3 vs 2 blade COC for low poundage?

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
After much ado, Baber's bow is finally up and running and we're down to just one or two items to check off.
The quiver bracket mounted to the sight won't clear the QAD Hunter and the new grip required a reminder phone call to the local, south Anchorage shop :)mad:) so that's likely just getting ordered today (rather than 2 weeks ago when we called...).

But she shot the bow a bit yesterday and was grouping arrows with her first few shots.
She was thrilled and enjoyed every minute of it and that's what counts to me. :)

She's at a 37 pound draw weight right now and I have no doubt she'll be able to up that to 42-45 over the course of the summer.
She's quite fit; carry a 45 pound pack in Alaska, sheep hunting fit, so I imagine some of the draw weight increase will come from a better understanding of technique and familiarity. (Yesterday's were literally the first arrows she's ever shot in her life)

The Question:
She landed on a 23.5" draw length, further reducing the energy available from the bow, so with that in mind, does a two blade COC broadhead out penetrate a 3 blade of the same weight, all other factors remaining equal?

I was looking at the 100 grain Montecs (3 blade) and the 100 grain Magnus Stinger Killer Bee or its vented brother the 100 grain Magnus Stinger.

Thanks!

OR Archer

WKR
Depends on the blade angle. Of the 3 you mentioned the Stinger would be the best option. They tune well, are sharp out of the package and have a lifetime warranty. They'd be a solid choice.

OP
AKMAN

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the blade angle. Of the 3 you mentioned the Stinger would be the best option. They tune well, are sharp out of the package and have a lifetime warranty. They'd be a solid choice.

Cool. I imagined both of the Magnus heads would have the same steel (sharpening), with the non vented broadhead flying just a tiny bit quieter.
Without anything to base it on, I figured the non vented would have less "drag" inside a critter, even with the increase in surface area (friction).
You prefer the vented style?

OR Archer

WKR
I don't pay any attention to whether a broadhead is vented or not. People will claim they are noisier which is true in some cases but an animal is going to hear your bow being shot long before the arrow gets there so it's kind of a moot point there.
As far as less friction I couldn't say one way or the other on that point.

2blade

WKR
I would go with the stinger. From what I have heard, the blade thickness on the stinger is thicker than the killer bee, which would make for a tougher head. I shoot the 125 gr 4 blade stinger and I have never noticed any noise in flight. They have never failed me and blow through everything I have shot if I didn't hit heavy bone. Nothing gets through heavy bone, I am talking elk heavy, deer aren't much of a big deal.

Beendare

WKR
There is no doubt her draw weight will go up significantly with technique and muscle group development. The muscles will get stronger quickly...but there are joints involved so its best to go slow and ease into it. As you probably know, form trumps everything so don't overbow her.

A 2 blade has more penetration potential than any other design due to mechanical advantage...think trying to wedge a pry bar under a heavy object at a very thin sliver of pie shaped angle as with a 2 blade....or a larger wedge as in other designs. That thin wedge vs wider wedge really makes a big difference with low energy setups. The Magnus Buzzcut and Stinger are very good heads for the $$....skip the bleeders.

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
There is no doubt her draw weight will go up significantly with technique and muscle group development. The muscles will get stronger quickly...but there are joints involved so its best to go slow and ease into it. As you probably know, form trumps everything so don't overbow her.

A 2 blade has more penetration potential than any other design due to mechanical advantage...think trying to wedge a pry bar under a heavy object at a very thin sliver of pie shaped angle as with a 2 blade....or a larger wedge as in other designs. That thin wedge vs wider wedge really makes a big difference with low energy setups. The Magnus Buzzcut and Stinger are very good heads for the $$....skip the bleeders.

I agree, 2 blade cut on contacts seem to have the most penetration potential, which is why most African Professional Hunters swear by them for their biggest game animal hunts, like giraffe and cape buffalo.

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
If you feel like doing some reading, and maybe some experimenting, check out the Dr. Ashby reports. There are some of the other 2 blade, single bevel web sights that have his info. as well. The guys on this web site have some pretty good articles/video's showing what can be done at lower draw weights and short draw lengths. For some, depending on what you are going after, will take some of the info. and come up with something that works for them. Its all good, fun stuff. :confused: ;)

Grizzlystick Home page link below.
Home Page