30 Nosler +P

Looks like an awesome build. I’m disappointed it’s not getting a swaro x5 though! Certainly looking forward to seeing it.

khuber84

WKR
The idea here is very novel indeed. I'm interested in seeing the results. N570 has done the best in my 30 nosler w/ 230s from a 26" barrel. I also run it in an xlr magnesium chassis. Ironically I have one the same actions as you, Mesa Crux ti. Proof sendero. The recoil(with a decent 5 port brake) is stout enough sometimes the magazine pops out the chassis when shooting prone with empty mag. Have also had 3 shots cause enough force thay the bottom of the accurate mag aics 3 round rum magazine to come off and the follower/spring were protruding out the mag body. I've thought about having my barrel +p throated. My freebore is 225, and with 230s, the bearing surface is still below the neck/shoulder junction.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The idea here is very novel indeed. I'm interested in seeing the results. N570 has done the best in my 30 nosler w/ 230s from a 26" barrel. I also run it in an xlr magnesium chassis. Ironically I have one the same actions as you, Mesa Crux ti. Proof sendero. The recoil(with a decent 5 port brake) is stout enough sometimes the magazine pops out the chassis when shooting prone with empty mag. Have also had 3 shots cause enough force thay the bottom of the accurate mag aics 3 round rum magazine to come off and the follower/spring were protruding out the mag body. I've thought about having my barrel +p throated. My freebore is 225, and with 230s, the bearing surface is still below the neck/shoulder junction.

Sounds like you need a better brake. I had basically the same 30 Nosler build with a terminator brake didn’t have any mag issues.
3a8489fb66a185d91c19d1baf8b7ba6d.jpg

c479c2ca2d5e7cdc4710637ee5647a4e.jpg

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Give us a call, we would love to go over any variables we can to help make sure this is not an issue.

khuber84

WKR
Is Matt gonna chamber with a saami reamer, then send to Shawn for +p treatment? Curious what kind of freebore you're looking at in the end here.

khuber84

WKR
After reading this thread, I've ordered a 22" 9tw carbon to replace my 300norma improved, or 30 nosler barrel. Build will be quite close to this, as I have the same action for the nosler and a Terminus Kratos Lite for the norma(5oz heavier). Yeah hot rod velocities look great on paper and out to a mile they help, but within ethical killing range, 1k on in, that extra 200fps means jack squat on a critter.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Is Matt gonna chamber with a saami reamer, then send to Shawn for +p treatment? Curious what kind of freebore you're looking at in the end here.

DE is doing all of the chambering on this one. I will ask about the FB when I pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan, are you going to suppress it or will it always wear a brake?

Badass, I’m in the process of building a 22” 30 nos, haven’t decided if I want to +p it yet. Look forward to seeing your finished rifle.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Sorry, this has been slow.... But its hunting season.:) Got the call from Shawn that the rifle was done. @Unknown Munitions loaded me up some boolets. Jake and his crew are the best in the game!! He started at 85 grains of 570 and worked up to 88. At 88 grains I notice the slightest hint of an ejector mark. So that's where we will play. The three-shot group was just a tad over .5 and the ES was 12 with the three shots going 2908, 2920, and 2916. I am more than happy with Berger 215s velocity and will gain a little as the barrel settles in. Never been a fan of wasting bullets with a ladder test. Just get me to 5/8" or better and I am moving on. I will let the nerds waste time at 100 yards.

One other thing, the 'Muzzle Brake' is legit. The rifle weighs 7.5 pounds total and I was keeping the target in the FOV at 100 yards for the most part.

I will post some pic tomorrow. I hope to get her validated and hunting elk next week.

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
Sorry, this has been slow.... But its hunting season.:) Got the call from Shawn that the rifle was done. @Unknown Munitions loaded me up some boolets. Jake and his crew are the best in the game!! He started at 85 grains of 570 and worked up to 88. At 88 grains I notice the slightest hint of an ejector mark. So that's where we will play. The three-shot group was just a tad over .5 and the ES was 12 with the three shots going 2908, 2920, and 2916. I am more than happy with Berger 215s velocity and will gain a little as the barrel settles in. Never been a fan of wasting bullets with a ladder test. Just get me to 5/8" or better and I am moving on. I will let the nerds waste time at 100 yards.

One other thing, the 'Muzzle Brake' is legit. The rifle weighs 7.5 pounds total and I was keeping the target in the FOV at 100 yards for the most part.

I will post some pic tomorrow. I hope to get her validated and hunting elk next week.
Ryan, are you running ADG brass? That's pretty good speed for a new 20" pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wrench

WKR
Those numbers are rad. 12 on a spread.....I'd be pounding rocks anywhere my rangefinder would ping too.

How's the blast?