300 RSAUM Questions

NateK

If I build a rifle for just about everything why shouldn't I build a 300 RSAUM? I figure I could buy several hundred rounds of a factory load that shot well and with that brass be set for many years on ammo. The rifle would be a custom build, 22" to 24" barrel, hopefully 8 to 8.5 pounds ready to hunt. Would be used for everything I may hunt in the future in the states, i.e. elk, moose, caribou, bears of all shapes and sizes. I do not plan on shooting critters over 500 yards on the regular. I know the 300 win mag probably makes more sense due to mass popularity but I do tend to prefer short action rifles with shorter barrels. I rarely fly for a hunt so not having ammo isn't really a concern for me. Also, the 300 WSM is an option but I'm not sure it has any advantages besides off the shelf ammo options.

Any experience with a 300 RSAUM is appreciated, especially experience regarding bullet weights, barrel lengths, and velocities.

Tjay

I load for 2 both Rem M7. I get 3175 fps with 150s, 3100 with 165 and 2900+ with 180s. The wife and I have taken deer, antelope and elk with them.

I should add brass life has been great. I have loaded brass up to 10 times and it is still good.

Gen273

Another option would be a 300 RCM or a 338 RCM. However, with that said, the 300 RSAUM is a fine cartridge. The 300 WSM is a great one as well, but I find it a little more finicky to load than the RSAUM and the RCM. However, as you mentioned, the 300 WSM has a ton more factory load options.

wildwilderness

I have a Model 7 in 300 saum. Does well. I got it as a bigger rifle for my kids for brown bear and moose. My son shot a cow moose with a 175 LRX last year and full penetration through both shoulders at 200 yards and the cow tipped over.

rootacres

Im rolling with a 7mm SAUM and feel confident for elk and smaller. With what you have on the list to hunt the 300 SAUM would be good. Why not a 300 WSM though? It has more factory load options. Since you are doing a custom build you could do a medium or long action. That would give you the flexibility to rock everything from 150gr to 225gr+ pills with slightly more performance than a SAUM. In a SA platform you're probably going to run into mag box length issues with both.

Just my 2 cents worth. Both would be great options.

ACHILLES

300 SAUM is a fine cartridge that fits many niches. It will run a 215 Berger at 2800 with h-1000 in a 26” Bbl. A great all around cartridge. Basically a 30/06 Improved.

riversidejeep

I've been running a 300 saum since they came out in the model 7. Works great on deer , elk, just about anything you point it at. That said I've done a few million rounds of load development and just cant get the factory barrel to shoot the way I want (1- 1-1/2 ) moa. I'm starting to look for a prefit barrel and am finding a lack of guys that chamber in this caliber. I would like to stick with it as I have all the brass and dies. To answer your post I run Hornady gmx 150's at 3125 with Varget.

OP
NateK

NateK

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this cartridge. It's hard to find real life input on it!