.30-'06 and .308.

One of my favorite rifles to shoot is an early browning BLR (Belgium, not Japan) in .308. Its killed a few elk for me and it’s just a fun gun to shoot. Don’t worry about overlap in your rifles’ capabilities. If there is something that you want and it’s not at the cost of taking food of the family table, by all means get it!!

tracker7

FNG
I did some CWD deer eradication where shooting 10-15 deer a day was common. I used the opportunity to test some rifles and bullet combos in real world conditions. Prior to this I was a 30.06 guy and used that caliber for years, after shooting .243, .270, .308, and the '06, I went .308 with 150gr and never looked back, one shot drops were the norm at anything under 300yrds. Mathematically it never made sense, but real world I'm sold on my .308
That’s really good to hear for me. My main rifle is a pre64 model 70 in 30-06. I got into the precision rifle game for a while and have a 308 model 700 in an XLR chassis that I wanted to use for longer range.

I've owned four '06's now and replaced every one of them with a .308 or .308 based cartridge. There just isn't enough juice for the squeeze with the '06 in my view.

I could load a .308 to within 100 fps. of an '06 using a lot less powder, carrying a lighter rifle and dealing with considerably less recoil. At the end of the day, I decided 100 fps. just wasn't worth all that to me.

My .284 Win with 160's kicks about like a .308 shooting a 165 and the downrange ballistics beat the crap out of any '06 I've ever seen. Plus I can run it in a short action, making it a switch barrel for my Savage LW Storm with my 7mm-08, a .308 and whatever else I get the urge to add next.

Also, as was already mentioned, the .308 and .308 based cartridges tend to be very easy to load for.

The '06 just doesn't do enough things well for the recoil and the amount of powder you burn IMO.

Steve P

FNG
I have two BLR rifles in 308, one older version with a williams peep and a newer one scoped. Like it's quick handling short action for the hunting I do in the northeast (Maine deer trip). Very accurate with 180 gr Nosler Partitions, 165 gr Sierra Game Kings, and decent with the Hornady 150 gr Interlock.

Laramie

WKR
I've owned four '06's now and replaced every one of them with a .308 or .308 based cartridge. There just isn't enough juice for the squeeze with the '06 in my view.

I could load a .308 to within 100 fps. of an '06 using a lot less powder, carrying a lighter rifle and dealing with considerably less recoil. At the end of the day, I decided 100 fps. just wasn't worth all that to me.

My .284 Win with 160's kicks about like a .308 shooting a 165 and the downrange ballistics beat the crap out of any '06 I've ever seen. Plus I can run it in a short action, making it a switch barrel for my Savage LW Storm with my 7mm-08, a .308 and whatever else I get the urge to add next.

Also, as was already mentioned, the .308 and .308 based cartridges tend to be very easy to load for.

The '06 just doesn't do enough things well for the recoil and the amount of powder you burn IMO.
100 fps with the same grain of bullet isn't a bad trade off.

100 fps with the same grain of bullet isn't a bad trade off.
I think that's for everyone to decide on their own. To me, it amounted to about a 75 yard difference in effective range. That's only worth considering if your rifle is accurate enough and the conditions good enough to take advantage of it too.

The '06 is a strange, in-between cartridge for hunting. More powerful than you need for deer-sized game and day in and day out, not as powerful as you'd want for anything bigger. If I'm going to tolerate 20 ft. lbs. of recoil, I may as well shoot a 7mm Mag or even bump up a few ft. lbs. to the .300 Win Mag.

It all comes down to personal preference though. '06's have killed trainloads of elk and deer and I know people who think it's the perfect hunting cartridge.

Laramie

WKR
I think that's for everyone to decide on their own. To me, it amounted to about a 75 yard difference in effective range. That's only worth considering if your rifle is accurate enough and the conditions good enough to take advantage of it too.

The '06 is a strange, in-between cartridge for hunting. More powerful than you need for deer-sized game and day in and day out, not as powerful as you'd want for anything bigger. If I'm going to tolerate 20 ft. lbs. of recoil, I may as well shoot a 7mm Mag or even bump up a few ft. lbs. to the .300 Win Mag.

It all comes down to personal preference though. '06's have killed trainloads of elk and deer and I know people who think it's the perfect hunting cartridge.
I have hunted with a 30-06 for a lot of years- it is my primary rifle for everything from antelope to moose. I was honestly surprised at the small ballistics difference when i researched the .308. I do disagree with your statement that a 30-06 isn't as powerful as you'd want for larger than deer sized game. It is a very capable elk/moose cartridge inside of 500 yards. However, I do agree that there are more shooter friendly options out there now that make selecting a 30-06 as a first choice more questionable than ever.

I have considered switching many times through the years. I even went as far to shoot a 7mag one elk season. I shot a bull but I wasn't impressed with the terminal performance so switched back the next season and sold the rifle.

I have hunted with a 30-06 for a lot of years- it is my primary rifle for everything from antelope to moose. I was honestly surprised at the small ballistics difference when i researched the .308. I do disagree with your statement that a 30-06 isn't as powerful as you'd want for larger than deer sized game. It is a very capable elk/moose cartridge inside of 500 yards. However, I do agree that there are more shooter friendly options out there now that make selecting a 30-06 as a first choice more questionable than ever.

I have considered switching many times through the years. I even went as far to shoot a 7mag one elk season. I shot a bull but I wasn't impressed with the terminal performance so switched back the next season and sold the rifle.
Your answer does not surprise me one bit. By your earlier response I could have predicted you were already an '06 fan or user. That's where a lot of people are - having one already or having been told by our fathers/grandfathers/uncles that it's a "go to" hunting cartridge. And they aren't wrong. But I don't see very many people choosing the '06 these days if they aren't already pushed in that direction by someone.

After I did all the math last year (I toted an '06 last fall in pursuit of elk and have hand loaded for all four I've owned now), the cartridge just didn't make that much sense to me. I have no real interest in taking 500 yard shots on game, and inside of that the difference between the .308 and '06, or even the '06 and my 7mm-08's, is negligible.

We tend to stick with what brought us to the game. I feel the same way about my 30-30 Winchester that you probably feel about your '06. It has just flat-out performed on so many animals over the years that I have confidence in it. I had put it away in the safe years ago, taking it out to the range a few times a year and sometimes to admire it and work that wonderful action that John Browning created. But then last year my brother needed a last-minute deer rifle when his son took over his .308, so I loaned him my 30-30 and lo and behold if he didn't heart-shoot the best buck of his life with that old rifle from 120 yards. LOL

Nothing wrong with staying with what you know. More folks probably should. :D

Vern400

WKR
You can load down the ought six to be a 308 but not the reverse. If you want a rifle get one! How about an M-1A ? If shtf happens wearing armor or hiding behind cars won't help bad guys much ... The whole "bring enough gun" thing.

robtattoo

WKR
Suggestion: get your .308 then have it bored out to .385.
There's an awful lot to be said for a real thumper in a short, lightweight rifle. 16-18" barrel will still get you 2400+/-fps with 200/220gn bullets. Still very capable out to around 400yds, but an absolute showstopper within 200.
Since you reload, you also have the option to load up pistol bullets (140-180gn) and keep them slow. A 140 XTP at 1600fps is merry hell on deer and pigs inside 100yds & recoils about like a .22mag.
Components are super cheap & abundant & you can reform .308 brass in a single step.

WKR
.......Currently have a .30-'06, .300 WM and 6.5.......Considering picking up a Benelli Lupo in .308.......Is that too much overlap?
There is some overlap. If you are determined to have a .308, have you considered a BLR or Long Ranger instead of another bolt rifle?