300 blk out subs

Using the 220gn ELD-X I ended up with 9.3 gn's of IMR 4227 with fps around 1046-53 originally I was having cycling issues out of my 16" suppressed AR platform but this is what I ended up with. I have no special purpose for this particular load or rifle other than it's just cool.

My current load is Hornady 190 subx over 10.4 grains of N120, getting just over 1000 fps in a 8.5" sbr. Took it deer hunting a couple times this year but didn't have an opportunity.

So nobody has used the hodgdon CFE BLK powder? I have 11lbs of it now and its supposedly designed for the 300bo

220 Hornady RN, 12.1gr CFE BLK, sig brass, cci 450. 1023 average with 14.0 sd out of a 16” Ruger American. Chronoed using a magnetto. Zeroed it at 50. Shot roughly 1” groups at 50. It’s the only load I worked up with that particular powder. Same load with 220 smk was a little slower but didn’t group well at all.

I am using CFE BLK for subs. So far I have only loaded 200 SMK's between 11.5-12.2 grains. I have a chrono, but haven't gotten the chance to ever use it yet. But they are subsonic under 12gr of BLK based on my highly calibrated ear gauge. I hear BLK likes to be compressed, so I'm seating the SMK's pretty far at 2.105. I copied "Johnny's Reloading Bench" seating depth on his 200SMK and 300BLK video. Having a large air gap supposedly creates wide velocity spreads. I have not been able to test this yet.

I have a single box of 190 Sub-X that I am saving. Shot up most of the 200 SMK's real fast because they are so fun. Have not bought any more bullets in the 200gr range, so I'm not shooting subs for a bit :(

I'm shooting a 10.5" Ballistic Advantage barrel. Preliminary groups with the 200SMK were good. 110Vmax's printing under 1" at 100 yd at 5x mag. Quickly becoming my favorite gun with the 10" barrel and SiCo Omega 300 and shooting so well with the two bullets I've used so far.

I have my supers sighted in at 100, and the 200SMK hits almost exactly 5mil low from that zero. Which is exactly why I got my 1-5 LPVO with a mil reticle. My plan: Hog Hunting; first round in mag Subsonic, hold 5 mils. Rest of the mag, supers, hold POA out to 100yd.

Last edited:

35remy

FNG
I have been using CFEBLK with 220gr Berry’s Bullets for 300blk subs in my 10.5” pistol. Works just fine for me. Just used the starting Hodgdon load data for 220 Sierra and was able to back down a little bit. No need to tinker with it anymore at this time. Is quiet with my can and cycles every time. I use H110 for my super loads.

OP
M

Mginn68

FNG
I have been using CFEBLK with 220gr Berry’s Bullets for 300blk subs in my 10.5” pistol. Works just fine for me. Just used the starting Hodgdon load data for 220 Sierra and was able to back down a little bit. No need to tinker with it anymore at this time. Is quiet with my can and cycles every time. I use H110 for my super loads.
Thanks for info. Have you hunted with any of the 220 grains ? I found some 220 gr Hornady round nose bullets in stock.

I’ve loaded the Hornady ELD-x in the past to hunt with. Loaded to CFEBLK. Pattern great. Just no exits on whitetail at 50 yards.

I'm not a pro with 300aac but this is the exact thing I do.

My head spins when I started getting components because of the possibilities. So I broke it down like this.
Subsonic range toy
Subsonic expanding
Supersonic hunting

Basically following the above 3 criteria and apply the cfe/110 powder recommended. If not I swear there's a dozen options for each of the 3 criteria.

jhm2023

WKR
I load a fair amount of 300 blackout. My only supersonic load is with H110 and 115gr Lehigh controlled chaos running somewhere around 2,200' out of a 10.5" barrel. My go to powder for subs has always been 1680 for a variety of bullets from 190-225gr. I load my hunting subs to 1,000 fps and all my plinking subs around 900'. 1680 is impossible to find lately so I'm slowly switching out to CFE BLK with good results so far and I may just stick with it. I shoot suppressed 100% of the time so the subs make a lot of sense, especially considering that's kind of the point of the cartridge.

As far as hunting goes, the past few years my wife and I have both used our 300 blackouts for shooting bears over bait typically in the 10-75yard range. Something like 11 or 12 bears (a few were over 6.5') with the blackout, half being with the 115gr controlled chaos(supers) and the other half using 190gr Maker REX with a muzzle velocity right at 1,000' (subs). None of the bears have made it more than ~30 yards regardless of using subs or supers and the subs exit more often than the supers do. It's to the point I don't have a preference between the subs and supers for hunting because they both work equally well. They work in different ways, but the desired outcome is the same. That said, I think the bullet choice is what makes the 300 a viable hunting choice or not and obviously shot placement. If you use crap bullets and/or are a poor shot, then expect subpar results on game and don't blame it on the headstamp. I shoot a fair amount of lynx, fox and coyotes with it too when I don't feel like carrying a longer rifle.

For spot and stalk bears I'd opt for something with a bit more power for increased shot distance and ability to take shots at less than ideal angles. Over bait where we have more control over the distance and how the bear presents a shot angle the little 300 works just fine. If you cant kill an animal with a subsonic round then I'd say you probably suck at hunting, shooting or both.

This is my experience based opinion and I suppose it's worth what you just paid for it.

35remy

FNG
Thanks for info. Have you hunted with any of the 220 grains ? I found some 220 gr Hornady round nose bullets in stock.

I’ve loaded the Hornady ELD-x in the past to hunt with. Loaded to CFEBLK. Pattern great. Just no exits on whitetail at 50 yards.
I have used some of the Hornady Sub-X and the Sig Elite hunting subs on hogs/coyotes at reasonable distances, but I haven’t had a reason to try to hunt whitetail with a sub load. Using H110 and Barnes Tac-TX 110gr for a supersonic load leaves me with enough confidence for whitetail at a reasonable distance, and it isn’t too much louder out of my can. If I were going to try a sub deer load, I would use a bullet constructed to expand at lower velocities for that purpose.

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got some lapua 200gr that I load with h100 or one of the vintori powders and they’re nice and quiet out of my sbr will check my load notes when I get home thursday