300 PRC

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
Any of the 30 cals that can shoot the 200+gr high BC bullets at a reasonable velocity seem to look nice on paper.

freebird

WKR
I haven't compared the actual cartridges, isn't the 300 PRC built off the 375 Ruger and the 300 RUM off the 404 jefferies. I think I'm gonna wildcat a 408 cheytac and call it a 6.5 Needmoor.....gonna need more powder....lol

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
The 300 RUM i'm not sure, The new Nosler cases (30 Nosler) are based off the 404 Jeffery.

Article 4

WKR
Having had one of the very first 30 Nosler's way before it was released at SHOT, I have years of experience shooting this new line. Both the Nosler and the PRC were developed to meet a primary caliber need and drive a couple of manufacturing/marketing goals

NEED:
  • Develop a less finicky, more efficient round that was faster than the 300 WM and allowed similar velocities as the 300 RUM and the 300 Weatherby
  • Cases that allow longer high BC bullets within a standard spec mag without sacrificing case capacity and mag issues in the 300 RUM with those long bullets - for both factory and hand loaded ammo
  • Producing higher velocities that could eclipse the magic 3000 FPS mark. (whether we think that is magic is up for debate but data shows hunters do)
GOALS:
  • New calibers drive sales, marketing, and company focus. Revenue streams come from new products and companies realize they need to innovate to grow market share
  • New calibers drive free press, here we are talking about it
  • New calibers bring new people into the market and drive new customers to a brand they may not have previous experience
There is some ballistic difference between the two rounds. Example, only for initial comparison and realize the bullets aren't the same but you get the idea; but both rounds meet the need and goal when compared to 300 RUM and 300 Weatherby considering they use less powder to achieve the following:
  • 300 PRC with a 225 ELD Match - Mzl Vel 2810 - bullet drop at 500 yards - 38.4 inches
  • 30 Nosler with a 210 ablr - Mzl Vel 3000 - bullet drop at 500 yards - 33.7

From here, it is about capturing markets share and sales from each company perspective. Hornady will flood the market as they usually do, that is their model. Nosler will continue to be a mid sized company focused on driving true innovation.

End game - if you want a new 30 cal, pick one. They both meet the need, they are both badass, they are both improvements over the existing factory calibers (unless you call the 300 Norma or others true factory calibers) - which one is better is up to you and this debate.