30-30 Winchester and Goats: Another Cartridge Question

AKBorn

WKR
Man, I am jealous. My Dad had a model 94 .30-30 that he shot a couple of moose and a few caribou with back in the late 60's in Alaska, after his .30-06 was stolen out of his Scout. I saw him drop 2 moose with it, wasn't with him when he got the caribou.

Somehow I let that gun pass out of our family without getting my hands on it! I used to love to carry it when I was young, had nice balance and heft, and was just pretty to look at.

Good luck, looking forward to your story.

That 30-30 with any old 170 grain flatnose will knock a billy over about as good as anything! Might as well go retro and find some old Winchester silvertips! I have an old 30-30 and my limit is about 100yds, not due too ballistics but simply my ability with the rather short sight radius. FWIW, I took my goat with a 6.5 Swede. We spotted him at about 1000yds but by the time we finally peeked over the last cliff in our stalk it was about a 30yd shot almost straight down! Have fun and send pics!

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy

mfsights257

Lil-Rokslider
Saw in Great Rams of BC , a gentlemen who was killing a Sheep Slam w an old Winchester 30 - 30.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Heck yes do it! .30-30 has anchored much more than Mountain Goats. Can’t wait to see the trophy photo.

BCJR

FNG
I have no doubt a 30-30 will kill a goat. I would be more comfortable with something with a bit more range and horsepower. The goat I shot this year I shot with a 30-06, He was shot through the front shoulder, then got up again. Then he got shot through the hips trying to take out his 4 wheel drive. He went down again . He then used his one good leg to drag himself to the edge of a cliff and throw himself off. We did recover him broken horn and all but it involved climbing rope. Goats are the ultimate in hunting in my opinion. They are truly the toughest animal I have ever taken, live in the toughest country, and they seem to have a un paralleled will . I have no doubt a 30-30 will get it done , just sharing my experience. Best of luck , I hope you get a nice one.

I made an honest attempt earlier this month but just couldn’t seal the deal. My comfortable range with this 121 year old .30WCF is around 100 yards, but the closest we got to a billy this year was 230 yards. Oh well, maybe next year.
663156de29c86acb735475b45ec598a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a really cool thread. Looking forward to more photos and stories like this. Short range mountain hunting is totally underrated.

COOPDUCK

FNG
Love the nostalgia, I’m a sucker for that kind of stuff too. I harvested my elk this year with a custom 338WM Mauser my Grandfather, a firearm most would keep in the safe. He wouldn’t want it being a safe queen, so into the field it goes. I’ve also got two Big Bore 94s, in a .375 win and 30-30. On my bucket list to take animals with them. Do it!!!

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
The closest I’ll ever get to hunting sheep or goats is owning a pair of wool socks but I love your pic and your gun. Look forward to reading more!

Comerade

FNG
Interesting, I hunt goats most every year.
I am also a levergun guy, these days I carry a Browning BLR . In a .243, .270 WCF and the monstrous .450 Marlin. I hope to take a Billy next year with the iron sighted .450.
Rainbow trajectory, like the 30/30. Just take a full bead .

Treeseat

FNG
I made an honest attempt earlier this month but just couldn’t seal the deal. My comfortable range with this 121 year old .30WCF is around 100 yards, but the closest we got to a billy this year was 230 yards. Oh well, maybe next year.
663156de29c86acb735475b45ec598a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like everything about this

greywacke

FNG
As someone who lives below prime goat country, I'd recommend a rookie goat stalker put every advantage he can on his side, including humility.
That being said, you can kill the hell out of goats with a .30-30. I remember the journal of a sourdough who ended up dying of scurvy one winter because overflow flood took his grubstake and all he had to eat was goat. I think he had a .30-40 Krag, or something, and he made so little drama about humping up the hill and killing a goat that I think they were probably as snowbound as he was...

Goat hunting is a game of identification, so you want to hunt as close to them as you can anyway.

But a lever action carbine with iron sights has some severe limitations compared to a modern hunting rifle with pointy bullets, and most goats that let you look at them are usually a lot closer to 300yds than 100.
So best of skill OP. And may none of your shots be marginal!

bgbuck153

Lil-Rokslider
Watch some gel tests on the 30/30 and you might be as shocked as I was. The penetration from slow and heavy was unbelievable to me.

200 yards with a good receiver sight is no sweat and a period appropriate upgrade without taking away from the rifle. I run a Williams 5 d on mine. Now if you handload here's a trick for you and your 30-30. Load up some 150 gr pointy bullets like a Speer Hot - Core with a much better BC. Load one in the chamber and one in the tube mag. There is zero chance of primer striking off the round ahead if you only put one in the tube mag. That alone will give you a yardage boost.

Just a though, I love my old 94 I got form my grandpa just before he passed away. I need to make more time for it!

Love your video, good stuff!!!! Good luck!