30/06 loads for Moose

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
I have booked a Yukon moose hunt in 2021 and looking for suggestions on 30/06 loads.
I am leaning towards a 180 grain Partition what are thoughts on this?
Thanks
wmd

That would work great. Tend towards the med-heavy to heavy better constructed lead or mono bullets....after that its pretty much whichever bullet/load combo your rifle likes best.

FWIW I've taken a moose with the old sporterized Swedish mauser in 6.5x55 in my profile pic. Just put it in the boiler room and you'll do fine! Have a great trip!

weaver

WKR
Only ever killed one moose but 180gr accubond out of my 3006 worked well for me this year. Have tried partitions but they have never been the most accurate load in my rifles.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I used a 30-06 with 180 grain barnes ttsx on my Alaskan moose. However, you may want to ask your guide if they have a minimum caliber first.
Do outfitters specify calibers beyond the legal requirements?

From the regs:
Firearms and Ammunition
A firearm is any device that propels a projectile by means of an explosion, compressed
gas, springs or strings. It includes a rifle, shotgun, handgun, spring gun or longbow.
It is unlawful to hunt big game with:
X a crossbow,
X a pistol or a revolver,
X a shotgun smaller than 20 gauge,
X a rifle calibre less than 6 mm (.24 calibre)—a 5.6 mm (.22 calibre) centre fire rifle
may be used for wolves and coyotes,
X a muzzle loaded or black powder rifle less than 11.4 mm (.45 calibre),
X shotgun ammunition other than a slug,
X non-expanding full metal-jacket bullets commonly known as “service
ammunition”, or
X a silencing device.

I have booked a Yukon moose hunt in 2021 and looking for suggestions on 30/06 loads.
Thanks
wmd

'06 w 180 NPT will work perfectly. I've eaten a fair amount of moose meat via that combination.

There are a bunch of other loads that will work equally as well, but I'm not sure any would be "better". And I've tried quite a few at this point.

AKBorn

WKR
FYI that the moose often gives no reaction that you made a direct hit to the vitals, so your outfitter guide may recommend a follow up shot to be sure. moose are huge critters, it takes a minute or two for them to realize you shot them. Good luck on your hunt!

LightFoot

WKR
Thanks
wmd
180 PT is more than adequate.

>>>----JAKE----->

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
180g partition isn’t just fine. Also take a look at the 200g partitions or 200g trophy bonded bear claws.

My Moose died from a 6.5 accubond. Anything through the lungs will kill any animal.
A lousy shot from a 300 win mag is still a lousy shot. and the Moose ain't dieing so quick.
My key, is too keep it off the shoulder, and go for the lungs.

There is a white tail guide up in Maine that doesn't allow .243, 6.5, 7mm-08, or .260. It's an old timer guy that can certainly put you on a deer, but he's old school, and can't comprehend how destructive a .243 is.

All the muzzle brake guys. You bugger your shots, because you know how deafening it is.
me, I can sit at the range for hours with my little short track & practice for hours.

I've only spoken with one guide about moose or brown bear. He recommends 300WM or more, but said he much preferred a man who is comfortable with a 270 or 30.06 to someone who flinches with a new heavy cartridge. I'd bring my 06 on a moose hunt.

LightFoot

WKR
My Moose died from a 6.5 accubond. Anything through the lungs will kill any animal.
A lousy shot from a 300 win mag is still a lousy shot. and the Moose ain't dieing so quick.
My key, is too keep it off the shoulder, and go for the lungs.

There is a white tail guide up in Maine that doesn't allow .243, 6.5, 7mm-08, or .260. It's an old timer guy that can certainly put you on a deer, but he's old school, and can't comprehend how destructive a .243 is.

All the muzzle brake guys. You bugger your shots, because you know how deafening it is.
me, I can sit at the range for hours with my little short track & practice for hours.
I disagree about buggering shots with a brake. I would argue that more people shoot better with a break. Unless you run a suppressor, you should be wearing earpro anyway.

I do however agree that the smaller calibers will get the job done.

>>>----JAKE----->

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot a moose in Maine and NH with a 270WSM pushing a 150gr Nosler Partition. First moose took 2 bullets through the lungs and traveled a grand total of 40-50yds. THe 2nd moose was a shot through both scapulas 225yds uphill...he dropped dead instantly. So I would be more than confident w/ a 30-06 w a 180gr NP or accubond

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
TBBC arent available for reloading - only loaded in Federal ammunition

Federal does sell the Trophy Bonded Tip as components in 30 cal. In the larger 375, 416, 458 calibers you can find the regular Trophy Bonded bullets as components too.

-- Scott

cnelk

WKR
That’s great if they are. I’ve tried to find and reload with them in the past within no avail.
The Bear Claw is a good bullet.

OP
wmd

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
I used a 30-06 with 180 grain barnes ttsx on my Alaskan moose. However, you may want to ask your guide if they have a minimum caliber first.
I booked with Shockey's Rouge River Outfitters. Their website says 300-338caliber magnum are ideal for moose and bears, larger guns are wonderful and smaller will work. In talking with his agent, who also guides, his guess was that more moose were shot with a 30/06 than all other calibers combined. I have the option of using my sons 7mm or my 06 and am going with the 06 because a friend reloads and has lots not 06 brass. The cost of ammunition, for practice and the hunt will be much less in 06 for me than the 7mm.

I've shot a moose in Maine and NH with a 270WSM pushing a 150gr Nosler Partition. First moose took 2 bullets through the lungs and traveled a grand total of 40-50yds.

The reality is, the Moose was dead after the 1st shot, but didn't drop yet. He was living off residual air.

I shot a Bear through the heart. The Bear ran 120 yards. When we dressed him, the heart was literally in shreds. Nothing was left. No way any blood was pumping. It was running off residual adrenaline.

In talking with his agent, who also guides, his guess was that more moose were shot with a 30/06 than all other calibers combined.

In our family moose camps (dating back to the 1930's), this would be true. While a wide variety of cartridges have been used with good success, the '06 has done in more moose than the rest combined.

In just my last 10 yrs of hunting, I've personally seen 13 moose killed with that caliber. So despite it's age, the pace hasn't slowed either.