300 weatherby reloading issues

I've had a 300 weatherby vanguard 2 for several years and have recently started to reload for it. It shoots the factory weatherby brand 180 grain nosler partitions at about .75 moa. I'm having trouble getting anything to group well. I've tried four or five different powders and four or five different bullets. I'll get two shots that are almost touching and then i'll get one two inches out. I've replaced the factory stock with a bell and carlson. The barrel is floated and action bedded. I've checked the torque on the stock and the rings and bases. I have no issues reloading for my 308 or 243 in other gun makes. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Did you test different seating depths? Also are you neck sizing or FL sizing your brass?

OP
F
I'm loading to factory specs for the most part and trying to use the same length as the stuff that shoots well. I think I may have found my issue. I had some barnes brass mixed in with my weatherby brass. I'm guessing they are slightly different capacities and thus slightly different pressures and velocity. Any thoughts?

Swift

Lil-Rokslider
Never mix headstamps ! I've found with all my Weatherbys that they shoot best as fast as I can safely push them 😉

Reggart

FNG
The barnes brass is definitely going to shoot different, different neck tensions = different pressure/release. I'd stick with the factory OAL as the weatherby's like to jump before they hit the lands. You know the rifle can do .75 so it isn't the rifle, it's the load, case prep, powder...etc.

Reggart

FNG
I was able to get my dad's lasermark to .58, weatherby's are pretty awesome BUT they do have that pencil thin barrel, which I don't care much for. They can be highly accurate with the right load though. I've been told that weatherby factory brass is lapua. I'd go with either weatherby factory brass or lapua.

OP
F
Found my problem. I shipped my scope in to Vortex for warranty work and they said it was shifting an inch during their impact test. Should be fixed but haven't been to the range yet. Thanks for the advice.

Found my problem. I shipped my scope in to Vortex for warranty work and they said it was shifting an inch during their impact test. Should be fixed but haven't been to the range yet. Thanks for the advice.

i would say you had two problems! Mixed Headstamp brass is going to shoot completely different as other guys have noted. A broken scope doesn’t help either

OP
F
Happy to report that after having the scope fixed and not mixing head stamps I'm back to .75 moa. I ended up finding a load with imr 7828ssc and 180 nosler partitions going a little over 3200 fps that shoots great. I tried accubonds but my gun doesn't seem to like them with 4 different powders. I also had some sub moa groups with 180 barnes ttsx and180 federal trophy bonded. Good luck to everyone on your upcoming hunts.