30-06 Rifle options

OP
F
MidwayUSA lists it as discontinued, and I asked a local gun shop about them after my buddy shot mine and wanted one, and they said the same thing.

In any case, if you do happen to find an EWSS in .30-06, there is a really strong case to be made IMO for that being the most versatile big game hunting rifle on earth. In 14 years of big game hunting, I've never been in a situation that rifle realistically couldn't have handled. You mention the merits of these new, "higher performance" rounds as a consideration, but I'd argue that .30-06 has the advantage in terms of both factory ammo availability and your ability to customize a handload to anything from Coues Deer to Moose if you reload. Find a used Nightforce SHV to throw on there with some quality mounts and you have a rifle that in perfectly appropriate for any big game hunt on the continent and will serve you well for decades.
I would say my intrigue with the newer cartridges is due to newer bullet selection and that the future is trending towards the short action rounds with high BC heavy bullets. When looking over load data for several bullet/cartridge combinations almost identical numbers can be produced with old cartridges. If newer high BC heavy bullets were used in older cartridges they may outperform newer ones, maybe slight but will be close or better. (i.e. 6.8 Western vs 270 WSM that is reamed for the newer bullets)

OP
F
Bought a Win 70 extreme weather last year for my brother in 30-06. Hoped it would be the last rifle he’d need to buy.

Unfortunately we got a dog. Combination of 2-3 MOA and really bad vertical stringing. Probably going to contact the manufacturer to see if they will look at it, but i see Cabelas gun library in its future.

Currently looking at a replacement, but nothing really singing out saying “buy me”. Would prefer CRF as well, but as you know your options are limited.

Tikkas are too light for the caliber IMO. I owned one, and was unlucky with the trigger (bad over travel), and wasn’t a fan of the trigger guard which was small for using gloves. But people seem to like them, and it was a shooter.

I wish Bergara offered the b-14 in stainless.

Not impressed with the fit & finish with savage, and would bug me.

The Ruger Hawkeye lineup seems sparse.

Weatherby’s are looking kind of gimmicky lately, and aren’t offering a vanguard in stainless. I wished I picked up one of the original backcountry when it came out. I liked the combination of stainless and cerakote, and was a good weight for a 30-06.

Never considered a Browning, not sure why.

If I could find one in a shop to look at, a Sako looks appealing.
Have you looked at Kimber? I found this company for an action, if building is an option. https://www.legendaryactionworks.com. I may look at building off of this action in the future.

Jjmayes83

FNG
Baught a savage 110 lightweight storm (I'll put link below) in .308 for my 14 yo son absolutely love the gun its a tac driver its light it has an adjustable length of pull. Super comfortable stock. And you can pick one up brand new for around 700.00. And 308 will do very close to everything a 30-06 can do.. just cheaper and with way less shoulder abuse. And the gun is 5.65 pounds without scope and rings. So built around 7 pounds + or - depending on accessories chosen.

Jjmayes83

FNG
Baught a savage 110 lightweight storm (I'll put link below) in .308 for my 14 yo son absolutely love the gun its a tac driver its light it has an adjustable length of pull. Super comfortable stock. And you can pick one up brand new for around 700.00. And 308 will do very close to everything a 30-06 can do.. just cheaper and with way less shoulder abuse. And the gun is 5.65 pounds without scope and rings. So built around 7 pounds + or - depending on accessories chosen.
And just so we are clear I love my 30-06s great round hence the reason I have 2. Just no reason for me personally between cost and availability nowadays to spend more and beat myself up for very little difference.

Decided to go with a 30-06 rifle as my first big game rifle. Came down to the cartridge being able to do everything pretty reasonably, until I am out of school again and can afford more specialized cartridges for what I want to shoot.

What are decent priced controlled round feed rifles that have been reliable for most? Also, what is the shortest barrel that you could go with and still get good performance out of? I will mainly be hunting whitetail in WI, but hopefully a trip or two out west for something. At reasonable, realistic, hunting distances.
I'd go with a Ruger Hawkeye or CZ for the controlled feed. If you want a shorter barrel I'd say consider a .308 with a 20 inch barrel. Controlled feed is usually specified in dangerous game rifles though so a good push feed is perfectly fine for non-dangerous big game. All my rifles are push feed actions. I like the Weatherby Mark V or Vanguard rifles personally.