3-Way Down Puffy Shootout

OP
bowtech101st
It has a lot less down than the SG and will not be close in warmth. Small fill differences can be made up with better design and fabrics. The large fill difference we are talking here cannot be overcome by design and I would say the SG has better design and fabrics. First lite doesn’t state the fill weight of 800 down but one of these threads had it around 3.5 if I remember correctly. SG is 5.3 oz of 850 fill. The SG, KUIU SD pro and ptarmigan are all 5 oz plus of 800 or higher down. The Ghar is a blend equivalent to 750 weight at 6.35 oz of fill before you add on the 100 gsm synthetic areas of the jacket.

I know the Ghar doesn't have a hood, but do you happen to have a weight on that piece?

Because it's warm....

Feathered Friends Helios Hooded Jacket. 7.8 oz fill using 900+ goose down. Clamshell handwarmer pockets which work better by far than anything else I've ever used. 18 oz in medium. The no-hood version weighs 16 oz. They are not built tight or small.....correct size for layering beneath. Mine is Ash (gray) color and it blends nicely into terrain. Mid-upper $300s pricing. USA made.

CJ6d8lGl.jpg

Last edited:
I know the Ghar doesn't have a hood, but do you happen to have a weight on that piece?
I don’t have it In hand at the moment. I had an XL and got rid of it because of how it fit my layering system with current soft shell and hardshell. I now have both an XL and XXL on the way so can weigh them when delivered. I thought I wrote the weight down before but can’t find it now. I don’t believe it was any heavier and if it was it’s maybe an ounce. What I don’t know is how much fill weight of a lower volume it takes to make up the difference of a higher volume lower fill. Say how much 750 vs 800 to obtain the same warmth. The XL Ghar does fit a little slimmer than the XL ptarmigan especially in the sleeves which is what made me question if it worked with my layering system because it was tight over my XL Jetstream sleeves.

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
I know, I know...another puffy jacket comparison thread. BUT I have some very exact specifications and haven't seen any other threads that address precisely what I'm looking for. I already own a Kuiu Superdown Ultra. I love its weight and packability, but it's just not warm enough for me when the temps dip into the low 30's or upper 20's (so I'll probably be selling it). I want something that's still very light weight, but gives me the added warmth I need. Price is not an issue, I just want the warmest/lightest puffy I can get my hands on. Here are my 6 non-negotiable criteria for my next puffy:
  1. Must be down (no synthetics)
  2. Must weigh less than 15 oz.
  3. Must be 850+ fill power
  4. Must have 5 (or more) ounces of down fill
  5. Down must be treated for water-resistance
  6. Must have a hood
I've been researching every single puffy and brand I can (both hunting and non-hunting companies) and I think I've narrowed it down to the only three I can find that fit all of my specific criteria:
  1. Kuiu Super Down Pro (13.4 oz, with 5 oz of down)
  2. Stone Glacier Grumman (11.8 oz, with 5.3 oz of down)
  3. Nunatak Skaha UL Down Sweater (10.9 oz, with 5.9 oz of down)
Does anyone have personal experience with these specific puffy's? What are some of your pros and cons for each? I'm not concerned with the jacket being "noisy," because I'll only be using it for when I'm sitting stationary for long periods of time (e.g. glassing, or around camp).

Just by reading online, a few things stand out to me:
  1. The Kuiu seems to have the most features (but I'm not sure pit zips are necessary on a puffy), and the heaviest shell fabric (which should be great for cutting wind), but it also has the least amount of down of these three.
  2. The Stone Glacier is lighter than the Kuiu and has slightly more down. I've read that some say they think that the 15d Pertex shell actually sheds wind better than the Kuiu. This jacket also looks like it has the best 'fit.'
  3. The Nunatak is the lightest of the three (1 oz. lighter than the SG in my size) and has the most down (5.6 oz.) But it also has the lightest shell fabric (10d nylon), and "appears" to have a worse 'fit' than the Kuiu or the Stone Glacier.
On paper alone, it seems like the winners are either the Stone Glacier or the Nunatak for wamth to-weight-ratio alone. But the Kuiu looks like it's not far behind them (plus it comes in camo...which I know doesn't matter, but I think it's cool). What other factors should I consider? Have you noticed a difference in durability, what "feels" warmer, or other factors?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!
I know the down isn’t treated but any reason for not considering the Arcteryx Cerium SV when researching?
Western Mountaineering make some nice options as well, some even have windstopper.