3 Things Every Elkhunter Should Know

1. Know how to do your own homework. That is part of the fun of the off-season and preparation of your upcoming hunt. Instant gratification so you can brag to your buddy's shouldn't even enter your thoughts. So, learn how to read maps, GE, etc and learn about elk and why they do what they do and frequent the areas they frequent.

2. There is definitely more than 1 way to skin an elk. And this should of been number 1, and I know that guys who cannot call or only spot n stalk or only hunt from a treestand will disagree, but learn how to call! Elk communicate year round. I've heard elk bugle in June. Every elk hunter should know 3 basic sounds. Locate bugle, cow mews, and a nervous grunt. No matter your style or weapon of choice.

3. know your limitations. Don't pretend you are a Wilderness hunter if you've never hunted elk. No matter where you live. Elk are big and to waste an elk because you couldn't get it out sucks. Know the limitations of your shooting ability. Whether with a bow or a gun. Wounding animals sucks. And if you hunt long enough, it will happen! Not a question of if it will happen.

4. Buy quality gear! Don't buy cheap stuff. You will thank me later.

5. Get in some kind of shape. You don't need to be a triathlete, but you will need to be a Wilderness athlete. Hunting at 10k' is no joke.

I know I said 3 things elkhunters should know, but you get the picture. There is a whole lot more to know obviously. What advice do you have that we all should know when we enter the elkwoods. September is coming soon!

Scoot

WKR
Carry light raingear at all times. You'll thank me some day for this advice.

Make sure somebody knows where you're going to be (this will help to recover your body so your family can have a decent funeral for you).

Be aggressive. People complain about being too aggressive and how it "cost me that bull", but more elk are not shot because of being passive than from being too aggressive. But... you have to pick your time to be aggressive! You can't cheat the wind, so don't try. Be aggressive when the time is right.

Learn how and when to challenge a bull. It's better than sex and is a rush like no other to have a PO'd bull come charging in to kick your butt.

OP
trophyhill
When I mentioned doing your own homework, I look at maps and topos from a bunch of different sources. Remember, 4 eyes are better than 2. Though I hunt mostly solo, I talk to a friend and fellow elk killer who is a wizard at dissecting maps. So we will get on the phone and I'll bounce different locations off him as we disect the maps over the phone. I should mention that I'm not bad at picking my elk spots with or without help, but again, another set of eyes will see things you might overlook. I don't have the experience alot of you have getting started with this new passion in 2008, but I've been able to choose my spots solely off of maps, and I've hunted as many OTC units as I have years hunting elk, and find them every time! Without asking that favorite question I see so often. You know? The one that starts out like this? "Not asking for anyone's honeyhole" ;)

But the point being, you can find elk from the east coast without ever stepping foot in a unit.

Eric_mac

FNG
All great advice. Some I had to learn the hard way. I second good rain gear, a good pack, and good boots. Fit of boots and pack is critical. The more comfortable you are the harder and longer you'll hunt.

Poser

WKR
7. Get good at crapping in the woods, you don't wanna ruin your hunting gear with inexperience!

This is probably a good point. A lot of guys just are t very good at this. Also, spend $10 on a trowel and dig a damn cat hole.

Poser

WKR
One can still do their bizness without a trowel. Pull up a big rock or small, downed log....drop your stuff, burn the paperwork and replace said rock,log...

I did that for a long time, but picked up a trowel a while back and it’s definitely a way better way to go and a more reliable and versatile option.

OP
trophyhill
There can and will be highs and lows, your mindset during the lows will contribute to the ending adrenaline rush🥰 that will bring you back year after year decade after decade 👊 good luck

Ross is 100% spot on. The first year or 2 I'd blow an opportunity and get pissed at myself. Meanwhile while not paying attention an elk would materialize out of nowhere and I wasn't ready because briefly my head wouldn't be in the game because I was psycho analyzing what had just transpired. Essentially blowing another potential opportunity within minutes. Now my head stays on a swivel at all times in the elkwoods knowing the next opportunity could happen at any second

Wapiti1

WKR
Learn about thermals and NEVER leave the truck without a way to check the wind. If the wind is wrong, get it right before making your move. You may need to hike a long way to do that, or may just need to pull back and wait for the thermals to settle.

Jeremy

3 days to get acclimated. 4-5 to find elk. 2 more to get an opportunity and blow it. 3 more to get another opportunity. 2 to get an elk out. DON’T PLAN 1 WEEK ELK HUNTS! Everyone who does spend the off season repeating the words “If I just had 2 or 3 more days I know I could have got it done”

Be mentally prepared to be beat down. 3-4 days of bad weather, no elk or a combo of ten million other things that can go wrong, will take a toll on any hardy soul.