300 win mag ammo for hunting

Clockwork

Lil-Rokslider
Help a new hunter!

Best is a relative term to use for sure, so I want to know what is your go to round or rounds that you use for hunting big game from antelope to elk. I have a tikka t3x superlite that I'll be using this on. I was thinking of going with a 180 grain round.

When sighting a scope in or getting range practice is it ok to use like some cheap core lokt ammo for range time? or should one be practicing with the hunting round you choose?

I was considering this round personally as I hear the accubonds are good to use
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...osler-accubond-rifle-ammo-20-rounds/p/1015893

Last edited:

JohnnyB

WKR
I have the T3x Light and use a 180 gn Barnes TTSX. It has been a great round from foxes to bears.

Sure, why not use the cheap stuff to get trigger time. I have some that I shoot rocks with. Since I started reloading, I just have a bunch of the Barnes loaded up and my trigger time is usually dedicated to trying a new powder load.

hodgeman

WKR
I've been using the 180AB in my 300 for quite a few years. It's worked so well I've had very little desire to experiment with anything else.

There are a number of good bullets suitable for the .300, I'd probably avoid the lighter ones as they just don't serve so much of a purpose over using a 180gr. The heavier bullets really don't do a whole lot a 180gr won't do either until you get into some pretty specialized pursuits. Sticking with a 180gr controlled expansion bullet like the Accubonds, TSX or similar makes a versatile setup.

While you definitely need to sight the rifle in for your hunting load, there's no issue with shooting and practicing with something cheaper.

OP
C

Clockwork

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the 180AB in my 300 for quite a few years. It's worked so well I've had very little desire to experiment with anything else.

There are a number of good bullets suitable for the .300, I'd probably avoid the lighter ones as they just don't serve so much of a purpose over using a 180gr. The heavier bullets really don't do a whole lot a 180gr won't do either until you get into some pretty specialized pursuits. Sticking with a 180gr controlled expansion bullet like the Accubonds, TSX or similar makes a versatile setup.

While you definitely need to sight the rifle in for your hunting load, there's no issue with shooting and practicing with something cheaper.
Thanks for the info I just went ahead and bought some federal premium in 180 gr accubond to try out. Should work out well I hope.

I killed the only Elk I ever shot at with a 150 grain CoreLokt from a 7RM at 528 yards. I’m now shooting 165 grain TTSX’s from a 300WM at 3,160 FPS. I mainly hunt Whitetails in Mississippi but would not hesitate to hunt Elk with this combo.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Not much reason not to use an accubond if they shoot well. I like accubonds a lot not many North American hunting situations they won't work for.

I know its not popular opinion and goes against the unspoken ethos of many forums but it is pretty hard to argue with all the critters killed by Corelockts, Interlocks, Powerpoints, Gamekings and Prohunters and a wide variety of other economical soft points. At the end of the day a well placed bullet still kills whether it costs 75 cents or $4.00 each. Yes premiums have their place and can certainly be cheap insurance for bullet performance, but cup and cores still work as they have since folks started putting copper around lead.
If I had to shoot factory ammo and 180 grain corelockts shot well I'd spend more time worrying about keeping the wind in my favor and a knife sharp than I would my bullet choice for anything from antelope to elk and moose.

C.payne

WKR
Definitely can’t go wrong with an Accubond if it shoots well from your rifle. Same goes for Barnes ttsx. Like others have said use cheap ammo for trigger time but just make sure you sight in with your preferred round before you go hunting. It can be surprising how far off one round will shoot from another.

If you get lucky you can find a cheap practice round close to your zero and shoot that for plinking. IMO a 300 is not a gun I care to shoot all that often. If you are going for high volume practice you may want to think about a rig in a smaller caliber. It will save $$$ and hearing/brain damage of shooting a bunch of win mag.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
Barnes VOR-TX 180g TTSX. My rifle loves them. Killed pronghorn, deer, and elk. Last elk I should with hit was at 500 yds, slid right in behind shoulder on a quartering away shot and it did not make it half a step before face planting into snow.

Corelokt.
Low price, accurate, deadly. Probably has killed more animals (4 legs) than any other commercially loaded round . Sub moa? Nope, . But accurate enough to hit what your aiming for out to 600 yards , no problem.