30/06 loads for Moose

I realize it's been awhile since you posted this pic, but I'm in the process of preparing for a moose hunt and am "field judging" every picture I can in an effort to educate myself on identifying a legal moose. In your picture it looks to me like the right (top) antler has 3 brow points and the left (lower) antler has 2 for sure, but I'm not sure that third point is actually a brow point. As far as spread I keep coming up with 62-63". How'd I do?

A little tricky but I call it a 5(R) x 3(L). There are four large points + an odd almost reverse brow tine on the right side you can't see in the field photos. The third point on the left could be argued as a mid-bay from field photos, but looks very much like a brow tine in person. Like a lot of old moose his antlers are pretty gnarly and a bit unbalanced, so nothing is quite as clear as one would like.

Width guess is spot on. He was very close to 64" green and dried to 62 7/8" A couple inches of that width is due to the "kicker" tine low on the right side, although he was over 60" even without that.

IMG_6547.JPGIMG_6570.JPG

It looks mid-bay here on the pack, but that third point is pointed firmly forward and isn't on the same plane as the palm points. I believe ADF&G would easily give it a pass as 3 if it mattered. More visible on the wall.

IMG_8451.JPG

Attachments

• 5A90AB1C-2EF5-4246-A177-18AF66979C0D.JPG
    5A90AB1C-2EF5-4246-A177-18AF66979C0D.JPG
    835.6 KB · Views: 15

Voyageur

WKR
A little tricky but I call it a 5(R) x 3(L). There are four large points + an odd almost reverse brow tine on the right side you can't see in the field photos. The third point on the left could be argued as a mid-bay from field photos, but looks very much like a brow tine in person. Like a lot of old moose his antlers are pretty gnarly and a bit unbalanced, so nothing is quite as clear as one would like.

Width guess is spot on. He was very close to 64" green and dried to 62 7/8" A couple inches of that width is due to the "kicker" tine low on the right side, although he was over 60" even without that.

View attachment 208435View attachment 208436

It looks mid-bay here on the pack, but that third point is pointed firmly forward and isn't on the same plane as the palm points. I believe ADF&G would easily give it a pass as 3 if it mattered. More visible on the wall.

View attachment 208440
Great moose. Thanks for sharing the details. You further my education.

PA Hunter

WKR
I disagree about buggering shots with a brake. I would argue that more people shoot better with a break. Unless you run a suppressor, you should be wearing earpro anyway.

I do however agree that the smaller calibers will get the job done.

>>>----JAKE----->
I absolutely shoot better with a brake, not even a question.