.300 weatherby - need some help

Lucci

FNG
I grew up hunting with slug guns because I am from NJ. It wasn’t until rather recently that I began to get into shooting rifles. I started on the low recoil end, .308 and 30-06. When I moved to shooting big boy rounds (which so far has only been recent and from friends guns) I was surprised at how light the recoil was. Don’t get me wrong, it is by no means “light” recoil, but I would definitely compare it to some of my bigger slug guns. Just some food for thought as talking with many western hunters they never had that experience. I was prepared for pain and anticipation but was pleasantly surprised. This also depends on the set up (barrel, weight of the rifle, brake, weight of the round, etc). I haven’t shot the .300 wby, I figured it would be similar to a .300 Win which wasn’t as bad as I thought but apparently it has a little more touch then that.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Do not get the lightweight unless you get the brake. I have the standard Weathermark and it’s not unpleasant to shoot. Recoil is less than my 12ga with slugs. You might look at the 7mm Weatherby. It’ll do anything you ask of it. Just finished putting together a AccuMark in 257 that I bought off here. The AccuMark is about a pound heavier than the Weathermark.
The Weatherby will make you a fine rifle.

OP
T
Do not get the lightweight unless you get the brake. I have the standard Weathermark and it’s not unpleasant to shoot. Recoil is less than my 12ga with slugs. You might look at the 7mm Weatherby. It’ll do anything you ask of it. Just finished putting together a AccuMark in 257 that I bought off here. The AccuMark is about a pound heavier than the Weathermark.
The Weatherby will make you a fine rifle.

I actually just placed my order today. I went with the 7mm, I did go with the weathermark LT which comes with the brake on it. Looking forward to it. I was torn with the 7mm or 300 wby but figured what you just said, the 7mm will take care of everything I’m looking for. Down the line I’ll eventually get a .300 or more for some bigger action but I’ve got a while till I would need that so figured the 7mm was the way to go.

Thanks all for your input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dhbwa

WKR
I really don’t like shooting braked rifles, especially under cover. I hate being next to someone with a braked rifle on the range.
I keep trying brakes and keep putting thread protectors on.....I hate the sound waves/percussion more than the recoil..

I would just shoot something that recoils less. Hard to argue with a 30-06.....Just saying.

just noticed it’s a done deal. Good luck and let us know

I have a Vanguard Stainless Synthetic in 300 Weatherby wearing a Leupold VX-6. It comes in at just over 9lbs fully loaded and packs a wallop on both ends. It surely kicks a bit but clobbers the heck out of everything I‘ve pointed it at Mountain Caribou, Brown Bear, etc. Mine likes both Accubonds and Barnes TTSX.

7mm is also a good choice for western game - enjoy your rifle.