30-06 Rifle options

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have the Winchester m70 extreme weather in 30-06. It has a 3-9 Zeiss conquest scope on it and is a real tack driver. Not the lightest gun I have but it’s taken some good animals and it feels good in my hands. The fit and finish of the rifle is great, I’d definetly take a look at one.

If you’re open to 300 WSM you won’t find anything to compete with this under ~$1500

fwafwow

WKR
I am also a 30-06 fan. At one point I was looking at a CRF for my next "needed" rifle, and I was thinking about both the 70 and Hawkeye, but I decided it wasn't as necessary - at least for me - unless I went for dangerous game. I still may get one of them at some point. Good luck in your quest!

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Winchester m70 extreme weather in 30-06. It has a 3-9 Zeiss conquest scope on it and is a real tack driver. Not the lightest gun I have but it’s taken some good animals and it feels good in my hands. The fit and finish of the rifle is great, I’d definetly take a look at one.
This is the way. I have one in .270 wearing a Leupold VX3 3.5-10. I got some deals and am into the whole setup less than a grand. It's accurate, 8.2lbs all up, stainless, has a great trigger, and I fell in love with it upon picking it up.

Oldffemt

WKR
I bought my first rifle in 1995, a model 70 featherweight classic in 3006. It’s been stacking game ever since including over 20 elk. I’ve owned other big game rifles, they just don’t see much time in the woods cause I know the m70 will get it done and look better doing it. I should really sell all the rest.

OP
F
Im assuming based on your screen name that you're a Forestry student.. Steven's point?
As a western Forester I'd steer you towards a Tikka, but also consider the 270 that and the 06 are 22" barrels which is perfect
Forestry was one of my previous careers. I graduated from Southern Illinois University and worked in Iowa. Im now going for Nursing. But I am in Point. PM me if you want to chat.

Forestry was one of my previous careers. I graduated from Southern Illinois University and worked in Iowa. Im now going for Nursing. But I am in Point. PM me if you want to chat.

Are you from Illinois? I went to SIUE and the last few year I was in Illinois I lived in murohysboro. Great place

OP
F
They should have stopped cartridge development after the '06 was introduced...

I've had Tikka, Winchester FW, HVA and Remington. All great rifles.
For a pure classic, I'd go with the Winchester M70 (the Alaskan would be nice).
Tikka is a great beater 'do the job' rifle.
My Remington is a long-range model with the 26" heavy barrel - 200gr partitions at 2800 will stop anything.
The HVA was a 20" bbl beast - might as well as had a 308.

One Man
One Rifle
One Land
I am newer to firearm hunting but not researching cartridges and shooting. From a lot of what I have seen and read between the '06 and .308 as parent cartridges you can accomplish most or close to the newer designs if you wildcat loads. Other than truly magnum cartridges. But some of these newer cartridges do have me interested.

OP
F
Are you from Illinois? I went to SIUE and the last few year I was in Illinois I lived in murohysboro. Great place
I grew up in Illinois, for the most part. I lived just South of Carbondale in the country while I was there. I like that whole area. I would of stayed there if I could have found work that would have paid. Somedays I wonder if I had left school and gone to UPS as a driver what it would have been like.

OXN939

WKR

I was just going to say this. Two problems for the OP:

1. They discontinued the original EWSS in favor of hopping on the muzzle brake and cerakote train, and nobody with an original is going to let theirs go. And,

2. An EWSS in .30-06 would be a really terrible rifle in that you would miss out on buying 5 different factory rifles, discovering stuff about them you don't like, selling them at a loss, and then finding a new one.

Installed a Mcarbo trigger kit in mine and if I close my eyes and try the triggers side by side, it's very tough to distinguish between that and a Triggertech I have on a different M70.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

1. They discontinued the original EWSS in favor of hopping on the muzzle brake and cerakote train, and nobody with an original is going to let theirs go. And,

2. An EWSS in .30-06 would be a really terrible rifle in that you would miss out on buying 5 different factory rifles, discovering stuff about them you don't like, selling them at a loss, and then finding a new one.

Installed a Mcarbo trigger kit in mine and if I close my eyes and try the triggers side by side, it's very tough to distinguish between that and a Triggertech I have on a different M70.

Mine has a timney trigger in it, not because I needed it or even wanted it. I ended up with it in a trade so I figured I better install it. I have some nice hunting rifles but if I had to pick one, I’d probably keep the m70.

I grew up in Illinois, for the most part. I lived just South of Carbondale in the country while I was there. I like that whole area. I would of stayed there if I could have found work that would have paid. Somedays I wonder if I had left school and gone to UPS as a driver what it would have been like.

I grew up there too. Even though that U is dying and the state is a mess, so. Illinois is a hidden gem 🤫

If you ever visit that area again, hit Scratch Brewing in Ava

OP
F

Did they discontinue the non-muzzle brake line of EWSS? It is still listed as a current option on Winchesters site.

OXN939

WKR
Did they discontinue the non-muzzle brake line of EWSS? It is still listed as a current option on Winchesters site.
MidwayUSA lists it as discontinued, and I asked a local gun shop about them after my buddy shot mine and wanted one, and they said the same thing.

In any case, if you do happen to find an EWSS in .30-06, there is a really strong case to be made IMO for that being the most versatile big game hunting rifle on earth. In 14 years of big game hunting, I've never been in a situation that rifle realistically couldn't have handled. You mention the merits of these new, "higher performance" rounds as a consideration, but I'd argue that .30-06 has the advantage in terms of both factory ammo availability and your ability to customize a handload to anything from Coues Deer to Moose if you reload. Find a used Nightforce SHV to throw on there with some quality mounts and you have a rifle that in perfectly appropriate for any big game hunt on the continent and will serve you well for decades.

Bought a Win 70 extreme weather last year for my brother in 30-06. Hoped it would be the last rifle he’d need to buy.

Unfortunately we got a dog. Combination of 2-3 MOA and really bad vertical stringing. Probably going to contact the manufacturer to see if they will look at it, but i see Cabelas gun library in its future.

Currently looking at a replacement, but nothing really singing out saying “buy me”. Would prefer CRF as well, but as you know your options are limited.

Tikkas are too light for the caliber IMO. I owned one, and was unlucky with the trigger (bad over travel), and wasn’t a fan of the trigger guard which was small for using gloves. But people seem to like them, and it was a shooter.

I wish Bergara offered the b-14 in stainless.

Not impressed with the fit & finish with savage, and would bug me.

The Ruger Hawkeye lineup seems sparse.

Weatherby’s are looking kind of gimmicky lately, and aren’t offering a vanguard in stainless. I wished I picked up one of the original backcountry when it came out. I liked the combination of stainless and cerakote, and was a good weight for a 30-06.

Never considered a Browning, not sure why.

If I could find one in a shop to look at, a Sako looks appealing.

Maki35

WKR
Model 70
weatherby
Sav 110
Howa
Tikka
Bergara
Are a few good rifles to choose from in your price range. And don't forget $$$ for a good scope.