300 Ultra Mag

I know this is probably a bad time to work on load development with everything that is going around but I have enough to start. I trying to decide between the 215 berger or 200LRX. This is a fairly lightish rig and will be used for high country deer/elk. I live in Cali so I could use the LRX but I have other guns that are loaded for non lead that I use for California. I have a few different powders and primers that I can use also. Just wondering which to run with. I use to load the 168ttsx and had great accuracy but was running into pressure so I decided to just either run with the 200LRX or 215s since I starting over in load development. Yes it kicks like a mule and with its weight its not put together to shoot out to a 1000 yards.

Thanks

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
I use rl33 with 230's in my rum. I also have a retumbo load

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Paulcobb

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve tried a handful of bullets and stoped looking when I found the berger 215’s. I use H1000 with fed 215 primers. The shoot awesome, easy to tune and perform great on game.

DRUSS

WKR
245gr and N570 in mine
Tried the 230s with RL-33 had .6-.8 type accurate load but 245gr was just a bit better for me

PA Hunter

WKR
I load for 5 different .300 Rums since about 2000, and have had great accuracy with 200 gr Barnes TTSX with RL 25 and also my favorite load 200 GR Accubonds RL 25 and Retumbo. I dabbled with RL 33 with good results and also Accurate powders with 180 gr partitian golds years ago that cloverleaf.

1stSgt M

Lil-Rokslider
Barnes 180ttsx with Retumbo has worked well for me sub MOA .3 - .5, never could get a consistent load with LRXs. I have some Hammer Hunters I am going to test.

I load for three 300RUMs and they all shoot around .5moa with Norma brass, 200gr AB, Hefty charges of Retumbo, and a fed 215M. I’ve tried RL-25, Ramshot Magnum, IMR 7828ssc, and H-1000, Retumbo was the best by far in our Fierce’s and Sako.
Personally, I would lean toward the LRX if I had to pick between the two you mentioned. I think it would be a great bullet for RUM velocities.

1stSgt M

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I should try a heavier LRX? I have always felt there is nothing I can't kill with a 180 grain bullet in a RUM.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
While the LRX or TTSX gives me the warm and fuzzies, I have also witnessed a trend with retumbo and 200 grain Accubonds providing good accuracy in 3 different RUM's. They also made me happy with their ability to take the wiggle out of critters near or farish (640 yards) from whitetails to moose.

1stSgt M

Lil-Rokslider
I have also had good luck using RL22, a little slower than I would like but consistent.

Attachments

• IMG_1411.jpg
    IMG_1411.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 11

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I've mentioned it here before, but mine shoots great with a 200 gr AB and Retumbo. It shoots higher velocities and tighter groups with the same bullet and N570.

SammY STW

FNG
I don't have a rum but a couple of my friends do, and they weren't happy with the results of the 180 TTSX on deer. I'm not sure if it was just operator error or not, but they're convinced that the barnes pencils through, little bleeding, hard to find game, etc.

1stSgt M

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a rum but a couple of my friends do, and they weren't happy with the results of the 180 TTSX on deer. I'm not sure if it was just operator error or not, but they're convinced that the barnes pencils through, little bleeding, hard to find game, etc.
I've heard that before but never have had the issue, nor have others guys that I hunt with. Unfortunately this awesome state I live in (not) is leadfree so we haven't had a lot of choice, so must of my loads are leadfree. This year will be my first using the Hammers for hunting, the few tests I have done seem promising as far as expansion I am impressed with how consistent they seem. Maybe others can share feedback???

SammY STW

FNG
I've read lots of great things about the hammers. I tried loading some 181s for my friend's rum but wasn't real happy with the velocity or accuracy. I saw that they changed the twist recommendation for the 181, and now also have a 180 HH.
I told them to keep shooting the factory Barnes because they are super accurate in their guns, but they didn't like them after shooting a couple deer with them