30 Nosler Build / Mag Capacity Issues

packer58

WKR
My 30 Nosler project is complete.......however I can only hold two rounds down in the magazine box.

My action, follower, blind mag box and spring were from a doner 7 mm mag. Is there an aftermarket follower that will make more room in the box that i'm not aware of ?? Hopefully i'm not the first with this problem and the fix is simple enough.

Thanks in advance to those that may have had similar issues and are willing to share some insight.

I really don't want to go the bottom metal route if at all possible......
I also have the Hawkins obendorf bdl bottom metal and can hold 3 rounds with factory magazine and follower.
You might call Wyatt outdoors to see if there's an option to change the follower to get one more in there.
You may need to change bottom metal though, or just live with it..
2+1 should be more than enough fire power

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have a 300 RUM with a blind magazine (Remington 700 KS). I can only close the bolt over two rounds in the magazine. I suspect, as suggested already, you would have to go with a BDL type bottom metal to get three down. The Hawkins M5 Oberndorf bottom metal gives you a little extra room, above and beyond what you would get with the standard BDL hinged floor plate.

338maker

WKR
you can get 3 down in an ADL setup in the custom KS stock no problem my 300 rum , borden action original KS stock has a wyatts 3.850 box and i can get 3 down with room to spare.

on the 7mag action for 30 nosler conversion ... the problem is its not as simple as just a follower!! your taking an action built around a skinnier cartridge and stuffing a larger dia case in it! it has to be able to go out as well as down!!

Last edited:

338maker

WKR
I have a 300 RUM with a blind magazine (Remington 700 KS). I can only close the bolt over two rounds in the magazine. I suspect, as suggested already, you would have to go with a BDL type bottom metal to get three down. The Hawkins M5 Oberndorf bottom metal gives you a little extra room, above and beyond what you would get with the standard BDL hinged floor plate.
you have a problem then!!

khuber84

WKR
you can get 3 down in an ADL setup no problem my 300 rum , borden action original KS stock has a wyatts 3.850 box and i can get 3 down with room to spare.

problem is its not as simple as just a follower!! your taking an action built around a skinnier cartridge and stuffing a larger dia case in it! it has to be able to out as well as down!!
If he puts a wyatt's rum Mbe-3 box follower into the adl setup he may get 3. His feed lips on the rem700 are w/o a doubt posing a possible issue as well, they're setup for a belted case vs a 404 Jeffrey based case with 550 base. I suspect he probably has poor case head presentation for feeding as well. You have a custom rifle, Borden is a very high end action, and has probably been fitted for optimum performance.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I checked my mag box and confirmed that it does have the ultra mag cut outs. I bought the rifle used so I will take it apart to see if something might be bound up.

I can’t remember what Remington advertised the mag capacity to be in the KS rifles chambered for RUM cartridges. Being limited to two in the magazine doesn’t bother me too much, though.

khuber84, I think 338maker knows a thing or two about tweaking rifles chambered for RUMs/Nosler. If he says I have a problem, I believe him.

khuber84

WKR
I checked my mag box and confirmed that it does have the ultra mag cut outs. I bought the rifle used so I will take it apart to see if something might be bound up.

I can’t remember what Remington advertised the mag capacity to be in the KS rifles chambered for RUM cartridges. Being limited to two in the magazine doesn’t bother me too much, though.

khuber84, I think 338maker knows a thing or two about tweaking rifles chambered for RUMs/Nosler. If he says I have a problem, I believe him.
If the feedlips haven't been altered from factory 7mag dimensions, this will be part of, or is your issue. The feedlips on a rem700 rum model vs standard belted mag are wider allowing cartridges to sit up higher in the magazine. I suspect this is your issue not your mag box, but the follower could be culprit as well.

338maker

WKR
Any suggested troubleshooting?

Edit - I will have to take a look to see if mine has a cut out magazine box.
your issue will be with spring binding, take it apart and make absolute sure the spring and follower are in correct position and reassemble .. some of the time I've had to bed the spring in the right position .. under heavy recoil it will work its way into a not so good way.. easy fix though

OP
P

packer58

WKR
you can get 3 down in an ADL setup in the custom KS stock no problem my 300 rum , borden action original KS stock has a wyatts 3.850 box and i can get 3 down with room to spare.

on the 7mag action for 30 nosler conversion ... the problem is its not as simple as just a follower!! your taking an action built around a skinnier cartridge and stuffing a larger dia case in it! it has to be able to go out as well as down!!
Ok, thanks for all the input guys. So........is there an aftermarket mag box / spring / follower combination that will allow me to hold 3+1 without additional machine work. For some reason i'm not having much luck with this.
I have opened up and polished the feed rails to accommodate the .550 case so that issue has been addressed.

Thanks

338maker

WKR
Ok, thanks for all the input guys. So........is there an aftermarket mag box / spring / follower combination that will allow me to hold 3+1 without additional machine work. For some reason i'm not having much luck with this.
I have opened up and polished the feed rails to accommodate the .550 case so that issue has been addressed.

Thanks
In factory length your going to need a remington RUM mag box 3.600 roughly inside length