30-30 Winchester and Goats: Another Cartridge Question

bwtitus

FNG
Hey all,

I drew an Oregon goat tag this year and, with some reservation, would like to use my grandmother's old Model '94 .30-30. The reservation comes from multiple threads talking about anchoring goats in their tracks, suggesting anything from .25-06 to .338 Winchesters and above. However, a lot of these conversations are with the current trends in long range hunting. My plan would be to close the distance to 100-150 yards and aim for bone.

I did take a ~300 lbs. black bear this spring with it using 150gr. Hornady Interbonds and really enjoyed the challenge after spending years in the long range game. The first bullet penetrated through vitals, stopping on the offside hide. The second bullet hit femur as he was running away and dropped him.

P1177438resize.jpg

So my question is, for those more experienced, would you ever consider using a .30-30 winny? If so, what would your bullet choice be? I am capable and would like to handload for the hunt.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I am doing a mini-series on the hunt, mostly for myself, if anyone is interested in watching it.

Attachments

• P1177438.jpg
    P1177438.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 63

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a beautiful gun. Do what makes you happy! People take goats with stick bows, a .30-30 is a nuke in comparison to that. Know your range, and shoot the highest quality bullet that your weapon likes.

hodgeman

WKR
If you close the distance and stick the bullet where it needs to go, no goat on earth is going to shake that off.

Goats have a well deserved reputation for being tough, but the only thing the 30-30 lacks is range. Those flat nose bullets transfer energy well and most of them work as advertised at 30-30 impact speeds.

Decker9

WKR
I wouldn’t hesitate, as mentioned, know your limitations with the rifle and go for it. I used my past grandparents rifles for a handful of animals, including a billy, it sure adds a warmth in the heart to be able to pack and use them, and if there is success in the end, well, it won’t be just you sitting beside your billy!

Looking forward to following your journey!

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, for that once-in-a-lifetime hunt, I'd likely use my 30-06 with the 6x Leupold, because it's been awfully good to me.

But... I have a lot of respect for the 30-30, and occasionally hunt with mine, an old Glenfield, by Marlin.

Folks tag goats with archery gear... I suspect that you have considerably more range with your 30-30 than the average bowhunter has...

Enjoy your hunt! If that means hunting with the 30-30, then do so. :)

Regards, Guy

FLAK

WKR
Wouldnt get much cooler than a goat with a 30-30.
And you have my respect with that Bear pic.
Buffalo Bore,,,,I think 190gr.??? would be my choice.

Last edited:

Ratbeetle

WKR
I wouldn't hesitate to use a 30-30 at 150 yards. Nothing wrong with getting close, and a refreshing change of pace from all of the "how far can I shoot" threads.

I'm a fan of monos and would probably use 150gr barnes tsx and shoot for the shoulder.

Good luck on the hunt!

wyosam

WKR
If you’re handloading, I’d give the 143 (I think?) grain lever hammer a whirl and see how it shoots. I can get to around 2425 with either CFE223 or leverevolution. Accuracy has been as good as I can shoot anything else with that rifle. I wouldn’t hesitate to poke a goat with that out to 150 or so. Probably plenty effective to 200, but thats not why I carry that old gun (1948 model 94). Planning to take one of my late season cows with that load this fall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G'day, mate. I don't have any experience or advice to offer that is specific to your goats over in America, but I've used the .30-30 Winchester in a model '94 over here in Australia to shoot many goats, as well as feral pigs and fallow deer. It's a great cartridge.

Most of my game has been taken with Remington 150gn Corelokt ammo, but once I use that up, I'm going to handload a 150gn projectile made in Australia by a company called 'Woodleigh'. They may be a little tougher than the Corelokts. I use other bullets from this manufacturer in my .308, .300WM, and 9.3x62.

If you're interested, here is a video of me shooting some goats over here. Similar, but different.

OP
B

bwtitus

FNG
Appreciate the responses men! Sounds like it will be a fine choice, thanks for the reassurance.

Grumman, it's a 1964, '94. To be honest, I'm not sure anyone in the family really knows that much about the rifle. If I remember right, I believe it was a gift from my grandpa to my grandma. If I knew my grandpa at all, I'd suspect that it was really a gift to himself ;)

I'll look at the LeverHammers! As far as goats go, I've read that they are fairly narrow from side-to-side and may not require extreme penetration, that maybe a relatively destructive bullet would be better. Any insight on this from anyone?

I've shot a couple elk with the 150 TTSX from a 300 WSM and was not impressed. It sure went through them, but it didn't do much on the way.

hodgeman

WKR
As far as goats go, I've read that they are fairly narrow from side-to-side and may not require extreme penetration, that maybe a relatively destructive bullet would be better.

They're pretty slab sided. I think people often let the long hair confuse the aiming point and shoot too low. A buddy of mine has anchored a bunch of them with a .270 shooting 130gr Ballistic Tips and a .338WIM using a 180AB.

In my experience, mono-metal projectiles such as Barnes need a lot of velocity to open up properly. If there is such a bullet designed for a .30-30, maybe the lower velocity has been taken into account?

In any case, over here in Australia, people using a 150gn Barnes TSX in something like a .308 are really chasing fairly big animals like sambar deer (not always, though), and I know a few people who chase things like goats, pigs, and fallow deer (similar in size to a whitetail) with 130gn Barnes bullets for this reason.

With a low velocity cartridge like a .30-30, a slightly softer bullet that would otherwise blow up at .30-06 or .300WM velocities, will penetrate a fair way, in my experience. Provided you get close enough to ensure a good shot within your own limitations (which all hunters do anyway), there is no reason why any decent 150gn projectile shouldn't work.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I shot my Montana billy with a 10” T/C Contender in 30-30 using a 125 gr Nosler BT. It worked fine. I think your 150 gr Hornady Interbonds would work fine, too.

Shooting a goat will be a pretty memorable occasion, but getting it with your grandfather’s 30-30 will make it really special. Good luck!

bcimport

WKR
I would absolutely do it. They’re tough but not particularly thick. I’ve always had full penetration. I just switched back to the 3030 and will be using it on goats with no reservations.

Wapiti1

WKR
If you like copper, take a look at Hammer bullets options in, I think, the Claw or Shock Hammer lines. One of those lines works in a lever rifle. Cutting Edge has a couple of options in the 130 and 150 grain weights.

Otherwise, about any 130-170 grain flat nose, or even FTX will do the job. Goats aren't big heavily built animals.

Sounds like a fun hunt. Good luck.

Jeremy

OXN939

WKR
Appreciate the responses men! Sounds like it will be a fine choice, thanks for the reassurance.

Grumman, it's a 1964, '94. To be honest, I'm not sure anyone in the family really knows that much about the rifle. If I remember right, I believe it was a gift from my grandpa to my grandma. If I knew my grandpa at all, I'd suspect that it was really a gift to himself ;)

I'll look at the LeverHammers! As far as goats go, I've read that they are fairly narrow from side-to-side and may not require extreme penetration, that maybe a relatively destructive bullet would be better. Any insight on this from anyone?

I've shot a couple elk with the 150 TTSX from a 300 WSM and was not impressed. It sure went through them, but it didn't do much on the way.

Third or fourth (or whatever it is) the advice on Hammers for this hunt. .30-30 has style points for days, but you'd definitely want to have to have everything going for you on the terminal side of things! Definitely let us know how it goes, I have a little .357 Winchester '94 Trapper I might try to do something similar with at some point in my life

Cup and core 150’s are as proven as it gets for the 30/30. Winchester, Remington, Hornady, Speer all work to perfection.
I’ve watched a ton of bear dropped with those bullets. My friend Martin took his 30/30 to Africa last year and shot everything up to Kudu with his Marlin and Corelokt’s.

Pick what shoots best and don’t overthink it. If cup and core bullets didn’t work like they’re supposed to, they wouldn’t have lasted for over a century.

Good luck on your hunt.

Love the story and I love my M94 30-30 too. Considering guys take sheep and goats with archery tackle all the time, there is no reason you can't be successful with your grandma's rifle. Pick the most accurate load you can find, use a rear peep if you can, and go have a blast. Be sure to share your story with us when you get one!

These days, this is like "traditional rifle hunting." :D

Reactions: Guy