30 cal short suppressed build

lintond

WKR
Looking to build a mountain deer & elk rifle. Will be suppressed likely with Ultra 7. Plan to run in element chassis with folder so its more compact and packable. I already have a 28N in my safe as my long range setup with 26” barrel. It’s a bit long when suppressed.

Originally was thinking 20” 300 WSM on a short action but would prefer to run 200-220 bullets which I’m not convinced will reasonably fit in the limited mag length. If I need to step up to a long action for the longer heavy bullets I’m now thinking 300 WM.

What length would you go with? 20, 22, ___??

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Consider using a medium-length action instead of a long action. They are designed for exactly what you are looking to do and will be much more reliable and less frustrating when it comes to feeding. The Element can be inletted for the Lone Peak Medium which that inlet will accept the Zermat and Stiller Medium receivers also, and we also inlet for the Defiance XM. As for length between 20-22, I would say whatever you can find available in the barrel manufacture and contour you are wanting to use. We have seen a TON of both chambered in 300 WSM and the results are almost identical all depending on the ammunition. We see more velocity variance between the different barrel manufacturers at the same length, than we see between the two inches at that length.
This is a personal 300 WSM with a 22" bartlein carbon on a Defiance XM An-Ti X.
20211117_104716.jpg

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
Consider using a medium-length action instead of a long action. They are designed for exactly what you are looking to do and will be much more reliable and less frustrating when it comes to feeding. The Element can be inletted for the Lone Peak Medium which that inlet will accept the Zermat and Stiller Medium receivers also, and we also inlet for the Defiance XM. As for length between 20-22, I would say whatever you can find available in the barrel manufacture and contour you are wanting to use. We have seen a TON of both chambered in 300 WSM and the results are almost identical all depending on the ammunition. We see more velocity variance between the different barrel manufacturers at the same length, than we see between the two inches at that length.
This is a personal 300 WSM with a 22" bartlein carbon on a Defiance XM An-Ti X.
View attachment 412359

I actually had considered the medium. What are you using for a mag? For the life of me I couldn’t figure out which AICS mags that fit that action length.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We do have the chassis cut to accept the XM mags. As of right now, they are only offered in 10-rounders but there are a few companies that are cutting them down to a 5! If you can find them in stock make sure you get one ordered because they do not last long!

Interested to hear how your build turns out.

This is how the gun started. It was built by Patriot Valley Arms. It is chambered in 300 PRC.
Zermatt TL3 LA Mag BF
Rock Creek HV contour steel barrel 26" 1:7"twist
Trigger Tech Diamond
Cadex Defense Field Competition Chassis
NF ATACR 5-25x56 F1
Spuhr mount
Kinetic Security Solutions tuner
Dead Air Keymo
Atlas bipod

The original owner went 1:7" twist to shoot heavy 241gr coppers. Decided to sell it to fund another project. I bought it.

Once I took ownership I went to the range to shoot it.
100 yard
20211112_175243.jpg
200 yard
20211112_175310.jpg

The cadex chassis is nice but doesn't fit me how I like and ran out of adjustment. So I ordered an MDT ACC. I decided to not use the ACC on this barreled action and bought an MDT HNT26.

So I took it to my gunsmith and had him swap chassis and make sure the magazines all fed properly. I also had him cut the barrel to 20" and thread it 3/4×24tpi for my new can that is currently in purgatory. I picked up the rifle yesterday from my Smith.

Here it is in the current configuration.

20220520_190756.jpg
20220520_190055.jpg

We are currently having a stupid May snow storm so I won't be able to shoot it this weekend. I plan to swap out the 5-25 and spuhr for a 4-16×42 ATACR and regular rings. Eventually the barrel will get changed as well to a different contour and twist rate but will likely stay 20" because my can is 9".

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
This is how the gun started. It was built by Patriot Valley Arms. It is chambered in 300 PRC.
Zermatt TL3 LA Mag BF
Rock Creek HV contour steel barrel 26" 1:7"twist
Trigger Tech Diamond
Cadex Defense Field Competition Chassis
NF ATACR 5-25x56 F1
Spuhr mount
Kinetic Security Solutions tuner
Dead Air Keymo
Atlas bipod

The original owner went 1:7" twist to shoot heavy 241gr coppers. Decided to sell it to fund another project. I bought it.

Once I took ownership I went to the range to shoot it.
100 yard
View attachment 412894
200 yard
View attachment 412895

The cadex chassis is nice but doesn't fit me how I like and ran out of adjustment. So I ordered an MDT ACC. I decided to not use the ACC on this barreled action and bought an MDT HNT26.

So I took it to my gunsmith and had him swap chassis and make sure the magazines all fed properly. I also had him cut the barrel to 20" and thread it 3/4×24tpi for my new can that is currently in purgatory. I picked up the rifle yesterday from my Smith.

Here it is in the current configuration.

View attachment 412903
View attachment 412909

We are currently having a stupid May snow storm so I won't be able to shoot it this weekend. I plan to swap out the 5-25 and spuhr for a 4-16×42 ATACR and regular rings. Eventually the barrel will get changed as well to a different contour and twist rate but will likely stay 20" because my can is 9".

How do you like that MDT hunter chassis? Seems like a nice idea, just not sure about how durable the integral rail will be.

How do you like that MDT hunter chassis? Seems like a nice idea, just not sure about how durable the integral rail will be.

So far I like it. I'll know more once I shoot it. The integral rail seems sturdy but time will tell on the longevity. Especially with the bigger magnums/lapuas