.300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, or 6.8 SPC for the ONP mountain goat hunt?

This is a thought exercise, humor me. I'm daydreaming at work about what rifle I would bring if (by some miracle) my team got selected for the ONP hunt. I have very minimal hunting experience but I shoot a ton in competition (USPSA, Carbine, Gas Gun Precision Series, etc) and generally do quite well. However, I'm an absolute novice when it comes to harvesting animals. I realize I'm out of my lane so I'm looking to gather some wisdom from the tribe.

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the Olympic National Park goat hunt. I was looking through the pre-approved ammo list and I was surprised to see a couple cartridges I didn't expect:

.300 Blackout (Barnes TTSX, Corbon T-DPX, DoubleTap Tac-TX, Federal Copper HP)
6.5 Grendel (Barnes TTSX, Lehigh Controlled Chaos)
6.8 SPC (Hornady GMX, Double Tap TSX)

I think I can rule out the .300blk right away. It just makes no sense in this scenario. The range is way too limited.

So here's the thought exercise: What's the collective opinion on bringing a confirmed sub-MOA, highly reliable AR-15 in one of the other two calibers? Would it be ballistically adequate? Or would it just be downright irresponsible to go with a "small frame" rifle? The main draw of bringing an AR15 pattern rifle would be having a very light weight rifle and ammo loadout. I could put together an 18" 6.8SPC or 6.5G that would be very shootable at about 6.5 lbs naked plus around 2 lbs of ammo.

If the AR-15 is inadequate, then the next option is an AR10 in .308, It has tons of cartridges available, no question about its suitability. Weight goes up though to around 8.5 lbs naked plus around 4 lbs of ammo. Total package is 4 lbs heavier.

Final option would be to go and buy a bolt gun. I could get a Tikka for around $700. Or a little fancier and get a Seekins Havak PH1 6.5 Creed for around $1500 (I have a 25% off coupon). It would be around 6 lbs naked plus 3 lbs of ammo. The funny thing is though I just sold my custom 6.5 Creed bolt gun literally last month after not shooting it (or any bolt gun in 2 years). So I would hate to buy a new rifle for truly a single use. Which is why I'd rather stay with the gas guns above. At least those get used regularly.

So, if you were me, what would you do? Thanks in advance for helping me waste time at work!

OXN939

WKR
I think I can rule out the .300blk right away. It just makes no sense in this scenario. The range is way too limited.

Right on with this. Any of your other rifles will be perfectly fine, especially if you go with the TTSX/GMX.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
I’d take the same caliber as the rest of the team if possible. Makes some things easier in the long run.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I think your 6.5 Grendel would work best of those listed and I think would be fine out to 400yds or so (at least that’s where mine hits the 1000ft-lb limit and max distance I would use).

That said if you have an excuse to buy a new rifle......

JRMiller

WKR
I would and have used an AR 6.5G last five hunting seasons. Its always done what it supposed to do.
i mentioned in another thread just the other day my last pronghorn I dropped at 332yds with it.
The 6.8 is Ballistically identical to grendel until you get to long distances ( past 300 yards or so) so if I had one I wouldn’t hesitate to use it either.
The blackout, I have one too, no way I would use it for hunting less it’s sub 100, maybe 150yds
I’ll be honest though, if I did it again I’d buy a bolt grendel just for hunting, like a Howa. You’re usually limited on ammo capacity by state anyways, plus it would be lighter, and it would be more comfortable hiking miles through the bush with it
Imo

E292E142-D01A-4E3A-A6FC-A1FDCFB485B6.jpeg
My 6.5 Grendel with either a 123 or 129 Hornady SST (I’ll go verify later tonight) on a decently sized whitetail doe from 102. Vitals were all heavily damaged and dropped in her tracks. Wound pictured here is the entrance side, exit was slightly larger.

“You’re usually limited on ammo capacity by state anyways, plus it would be lighter, and it would be more comfortable hiking miles through the bush with it”

It always make me laugh when folks say carrying an AR is uncomfortable.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a couple 6.8's and about the only bullet I load in them is the Barnes 95gr TTSX. That would work fine, but between the two I'd rather haul my .270 bolt rifle around the mountains. I load the same bullets in the .270 as well.

This is a thought exercise, humor me. I'm daydreaming at work about what rifle I would bring if (by some miracle) my team got selected for the ONP hunt. I have very minimal hunting experience but I shoot a ton in competition (USPSA, Carbine, Gas Gun Precision Series, etc) and generally do quite well. However, I'm an absolute novice when it comes to harvesting animals. I realize I'm out of my lane so I'm looking to gather some wisdom from the tribe.

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the Olympic National Park goat hunt. I was looking through the pre-approved ammo list and I was surprised to see a couple cartridges I didn't expect:

.300 Blackout (Barnes TTSX, Corbon T-DPX, DoubleTap Tac-TX, Federal Copper HP)
6.5 Grendel (Barnes TTSX, Lehigh Controlled Chaos)
6.8 SPC (Hornady GMX, Double Tap TSX)

So here's the thought exercise: What's the collective opinion on bringing a confirmed sub-MOA, highly reliable AR-15 in one of the other two calibers? Would it be ballistically adequate? Or would it just be downright irresponsible to go with a "small frame" rifle? The main draw of bringing an AR15 pattern rifle would be having a very light weight rifle and ammo loadout. I could put together an 18" 6.8SPC or 6.5G that would be very shootable at about 6.5 lbs naked plus around 2 lbs of ammo.

If the AR-15 is inadequate, then the next option is an AR10 in .308, It has tons of cartridges available, no question about its suitability. Weight goes up though to around 8.5 lbs naked plus around 4 lbs of ammo. Total package is 4 lbs heavier.

Final option would be to go and buy a bolt gun. I could get a Tikka for around $700. Or a little fancier and get a Seekins Havak PH1 6.5 Creed for around $1500 (I have a 25% off coupon). It would be around 6 lbs naked plus 3 lbs of ammo. The funny thing is though I just sold my custom 6.5 Creed bolt gun literally last month after not shooting it (or any bolt gun in 2 years). So I would hate to buy a new rifle for truly a single use. Which is why I'd rather stay with the gas guns above. At least those get used regularly.

So, if you were me, what would you do? Thanks in advance for helping me waste time at work!
Howa Mini - 6.5 G and you're good to go.

gunnar_17

FNG
I've spent my life guiding goats in Northern B.C. any rifle with a properly placed bullet CAN kill a goat but personally I feel all 3 of those chamberings would be marginal at best.
Pound for pound goats are an incredibly tough animal if you want to stay with an AR platform I would suggest going with a 308.
Personally I'd look at the Tikka in a 300WSM with a well built hunting bullet monos are my preference.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
Take a proper hunting rifle. ARs are fun To shoot, but a bolt gun is a much better tool for the job!

I've spent my life guiding goats in Northern B.C. any rifle with a properly placed bullet CAN kill a goat but personally I feel all 3 of those chamberings would be marginal at best.
Pound for pound goats are an incredibly tough animal if you want to stay with an AR platform I would suggest going with a 308.
Personally I'd look at the Tikka in a 300WSM with a well built hunting bullet monos are my preference.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
I’m hoping to pull this combo
Off this year if the draw gods smile on me