3 Season, 2 Person Tent - MSR vs Big Agnes

TOR

FNG
I am looking to purchase a good 2 man tent that will fit 2 plus a bit of gear. After some research I feel like I have narrowed it down to these 2 options:

MSR Elixir 3 vs Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3.

Both offer 2 vestibules and 2 points of entry, which I really like. Budget always come into play, I can get the MSR for a really good price (and the footprint is included), which leaves more room to purchase things like pad and bag.

Can anyone provide some real world feedback of experience with either or both? Let me know what you think!

Big Agnes has always worked for me. I love copper spur 1 P I ve had for 5 yrs. Replaced shock cord in poles for free this summer. I have 3P manzanares for family camping. Both great tents. Iwould buy tiger wall 3P if I was in market now. No experience w MSR but well rated.

RyanC

WKR
The first question that popped in my mind as soon as I read your question was, How many people will sleep in this tent. If you plan on sleeping 2 people in a 2 person tent, it's going to be tight!!

I have some experience with the Big Agnes Copper Spur line which works great, no experience with MSR tents.

Here's an extremely thorough review of 2 person tents

Good luck, probably can't go wrong with either company.

mlgc20

WKR
I've owned several versions of the Copper Spur and several MSR tents, although not the Elixir. If you're going to be backpacking with these tents, I think its an easy choice in favor of the Copper Spur. It weighs at least 2 pounds lighter. Light enough to even work as a solo tent if you wanted. If mostly car camping or doing light backpacking the MSR would be fine. The BA has more space inside, although the MSR has larger vestibules. Of course, the pricing is in favor of MSR. I would still advise spending the extra money and getting the BA. Both are very good companies. I've never needed customer service from BA, but they are supposedly top notch. I have used MSR customer service/warranty and found them to be excellent.

Fatcamp

WKR
We have a 3 person Copper Spur. Just went through ANOTHER horrible storm in it. Best tent I've ever owned by far.

*zap*

WKR
I had an elixir 1 and believe that a elixir 3 would be a great tent to have. I might get a 2 but I have too many tents already....

Decker9

WKR
That mindful hunter podcast did a recent review on a bunch of 2 man 3 season tents. In his review, he mentioned msr being the only tent to still use, carbon fiber poles, iirc.

Last week, a storm found a weak spot in my dads hubba hubba and broke it down on a sheep hunt. Broke a pole which continued to shred his tent and fly.

I’m not sure if the carbon pole is a real problem, but found it funny how we lost a hubba hubba only a week after listening to his podcast. He mentioned all the other tents now use a different pole material, again iirc.

I believe he has it on YouTube as well, might be worth checking out.

I have the big agnes copper spur ul2, great product. had it in the wind river range last summer in hailstorms and high wind and it held up great. Taking elk hunting this september and expect it to work out greay.

EMF

FNG
I have a brand new copper spur 3 and footprint in my gagrage. Make an offer.

I just got an xmid-2 that I plan to use from now on

Afhunter .... is there another way I can reach you? (new member, obviously - can't send PMs yet).

I"m in south-central PA and would be interested in the tent/footprint.

Afhunter .... is there another way I can reach you? (new member, obviously - can't send PMs yet).

I"m in south-central PA and would be interested in the tent/footprint.
Go with the BA Copper Spur UL 3. I've run the UL2 for solo backpack hunting and truck camping the last 4 years. The thing is a workhorse and hasn't failed me during heavy rains. Worth spending the xtra $.

EMF

FNG
Go with the BA Copper Spur UL 3. I've run the UL2 for solo backpack hunting and truck camping the last 4 years. The thing is a workhorse and hasn't failed me during heavy rains. Worth spending the xtra $.
That is on the list as well.

Figured it wouldn't hurt to see what AF is offering. Was looking at the MSR hubba series --- but that composite pole is a concern.

Thanks !

EMF

FNG
That is on the list as well.

Figured it wouldn't hurt to see what AF is offering. Was looking at the MSR hubba series --- but that composite pole is a concern.

Thanks !
To clarify .... I am *assuming* AFHunters Spur3 is an older model but won't know until he is able to make contact with me. :cool:

And we all know what assuming gets us .........

EMF

FNG
Gotta love that.

570-236-8977

Please text me ..... I'm deaf. So I won't be able to talk to you over the phone