300 prc

I’m interested now that I know you will be able to shoot factory PRC in a Sherman improved chamber... more horsepower and easy fireforming/convenient factory backup. I’m looking hard at the bergara premier hmr pro once it’s available.

Though still not sure if it’s a better idea than a 300 wsm Barrel for my vector.

mtmuley

WKR
I kind of see the 300 PRC as being attractive to the guy that doesn't handload. He doesn't really get into or appreciate all the details about case design, chamber, etc. He just wants to buy a factory rifle and shoot factory ammo at long range, so the availability of low cost ammo intended for long range makes it a good choice for him. Seems like a long range magnum chambering that gets a guy into the game. IMO it's a better option than the other 300 magnums when it comes to factory ammo. For guys that handload their 300 magnums for long range though, I can see how they wouldn't be too impressed. Hornady is a business, and they're definitely paying attention to market trends.

What you describe us fine. As long as that "factory" guy is shooting long range targets and not live ones. mtmuley

“Most” factory ammo I’ve seen has an ES of around 50fps. Which in my opinion is good for around 700 yards max. Anything farther and you should be under 20fps ES.

Though I did just chamber of 308 that was shooting federal 175SMK Ammo into the low .3’s with 5 shots from 2574-2592fps, that’s far from the norm!

I’m going to order a PRC reamer, it’s going to be popular and it’s very new already, just my guess.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why a factory gun with factory ammo that's dialed in cant kill at long range?
You have to have a custom and be a handloader?

Accuracy isn’t the issue. I’ve a few reamers that consistently shoot factory ammo under 1/2MOA. The issue is extreme spread on velocity.
Here’s two drop charts with a 215 berger. Identical conditions, one at 2900fps, the other at 2950fps. Anything past 700 yards is going to have a 4” vertical drop difference. This is also with a very high BC bullet, the issue is exaggerated with lower BC bullets.
e5347889262e235bb1c36dd214b82d9e.jpg

6b70f27da04ac364c4bd5fd388598599.jpg

It’s not uncommon to find a handload with a sub 15fps spread. You can get down to single digits with good scales, dies, and knowledge as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sodbuster

WKR
TauPhi111

I think the appeal is that the case/chamber addresses all the aspects that people always bitch about with the other 30 cal magnums, presumably creating something that has the perfomance characteristics of all of those others with none of the drawbacks. You will always hear some people complain about the belt on a Win Mag, the belt/double radius shoulder/length of the Weatherby, the rebated rim of the RUM, the 416 Rigby head of the Norma, the fact that the Nosler doesn't offer much in ballistics over anything else...all those are addressed in the PRC. To the practical guy who doesn't see those flaws as the end of the world, it's just another 30 cal magnum, but someone is going to like it for sure.

This, currently I am out of 300 Wins and have one 300 Weatherby left and lots of 30 cal components. Never going to give up the 300 WSM so happened to be looking into all the 300's for another rifle. I am a handloader and just like the 6.5prc there may be whole other animal hiding here.

ams

WKR
I have one being built that I’m excited to try out. I like that I can grab Hornady stuff off the shelf and load for more specific performance. This build was a 300 rum that I was able to make a last minute change on. One of the attractions for me, in California, is that the 300PRC was designed for longer bullets or at the very least took it into account. The lead free Cutting Edge bullets are pretty long but offer the highest B.C.s in the lead free game for actual mid to long range hunting applications. This was going to equal a super long overall run cartridge and it just looks like the 300 PRC will be a bit easier to work with. I won’t really know until I get it however.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Could the 300 PRC be built on a Rem 7mm mag rifle? or would that action require more work? Asking because there is an older (1980s) local for cheap that I have been eyeballing. Looks like someone had done some work to the original barrel so I would be getting it for the action and bottom metal. Was thinking 300 Win mag but the PRC sounds interesting.

I do hand load and understand the comments about the PRC being a good choice for one that does not hand load, but is it still a good choice for hand loaders? My concern would be brass availability.

FURMAN

WKR
The 212 factory ammo is around 3.65". It will fit in a factory Remington mag box. I do not have my barrel yet so I do not know how far off the lands that is. I also can not get my hands on factory 225 ammo so no idea there. the 300 PRC has quite a bit of Freebore so the 215 Berger is going to be way out there and may be pushing the limits of a factory Rem mag box. Using some measurements off my Nosler and adding the number of the extra freebore puts it right at 3.7" with a 215 Berger in PRC.

Wapiti1

WKR
Scoony, Yes, a Rem 700 originally in any magnum chambering except the Ultra Mags, would be a simple conversion. Other than the barrel swap, you might need to do a little tweaking of the mag box sides for feeding. Otherwise, it will all fit. If you are gong to the trouble, and want to run long ass bullets, have a 3.8" Wyatts box put in at the same time.

Jeremy

FURMAN

WKR
The 300 PRC should be fine as far as width in a 7mm mag box. I would be the length I would be concerned with. Saami spec on the RUM is 3.6". I know most run them longer because they have a ton of freebore. The 300 PRC as .230 ish. the max SAAMI length is 3.7". That is with Hornady bullets. Berger bullets almost always have shorter bearing surfaces and that is definitely the case with the 215. Having the longer bearing surface will require it to be seated out quit a bit to touch the lands. Assuming that because it has worked in the past it will work in the future is not a good assumption. Both the 6.5 and 300 PRC are pushing new boundaries in cartridge case design. I am not going to say they are better but they are not confining themselves to the 2.850 and the 3.4 limitations of the past. Can a 300 PRC be built on a 700? Absolutely as I stated above the 212 factory ammo will fit the magazine box. The concern is how many bullets will be too long for the magazine box when seated to touch the lands. If I were doing it I would have a Wyatt box installed.

ams

WKR
Mine will have the extended box installed. I’m excited to see how it turns out but it still could take a while until I actually have it in my hands. In the mean time I’ll be looking for ammo and components.

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
A good buddy of mine is a "Factory Guy" and he's probably killed more critters at long range than most of us.
Hornady has given talented shooters (that don't share our handloading passion) the opportunity to ethically take animals way out there.
No need to sneer at these guys..

What about the 300 Norma Magnum? How's that been going around the industry? About a year and half it was really picking some traction up, seems like it's been faded and the PRC has taken its place? Is that a good assessment?

What about the 300 Norma Magnum? How's that been going around the industry? About a year and half it was really picking some traction up, seems like it's been faded and the PRC has taken its place? Is that a good assessment?

Has a different bolt face and unlikely it will ever become common in platforms that don't already chamber for 338 Lapua.