30-06 180 grain Trophy Copper

I was thrown off with the "will never use ballistic tips again", as were a few more folks.

I can't reconcile two trophy coppers were absorbed by the hide at 80 yards and failed to "break the skin" with that bullet.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m confused. How did the NBT enter this conversation? I thought we were talking bout Trophy Copper bullets.

I used a 300 WIN MAG with Federal 180 grain bullet with ballistic tip on my Moose hunt last fall. Shots were at 80 yards, full broadside and two of the 3 shots were placed right in the rib cage vital zone and they never penetrated beyond the hide. The expansion of the ballistic tip energy opened and was absorbed by the hide before penetrating.

I will never use ballistic tips on a Moose again, only solids.
^^This^^

As the thread was about the trophy copper, when this post showed up it muddied things up a bit. The description of a federal bullet with a ballistic tip fits the trophy copper. However he then says he will never use ballistic tips again.

Questioning if it was a true ballistic tip bullet or whether it was a trophy copper with a ballistic tip. I think it's pretty evident which one he's talking about but that's where the "ballistic tips" came from.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
^^This^^

As the thread was about the trophy copper, when this post showed up it muddied things up a bit. The description of a federal bullet with a ballistic tip fits the trophy copper. However he then says he will never use ballistic tips again.

Questioning if it was a true ballistic tip bullet or whether it was a trophy copper with a ballistic tip. I think it's pretty evident which one he's talking about but that's where the "ballistic tips" came from.

The OP was asking about a type of bullet. I responded that I had poor success with a similar design bullet that had a ballistic/polymer tip. The bullet I use was Federals' Vital Shok. I've had great success with them on deer and will continue to use them but a poor experience with Moose.

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
I put a 7mm rem mag into a cow moose in October 2020, I think it was a 140gr trophy copper, she took one step and tipped over dead, 130yards. 2 inch exit hole.

It is what I use deer hunting. It is Federals Premium Vital-Shok Trophy Bonded Tip Rifle Ammo Great penetration and deer never go much beyond 40 yards. Discussed with my guide and he admitted he should have informed about the bullet type he prefers.
What bullet type does he prefer? I'm having a hard time thinking a Trophy Bonded tip would not be one near the top of any guides list.

Trophy Bonded tip bullet is adequate and downright acceptable for use on any moose that walks, sorry to hear two of them didn't penetrate the hide. That bullet has a solid rear half copper shank. Even if the front core (which is bonded), peeled away and disintegrated, the shank is going to make it through the hide. Which still has me puzzled. But what do I know.

I just have never heard of that bullet not making it through the thickest of hides and bones on a big game animal.

WCB

WKR
It is what I use deer hunting. It is Federals Premium Vital-Shok Trophy Bonded Tip Rifle Ammo Great penetration and deer never go much beyond 40 yards. Discussed with my guide and he admitted he should have informed about the bullet type he prefers.
Sorry but that is one of the toughest bullets out there. A plastic tip on a bullet does not make it a ballistic tip. The Trophy Bonded is 90% weight retention bullet with almost 1/2 that bullet being solid copper...literally 1/2 step down from a mono. It did not blow up on impact and not penetration.

I ave money you were shooting actual Federal Premium loaded with Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Sorry but that is one of the toughest bullets out there. A plastic tip on a bullet does not make it a ballistic tip. The Trophy Bonded is 90% weight retention bullet with almost 1/2 that bullet being solid copper...literally 1/2 step down from a mono. It did not blow up on impact and not penetration.

I ave money you were shooting actual Federal Premium loaded with Nosler Ballistic Tips.
I said the same thing in post #27 right above and before in post #21 and #23. Something is not adding up.

PA Hunter

WKR
I used a 300 WIN MAG with Federal 180 grain bullet with ballistic tip on my Moose hunt last fall. Shots were at 80 yards, full broadside and two of the 3 shots were placed right in the rib cage vital zone and they never penetrated beyond the hide. The expansion of the ballistic tip energy opened and was absorbed by the hide before penetrating.

I will never use ballistic tips on a Moose again, only solids.
I have seen friends blow up ballistic tips on deer on shoulder shots I personally wouldn’t use them. My favorite anything bullet is an Accubond.

I'd be happy to hear your thoughts. As i mentioned, the guide has seen this same experience with several other hunters on Moose.
The Trophy Bonded bullet is simply not one to go to pieces. It is bonded, the front would have to turn itself inside out, at 80 yards on moose hide. At the same time this happened, the solid rear shank would have to not punch through (even if the front half turned inside out, per se) in order for this to happen on your hunt and on multiple other occasions given the guide's experience.

I still think something is up, but I respect that you are sure of your experience and what the guide said.