300 prc vs 300 rum for hunting

boliver29

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at a fierce rifles just on the fence with what caliber. Wasn’t thinking about a 300 prc but ammo is easier to get and way cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
300 prc is plenty. No need for the extra recoil of the rum. Your skill will be a bigger factor than the choice between those calibers. All the arguments pro and con are splitting hairs when the bullet hits the critter. Get either one and get good with it. Don’t overthink it.

IMO, 300 prc is gonna be easier to find ammo and will only get easier. Barrel life is longer with the same 300 prc as well. It’s easier to shoot with less recoil.

I have a buddy who has a 300 rum and he can’t hit jack and never practices with it cause of the recoil and cost. I went shooting with him one time and slipped in an empty case and he about jerked the rifle over cause he had a flinch. He is 6’5” and 270ish. He shot the jaw off his deer this year and tracked it for hours. It’s a sample of one dude, but it repeats. You gotta man up to shoot a rum… I am a sissy for sure. I won’t even shoot a 300 prc….

jimh406

WKR
Neither since you are considering finding ammo. Go 300 Winchester Magnum or 300 WSM. Yes, there is some 300 PRC ammo that is available now, but there is a very limited selection of hunting bullets.

Looking at a fierce rifles just on the fence with what caliber. Wasn’t thinking about a 300 prc but ammo is easier to get and way cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd get the 300 PRC
I've actually seen quite a bit of Hornady 212 eldx ammo in my part of Idaho lately, and that bullet would be my first choice for elk.

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
the rum is so beyond overbore.the prc is a up and comer,i own 2 custom 300 mags one is a winchester and the other a dakota.in a 30 cal and hunting without a break i am fine with either.years ago i bought 1000 brass for the dakota and glad i did,along with gunsmith who built it had the dies made.also had the dies made from the smith for the win mag.if your a accuracy freak like myself its a great way to go.all that said the 300 rum if you can handle it or use a break is extremely accurate,

bmart2622

WKR
The prc doesn't really do anything a win mag cant do. The ultra mag is a beast but this day in age there are plenty of good options for muzzle devices to make recoil a non factor. Between the prc and ultra mag I would stick with my ultra mag

There is little difference in the PRC and RUM. The PRC case holds 22 less grains of powder... BUT your bullets don't get pushed down into the case. When loaded with the same bullet, there is about 10g powder difference between them and they are roughly within 50 fps of one another. (much like the 28N and 7PRC)
My vote would go to the PRC if you want to save yourself some time and you like handloads. You can buy 1k rounds of PRC hornady ammo for about the same price as 400 rounds of RUM

I wouldn't look at either of these rounds in terms of barrel life. Even with the RUM, you'll get ~1000 rounds of life out of it. Not many people throw more than 20rds a year after they are sighted in. So assuming you throw 300rds down the tube to do load development and break in. You have 600-700 rounds of life left in it.

With 600 rounds of life, you'd have to shoot 20rds year for 30 years to burn it out.

Last edited:

Toondaddy

FNG
Definitely the RUM. 300 PRC being not much better that the 300WM and the newest fad may be just that, a passing fad. 300 RUM has been around quite a while but with the demise of Remington it has taken a hit.

repins05

WKR
300 prc more All around hunting rifle (Probably). However I pic my .300 rum over my prc.