30-378 WBY Mag Bullets

Hey all, I am going on an aoudad hunt and for various reasons (1. Guide requires a .30 cal, 2. I shoot lefty and my dad has a lefty bolt 30-378 already with a couple boxes of ammo). Therefore, I am taking my dads Weatherby Mark V 30-378 wby mag. I have done quite a bit of research on this cartridge and get some mixed data. Many say they have clean kills and then some say they are worried about bullet separation etc at such high velocities.

1. What factory ammo would you recommend from this caliber regarding bullet weight and type for Aoudad? Shots could be out to 400 yds but could also be 200 yds.
2. Also, if I don't purchase a new rifle by next year (likely 300 win mag), I will plan on using this for an elk as well unless it is reasonable to use my 6.5cm. What bullet weight and type would you recommend for elk?

Thanks in advance for anyone's experience with this rifle.

Ryan

I’ve killed a bunch with a 257 wby and 115berger, I think any bullet you pick will be fine. It’s placement not headstand.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In order to capitalize on the ballistic performance of big .30 cals, the minimum bullet weight you should shoot is around 210 grains. A 230 grain Berger would be our top choice for that cartridge! Factory ammo may be difficult to find, but try to go as heavy as possible! Bergers, Accubonds, ELDXs, and ELDMs have all proven to be extremely effective hunting bullets!

OP
ryjack70ss
Thanks.

There is a good article out there: https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.30-378+Weatherby+Magnum.html

Unfortunately I am not the most knowledgable regarding ballistics and the article left me wanting some more clear cut direction. All I know is I want a bullet that will provide a good clean kill and that these bullets are $5 a pop, so I don't want to spend a bunch of money trying to figure out what to shoot!!!

Reading this it seems like the Weatherby 180gr TSX would be reasonable and I have a box. There is also the Hornady Precision Hunter ELDX 220gr. which seems like it fits the bill you are stating above, 1shotgear.

So, with those, would both do just fine for elk and aoudad at any range below 400 or so yards?

idig4au

WKR
This caliber my go to caliber for Elk or any mountain hunts where I expect longer shots. I've shot elk at 50 yards to sheep and ibex at 650 yards with this caliber.

I use 200 grain Barnes LRX or 200 grain Accubonds as my go to bullets. I've also taken a lot of critters with 180 gr Barnes TSX and even the old Barnes X bullets.

No need to over think this.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks.

There is a good article out there: https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.30-378+Weatherby+Magnum.html

Unfortunately I am not the most knowledgable regarding ballistics and the article left me wanting some more clear cut direction. All I know is I want a bullet that will provide a good clean kill and that these bullets are $5 a pop, so I don't want to spend a bunch of money trying to figure out what to shoot!!!

Reading this it seems like the Weatherby 180gr TSX would be reasonable and I have a box. There is also the Hornady Precision Hunter ELDX 220gr. which seems like it fits the bill you are stating above, 1shotgear.

So, with those, would both do just fine for elk and aoudad at any range below 400 or so yards?
The 220 ELDX has our vote! The higher BC will come in handy if you have to shoot across windy canyons. That bullet will hit way harder than the180 grain Barnes!

OP
ryjack70ss
Awesome, thanks for the reassurance. I will likely go with the 180 grain TSX or the 220 ELDX. Again, I appreciate the advice given how expensive this ammo is.

Ryan

I would say the 180 barnes. My friend that I hunt with has a weatherby mark v 30-378. I’ve loaded for that rifle and shot it a fair amount when he’s tied up working out of town. His has shot 180 ETips, 210 and 215 Berger’s well. Didn’t like 220 or 212 ELDx. He actually thought his twist was a little too slow on the 220. Personally a big rifle like that I would push a fast mono at the distances anticipated over a big heavy softer bullet.

I have used one in the past a lot. If I wasn't going to shoot long range with it, (500+) I would use a solid copper bullet like a Barnes or Hammer. I used a few different Barnes in mine and it worked extremely well. I also used some accubonds at longer ranges and they worked well.

AKDoc

WKR
Your 180TSX’s will get the job done just fine! It will hold up very well to those velocities. It has become the only bullet that I handload these days up here.

As a comparative, I’ve cleanly taken several large black bear with 100gr TSX’s out of a 257WTHRBY. Drove one the entire length of a 6 1/2 footer that expanded and exited the other end. My son took a 9ft grizzly with a 210gr TSX out of a 338-06...a 25yd broadside heart-shot that expanded and exited the other side...went about 30yds and died.

Last edited:
OP
ryjack70ss
The 220 ELDX has our vote! The higher BC will come in handy if you have to shoot across windy canyons. That bullet will hit way harder than the180 grain Barnes!
Just for feedback. Rifle shot sub MOA practicing out to 400 yards with factory 220 ELDX. Shot my Aoudad at 250 yards, bang flop. BB728221-EEE9-48A7-8EE2-9E15097A8C3F.jpeg