the auger type drive system albeit a little slower. Downside is the fiber retention on the pins or lack thereof. Brush will pull off the fiber and frustrate you. However, the pins are small and tough as they are a hardened steel vs aluminum pins like on others so very strong.

Wheels

WKR
I had a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL 2 pin and sold it, didn’t like the pin setup, guess I’m a horizontal pin guy. Switched to a MBG Mountain Lite 3 pin and have no complaints, I like the straight yardage tape bar vs. the wheel bar for attaching sight tapes to, just is easier for me to put the tape on straight. Haven’t had any issues with durability.

For the money, definitely hard to beat CBE Trek Pro Hybrid, or even the Engage Hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
So which sight do you like and why do you like it better than SH?

I’m currently using the Tetra Max, but mine is a single pin. I tried the SH Fast Eddie with the triple stack and hated it. The SH seemed really heavy, the pins weren’t as bright, and it didn’t have a rheostat. Those are just a few things I didn’t like about it.

KHNC

WKR
Look into Option Archery as well. Those sights are rock solid built! Use fixed or slider by flipping the housing over. They are a single pin slider but as many fixed pins as you would like. Perfect for western hunting or eastern tree stands.

I just went through the same decision. I bought and tried out the BG Mountain Lite. It was ok but felt a little flimsy. Pins are bright and adjusts easy. I sent it back and then bought the SH Fast Eddie Triple Stack (non xl version). The sight is the typical SH overbuilt and has been amazing. The vertical pins are clean and adjustments are easy. The sight is heavier than the BG but well worth it in my opinion.

Huntin_GI

WKR
Fell while crossing deadfall last year. Stablizer took the brunt of the fall and snapped. Next thing the hit was my sight housing. No damage. Still shot true.

Tommy Hogg.

OP
G

gibby97

FNG
Right or wrong i went with the fast Eddie xl today. Not sure about the weight but how much difference in 3 or 4oz really make. Main reason was how solidly built they are from all the reviews. Appreciate all the info here.

Buzzkill

FNG
I run a Fast Eddie dual pin on one bow and a Fast Eddie triple stack on my other bow. I think you will be very happy with your choice.

I've used the HHA 3 pin slider. But went to the HHA single pin because I prefer the "uncluttered" sight picture of the single pin. Just comes down to personal preference.

wmcbride

FNG
I’ve been using an MBG three pin slider to prep for hunting and do a little 3d.

So far the Verdict Ascent has functioned well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro