30 Cal Long Range Hunting Build

Tannerb80

Lil-Rokslider
Recently built a proof barrel/Mesa precision 6.5 Tikka and absolutely love it. Decided I’d like to build a custom .30 cal gun for longer range deer/elk hunting. Been using my tried and true Tikka .300 WM all over North America for the past 10 years, but can’t ever get it to group much better than 1”. I would like to build off the Tikka action, but it looks like it won’t allow for a 300 PRC or loaded out .300 WM due to COAL restrictions (even with upgraded bottom metals).

Looks like my options are a Tikka platform .300 WSM or a custom action 300 PRC. Both would have a fluted medium contour 24” barrel and Mesa precision or AG composite CF stock. What would you do and why?

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Well since I shipped my Tikka action to HCA today to be turned into a 300wsm/215 berger carbon killer in a AG stock, that’s what I would do. Just depends on what you want & how deep your pockets are

OP
Tannerb80

Tannerb80

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not familiar with HCA? I usually use a gun builder here in central Texas, Twisted Precision Rifles.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a local builder that your happy with their work & prices probably no need to change.

I used HCA because I got a real good vibe from Mike after talking to him a couple times, I’ve seen a couple Tikka builds he’s done for others that make little tiny groups, he’s done a lot of Tikka work & the cost was very reasonable for the quality of parts & labor received.

I went with the 300wsm over the Sherman max due to a bit less cost & the fact Mike has a proven track record with the Tikka-300wsm-215 Bergers combo setup.

I’m happy with my choices of builder, parts & cartridge so now it’s just the long wait for spring to get my hands on her & get it ready for next season.😎👍🏻

OP
Tannerb80

Tannerb80

Lil-Rokslider
I might have to check with them on the 300 WSM, would really like to keep the tikka action. However, the factory ammo performance/accuracy of the 300 PRC is appealing. Especially impressed with the way my 18” 6.5 PRC shoots the factory Hornady loads.

I might have to check with them on the 300 WSM, would really like to keep the tikka action. However, the factory ammo performance/accuracy of the 300 PRC is appealing. Especially impressed with the way my 18” 6.5 PRC shoots the factory Hornady loads.

A custom 300PRC will run around $4k with our carbon barrel and lone peak action. I’ve got a tikka build package I’m working on that will be around $2000 that will include carbon barrel, mbm brake, AG alpine hunter stock and our billet magazine + cerakote and all other labor involved.
Using our billet tikka magazine we can run a long throated WSM and you have a few choices on barrel contours depending on desired barrel length. Send me an email if you’re interested and I can spin up a build sheet :)

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use mike at HCA! Wish I would have when I built my tikka....I would contact him directly as he has plenty of knowledge on tikka actions and could answer all the questions you’d post on here.

OP
Tannerb80

Tannerb80

Lil-Rokslider
I’m gonna go 300 WSM from Hell’s Canyon. Would like an improvement over my factory tikka 300 WM without breaking the bank. The WSM should be fun to play with and retain my favorite action (Tikka). Too bad they don’t make a full sized long action!

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s hoping to Mike building us a couple 300wsm tack drivers!🍻😎

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I hope to have an HCA rifle in the future. He has the Tikka platform dialed in to an accurate and affordable package.

thamesj

FNG
Here is my new custom Tikka 300 WSM. Got to shoot a little over the break. Not bad with the wind at 300 yards and my shooting abilities. Waiting for some 215's to come in and see how it likes them. Its throated out and im using the magazine from HCA. Same velocity i was getting with my 300WM with less powder and recoil.
20200101_135917.jpg20200107_220609.jpg

thamesj

FNG
212 eldx. Straight Jacket Armory.
2.34 to the ogive using the Hornady tool put me .025 off the lands. Tried .005 off first but groups had more verticle at 300. Pretty happy here as the charge .3 grains above and below this also had .4 to .6" verticle but 2.5" or so Horizontal which i figure is partly the wind. Or me on the trigger.

thamesj

FNG
RL22. Shot a ladder with H4350 too. Had around 2.4" of verticle over 3 grains of powder at 300 but i didn't go hot enough. Plan to load anouther set up 2 more grains amd watch for pressure as i go. Heard RL26 was good too but dont have any.

Rifle has a #4 Brux 1-9 at 25.5" + 4 port MBM brake and a MCM Gamescout edge fill. Weighs 7.5 without the glass.
Recoil is awesome. Fired 20 rounds in row prone with a few short breaks to check the chrony with no problems. Alot better than my WM with a vias style break.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Have you ever used H4831sc or H1000? I’ve seen rl26 can produce some speed but it’s hard to find like retumbo.

sounds like a nice setup. Can’t wait to get mine & start building a load for it