3 Things Every Elkhunter Should Know

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
BUT.... numbers don’t lie! If the success rate in a unit is say 15% that means for every 100 hunters that march up the mountain (or road hunt) 85 are going home empty handed. Surely all 100 planned on giving it hell. Studying online. Maybe even pre season scouting. Practicing shooting. Getting up early every day. Getting several miles from the road etc etc. So you have to ask yourself why did those 85 fail? What sets the other 15 apart from the rest? Keep in mind that half of those 15 are the same people every year. Why? What are they doing or what do they know that makes them so consistent? Answer that and you’re on the right track. That might make a good thread of it’s own.

I agree totally. I feel like if you commit to the hunt by getting (and staying) where the elk are you increase your chances way above 15%.

In Midwest states the success rate on whitetails is around 50%, yet most hunters kill a deer and/or turkey every year. They don’t necessarily fill (or even hunt at all with) all their tags which skews the stats. For elk hunting I feel like the folks who skew the stat is the happy-go-lucky hunter who is half committed that just hunts weekends, or only dedicates a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric_mac

FNG
Ross is 100% spot on. The first year or 2 I'd blow an opportunity and get pissed at myself. Meanwhile while not paying attention an elk would materialize out of nowhere and I wasn't ready because briefly my head wouldn't be in the game because I was psycho analyzing what had just transpired. Essentially blowing another potential opportunity within minutes. Now my head stays on a swivel at all times in the elkwoods knowing the next opportunity could happen at any second

Story of my entire elk hunting experience.