300 win mag ammo for elk

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
Heading out to Montana 2021 for a deer and elk combo hunt and want some suggestion on ammo you guys would use in a 300 win mag? In 2017 I took a elk at 310 yards with the Hornady precision hunter 200gr. I was successful but I didnt get an exit on any of my shots. They were all in the vitals and dropped him nearly in his tracks but showed sign of life while on the ground trying to get up until it ultimately ended up expiring.

Im only looking for suggestion of factory ammo since I do not reload.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Typically, we are big fans of Berger Bullets. They perform very similar to the ELDX. They will fragment inside the animal and not exit. In our experience, Berger Bullets usually result in the fastest kills. The 215 grain Berger Hybrid is our favorite hunting bullet out of any big 30 cal magnum. However, if you are wanting a bullet that will leave an exit hole, you should take a look at Nosler ammo loaded with 200 grain Accubonds!

OP

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies thus far.

I know like most other ammo everything is hard to come by but I have looked at the Federal Terminal Ascent and it looks interesting. Its newer so Im sure there isnt a lot of data on how it does on game but has anyone been shooting this?

Carr5vols

WKR
Hornady SST 180 gr, has been really good to me. My weatherby VS2 loves them and shoots tight groups with them.

JonS

WKR
My Tikka 300 win mag loves 165ttsx and I'm 4/4 on elk with it from 220-430 yds.
Stinks not having much brass to reload, but plenty of meat to process.

JonS

WKR
My Tikka didn't like the partitions in 180 as much as the 165's, I'd love a little more weight, but who can argue with dead elk.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

I know like most other ammo everything is hard to come by but I have looked at the Federal Terminal Ascent and it looks interesting. Its newer so Im sure there isnt a lot of data on how it does on game but has anyone been shooting this?
The Terminal Ascent is the new version of their TLR. My T3X in 300 WM loved the TLR but I was never able to find any for about 18 months so I moved on (190 gr Berger hand loads). If you try them and your rifle likes them, buy as much as you can.

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
You said you shot an elk with the 200 ELD-X and it dropped in its tracks. Sounds like the bullet worked. I've shot 2 elk, 1 caribou, 1 mule deer and 1 white tail with the 200 ELD-X. I've witnessed 1 other elk and 2 caribou shot with the 200 ELD-X. From 90 yards to 700 yards. They are all dead. I think people worry too much about getting an exit hole. If the animal drops where is stands- what's to complain about?

OP

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
You said you shot an elk with the 200 ELD-X and it dropped in its tracks. Sounds like the bullet worked. I've shot 2 elk, 1 caribou, 1 mule deer and 1 white tail with the 200 ELD-X. I've witnessed 1 other elk and 2 caribou shot with the 200 ELD-X. From 90 yards to 700 yards. They are all dead. I think people worry too much about getting an exit hole. If the animal drops where is stands- what's to complain about?
Yes it did but my fear is if it didn’t, without a pass through would I have found him? There was little to no blood at the kill site even though it took him some time to expire.

Just wondering what others have experienced with other rounds.

Geewhiz

WKR
Heading out to Montana 2021 for a deer and elk combo hunt and want some suggestion on ammo you guys would use in a 300 win mag? In 2017 I took a elk at 310 yards with the Hornady precision hunter 200gr. I was successful but I didnt get an exit on any of my shots. They were all in the vitals and dropped him nearly in his tracks but showed sign of life while on the ground trying to get up until it ultimately ended up expiring.

Im only looking for suggestion of factory ammo since I do not reload.

What more could you ask for? No exit would means it unloaded 100% of its energy on the animal. As long as it got through the ribs your golden.

Elk are incredibly tough animals. I don't think your going to find any bullet that is going to drop a bull elk dead nuts in its tracks and not show any signs of life unless you hit him in the spine.

letrbuck

WKR

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
Accubonds are my go to bullet for elk.
180gr in my 300wsm and 225gr in my 338.
I really do not like bullets that fragment for elk or deer for that matter.
Nosler Partitions would be my second choice

robie

WKR
If your main concern is an exit home look at the Barnes TTSX. I've shoot elk, antelope, deer, buffalo with it. No complaints. Exit hole most of the time. 99-100% weight retintion for the ones I recovered from my buffalo.

I always have larger groups with it compared to other ammo. But it get the job done.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk