.30 nosler is to big they said

I bought a .30 noslar and shooting 200 grain noslar partition.
I shot two does and 1 200lb buck. Both does where around 80 yds. The buck was 15 yds.
I didn’t see any more damage then I do with my .308 shooting 165 grain.
All the deer ran but leas then 10 yds.
So my question is why did it not blow a basket ball size hole like people told it would? I shot each deer behind the shoulder and lost zero meat.1611712646769.jpeg

Dcrafton

WKR
I bought a .30 noslar and shooting 200 grain noslar partition.
I shot two does and 1 200lb buck. Both does where around 80 yds. The buck was 15 yds.
I didn’t see any more damage then I do with my .308 shooting 165 grain.
All the deer ran but leas then 10 yds.
So my question is why did it not blow a basket ball size hole like people told it would? I shot each deer behind the shoulder and lost zero meat.View attachment 257526

You would have done more damage with the same shot placement at 150 yards and beyond.
I would believe if you were to slow the bullet down you would have more damage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
That makes since. I bought the thing for moose and to have fun but the deer stayed close and i wanted to meat. The guns a littke gem to cary.

With the hide removed, what did it look like? You can have a small exit wound on the outside but a big hole on the inside.

50C5769F-4FF0-4CCE-9A32-8221E917AA8D.jpeg

fishslap

WKR
I’ve shot some jack rabbit size button bucks with a 300 win mag and I don’t recall significant meat damage. I shoot bonded bullets in most of my guns. I think any stout bullet and good shot placement helps significantly with meat loss.

tater

WKR
I've hit a few deer with my 338WM shooting 225gr TSX's and have lost less meat in total than with my 25-06 using 117gr. Sierras.

As said above, bullet construction,impact velocity and location of impact are the three big determinants of damage.

With the big bores, you either miss, kill, or nick them. There is no saying that you lost them but tracked them for over a mile. Big bores are the only way for me.

OP
S
Thanks for the insight. Im going to keep running it with the noslar partitions.
Deer season is almost over but may shoot a few more before the years out.

Rich M

WKR
Some folks have no clue about what they talk.

A 200gr NP would surely just blow thru a deer and into obscurity behind the deer.

I'd expect a sheer explosion with a ballistic tip tho. LOL!

That's a lot of gun and bullet for whitetails. You can do a decent job on em with 150 gr bullets. We did that with 3006 - 150 gr at 2900 fps and they rarely took a step.

PNWGATOR

WKR
In all sincerity, a 77 TMK out of a .223 will leave a wound channel that would blow your mind in the game you killed at the distances you stated.

A different bullet would yield VASTLY different results.

With the big bores, you either miss, kill, or nick them. There is no saying that you lost them but tracked them for over a mile. Big bores are the only way for me.
That is entirely false. I tracked a whitey buck hit 3 times with a 300 RUM (Core Lokts) until I lost blood 1.5 miles later (not my buck).
As stated, it's about bullet selection. Partitions make great pencil stab wounds. Headstamps and big numbers only mean anything to small minds.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk