30 Nosler Bertram Brass Review *Updated*

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all!
I was given the opportunity to do a review on some of the new 30 Nosler brass released by Bertram. Ryan Avery was kind enough to send me 100ct for testing. First, I'll say that I have no bias for or against Bertram. This is the first time I've used their product. I'm currently running Nosler brass in my custom 30 Nosler. My rifle is a trued Remington 721 with a 27" Broughton 5c 9 twist. It is chambered with Jeff Brozovich's reamer set up for the 215 Bergers.

Initial appearance and packaging:
Brass arrived in a heavy duty zip loc bag. Packaging was adequate.
After pulling a few pieces of brass out I noticed that the necks were dinged. Not uncommon for bulk packaging, it's similar to what I've seen in the past with R-P brass right out of the bag. You will want to at least run a mandrel through the necks before trying to load. The case bodies and shoulders all seemed to be fine.
Dinged neck.JPG

I visually inspected the primer pockets and I could see that many of them were slightly out of round. Enough to cause a leak? I don't think so. I took a picture but it's kind of hard to see.
Egg shaped PP.JPG

I chose 20 random pieces to do all of my weighing and measuring with. Upon inspection of the flash holes, they appear to be well centered and nicely tapered on the inside. Notice the lines on the inside circumference of the main case body above the flash hole...more on that later.
Inside flash hole.JPG
Inside flash hole 2.JPG

Part of my measurements with these 20 pieces was neck thickness and consistency in thickness. I discovered that there is a raised edge on the outside of the case mouths that cannot be removed with a case debur tool. I had to chuck up the brass in a large drill press and carefully sand the outside edge (only at the end) of the case neck with 400 grit sand paper to be able to get accurate measurements. I ran a mandrel through the case mouth and de-burred the inside.

Now to the numbers: (20 Pieces)

Case Length (20 pieces)
Average: 2.546"
ES: .0015"
SD: .0005"

Case base to shoulder datum (20 pieces)
Average: 2.174"
ES: .008"
SD: .002

Case weight (20 pieces)
Average: 265.36 gr
ES: 5.3 gr
SD: 1.53 gr

Case weight (All 100 rounds...because I wanted to know)
Average: 265.04 gr
ES: 7.5 gr
SD: 1.65 gr

Neck thickness (20 pieces)
Average: .0148"
Average thickness variation: .0021"
Most difference out of 20: .0042"
Least difference out of 20: .001"

Primer pockets
All primer pockets measured exactly .2075"

* I decided not to bother with volume weight testing as there was so much difference in shoulder length. It seemed to me that would not provide useful information until after these cases are fire-formed.

Live fire pressure testing:

H1000, Fed 215GM and 210VLD's seated for .030" jump.
Cases were minimally sized each time to have .002" shoulder bump.
Cases were trimmed after each firing, I noticed fast brass growth. I had to trim .007"-.010" each time.
For the purpose of speed on these tests I did not chronograph rounds.

Round 1:
79 grains
Zero pressure signs and easy extraction
No growth in primer pocket
No growth in rim
Web grew .0004"

Round 2:
81 grains
Zero pressure signs and easy extraction
Primer pocket grew .0005" (Now a tight .208")
No rim growth
Web grew .0001" (total .0005")

Round 3:
82 grains
Zero pressure signs on case head, getting some resistance to bolt lift but not excessive. Decided this was max
Primer pocket still .208" but pin gauge fits easily
Rim grew .0002"
No web growth

Round 4:
82 grains
Still zero pressure signs on case head, getting some resistance to bolt lift but not excessive.
Primer pocket grew another .0005" (Now .2085")
Rim grew another .0005" (Total .0007")
No web growth

Totals
Primer pocket: .001" growth
Rim: .0007" growth
Web: .001" growth

This is where I stopped the test when I realized I had a visible crack starting on the entire circumference of the case 1/4" above the start of the extractor cut taper.
External crack.JPG

So obviously this was a show stopper. I used my dremel to cut apart the case to investigate.
Ext.Int crack cutaway.JPG
.021 Crack.jpg

Looks to me like a serious issue with a forming mandrel of some type. As you can see in the photos there's a thin area created in the forming process that produced a really weak spot.
For reference, here's a pic of a piece of R-P RUM brass (top) that has been fired 12 times with top end loads.
Rem vs. BB internal.JPG

So curiosity got the best of me, I wanted to know if this was a fluke or if there were more cases like this. I cut apart another random piece out of the 100. As you can see, this case had no issues.
Non issue cutaway.JPG

I shined a flashlight into about 15 more cases but couldn't visually see similar issues. However, it's hard to tell what you're seeing looking in at that angle. I don't have a bore scope so there's really no way for me to truly know from the outside if a particular case will have an issue like the failed case. I guess you could slide a pick tool down inside and check each case. I think the point is, we shouldn't have to do that on brand new, expensive cases.
As mentioned above, if you look at the photos of the flash holes you can see pretty aggressive tooling marks down towards the bottom of the case wall. I suspect if this case was fired 3-5 times there would be cracking issues.

Final thoughts:

Would I consider using this brass for my personal rifle? No, here's why:

1. The unknown issue with case web cracking and internal case damage
2. Price. $235 for 100ct. Granted I didn't have to buy these, but I can't see myself paying that much for 100 pieces of brass even IF they were perfect.
3. Case neck thickness variation...I would need to neck turn
4. Case weight variation...I would need to sort cases (volume weights may show more consistency?)
5. Brass seems to grow at an excessive rate even when only bumping shoulder .002". I needed to trim .007"-.010" after every firing. 82 grains was not an excessively hot load in my rifle.

Thank you Ryan Avery for the opportunity to test these cases! I hope this has provided useful information for anyone considering an alternative to the Nosler brand cases.

Jesse

Ouch. I’ve got Bertram 7mm WSM brass and out of 100 I had two that were outside 1% in case weight. It sounds like some lots are definitely better than others. In calibers were I can buy Peterson, ADG, or Lapua, I think they are better options over Bertram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the "Battle of the 30's" thread RFurman measured 6 or 7 grains less H20 capacity in Bertram 300 PRC brass than hornady 300 PRC. If the same relative capacity swing is true from Nosler to Bertram 30 nosler brass that would put these cases firmly in 300 WM territory for case capacity. 81 and 82 grains of H1000 is getting pretty dang toasty if that is the case.

I've noticed similar neck thickness and case weight variation on 7 SAUM Bertram brass. If the 7 saum I'm having built used the 'smith's standard .318" neck reamer i imagine it would end up way too tight on the thick side of the neck. Haven't shot any so it's hard to have a solid opinion on it.

OP
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
In the "Battle of the 30's" thread RFurman measured 6 or 7 grains less H20 capacity in Bertram 300 PRC brass than hornady 300 PRC. If the same relative capacity swing is true from Nosler to Bertram 30 nosler brass that would put these cases firmly in 300 WM territory for case capacity. 81 and 82 grains of H1000 is getting pretty dang toasty if that is the case.

I've noticed similar neck thickness and case weight variation on 7 SAUM Bertram brass. If the 7 saum I'm having built used the 'smith's standard .318" neck reamer i imagine it would end up way too tight on the thick side of the neck. Haven't shot any so it's hard to have a solid opinion on it.

I'm not sure on the capacity differences between Bertram and Nosler either. I started low at 79 grains because I suspected the Bertram capacity was less. When I found zero pressure signs I brought it up until I could just feel some bolt lift resistance. This was 82 grains.

At this charge there was no pressure signs of any kind on the case head. Primers had a very, very minor muffin top.
This charge is right where I wanted to be too see if the pockets would hold up.

FURMAN

WKR

I posted volumes in the other thread. Bertram 30 Nosler brass is more voluminous than Nosler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Probably explains why I was able to run 82 grains with Bertram before bolt lift and see it at 79 grains with Nosler brass. I've decided to do a little more testing with the Bertram.

I'm gonna load a few for accuracy testing and also to see what kind of ES I get on virgin vs. once fired. Chrono will tell the story on case capacity too

casey58

FNG
I went out and shot some virgin 28 nosler brass yesterday, the rifle was freshly cleaned. The first 6 shots were 3044, 3048, 3058, 3063, 3063 and 3058.

99d97458245d67c0451301818f9659ba.jpg

I’m interested in what you find, I’ve had good luck with Bertram’s 300RUM brass but just started shooting the 28.

OP
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Hi guys, I wanted to provide some updated information to this review.
I decided to do a water weight test on the 20 pieces that I had selected. I know this is a more accurate way of testing case volume so I went ahead and did it. I also randomly selected 5 pieces to test for accuracy, ES and SD's. I shot the 5 at 100 yards as virgin brass and then once as fireformed with identical charges and seating depths. I did zero load development, I just charged to .5 grain below pressure with the 210 VLD .035" off the rifling on top of a Fed 215 Mag primer.

Water weights:
(Filled to the top of case mouth...20 pieces)

Average: 98.42 grains
SD: .302 (3/10) grain
ES: .9 (9/10) grain

Live Fire with Virgin Brass:

Average MV: 2974 fps
SD: 23 fps
ES: 54 fps
* Shots 1, 2 and 3 were the exact same speed. Shot 4 was only 7 fps higher. Shot 5 went 3016 fps and is what increased SD and ES.

100 yard group with virgin brass:
IMG_3636.JPG

Live Fire with Fireformed Brass:

Average MV: 2991 fps
SD: 7 fps
ES: 21 fps

100 yard group with fire-formed brass:
IMG_3637.JPG

Final thoughts:
I'm glad I did the water weight volume test. It shows that the extreme spread in case volume may not be as bad as I originally thought based simply off of case weight.

Accuracy testing surprised me somewhat. We all know the 210 VLD's can be a little finicky with seating depth. With zero load development I saw potential with both of these groups. Group 2 with the fireformed brass most likely just needs a little tweaking with seating depth to be inside .5 MOA.
I think the charge is darn close to center of a node. SD and ES proved to be quite good, although this is a small sample. I never do load development at 100 yards, so these loads could be even more consistent shot at distance. Still not sure that I will use this brass.
As mentioned before, it will require neck turning and I'm concerned about the excessive stretching of the cases even when minimally sizing. There's the unknown issue with mandrel damage inside the cases as well. I will get as much life as I can out of my Nosler cases and then assess.