300 win mag build advice

I know there are a lot of build type posts that pop up, but I wanted to get some of yalls knowledge/advice as well. I’m going to build a LR western game 300 win mag rifle. It’s not on a tight tight budget, but I like to be budget conscious while getting good quality. I feel like I would like to ideally stay between 2500-3500 max. Would like to be at a max of 13 lbs. With that being said, id love to get some suggestions and to have people fill in anything I may be overlooking as well...

Stock - McMillan A3? (Or suggestions)
Barrel -
Optic - Wanting at least 4-14x, but open to suggestions
Scope rings -
Action/receiver -
Accessories? -

Last edited:
Stock - Manners EH1 with Ultralight Cheekpiece
Barrel - Bartlein with Carbon Wrap
Optic - NightForce ATACR 4-16x50 with First Focal Plane Reticle
Scope rings - American Rifle Company
Action/receiver - Defiance GA Hunter
Accessories? - American Precision Arms Lil' Bastard (muzzle brake), Flush Cups (instead of sling swivel studs), 4-slot Picatinny Rail (for bipod), Arca Swiss Plate/Tripod Attachment (mounted close to the front action screw)

OP
T
Stock - Manners EH1 with Ultralight Cheekpiece
Barrel - Bartlein with Carbon Wrap
Optic - NightForce ATACR 4-16x50 with First Focal Plane Reticle
Scope rings - American Rifle Company
Action/receiver - Defiance GA Hunter
Accessories? - American Precision Arms Lil' Bastard (muzzle brake), Flush Cups (instead of sling swivel studs), 4-slot Picatinny Rail (for bipod), Arca Swiss Plate/Tripod Attachment (mounted close to the front action screw)

Thanks for the response... the atacr is about 2500 from what I can find... any reason to not shave a few bucks and go with the NX8?

OP
T
Ideally, yes. If I had to stretch the budget a little to get the ideal setup, I’d buy once cry once, but I’d like to try and stay with my 3500 max if possible

Thanks for the response... the atacr is about 2500 from what I can find... any reason to not shave a few bucks and go with the NX8?
The NX8 is a great scope. I think the 2.5-20x50 would be a good choice. The 4-32x50 models are too much magnification, from my perspective.

OP
T
The NX8 2.5-20 FFP can be had for like 2k. With that being said, is there another scope that would be comparable for 500 dollars less, or can my overall build be done with the NX8 factored in? I don’t NEED 20x, don’t want to have less than 14 though

I’d suggest giving Alamo Precision Rifles a call and discussing your goals. With your target weight being 13 lbs or less, it shouldn’t be too hard. You won’t need a CF barrel or ultralight stock to come in under that weight. I’d be doing something along the lines of:

Grayboe Stock/ Used McMillan
BDL bottom metal
Defiance Tenacity or Bighorn Origin
Triggertech primary
Bartlien #3
Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18 in your choice of rings.

Off the top of my head that seems like it should fit within your budget and would likely end up weighing 10-11 pounds.

HuntnPack

WKR
If this is your first time considering a custom & you are not sure or familiar with components you want or need, I suggest you go semi custom first. This will get you
Quality components & something to work with
An option to consider. Contact Seekins Precision & order a PH2, rings, brake, & rails.
the PH2 has Quality components.
Then call Sport Optics & order a NF, NX8
2.5-20x50 in either FFP or SFP. Done.

Last edited:
I think you need to refine what you want a bit more, what features are a non negotiable to you. Does bolt throw matter to you, muzzle break, carbon fiber stock, laminated stock, chassis system, detachable magazine, picatinny rails, length of pull, and so on.

If you want a custom action then the above suggestion are good options. Although I would recommend Timney tiggers over Trigger Tech.

But if you want a budget friendly semi custom build then I would look at building up a Tikka. There are a ton of threads on here showing Tikka builds. This would also give you lots of room to change and build the rifle as you figure out what you like while hunting.

Or another option is looking at a semi custom factory rifle. Seekin Havak, Christensen Arms Ridgeline, Weatherby Mark V are some to look at. I know there are more that would fit into your budget but these were the first to come to my mind. Most of these rifle would give you room in your budget for a nice optic.

OP
T
I think you need to refine what you want a bit more, what features are a non negotiable to you. Does bolt throw matter to you, muzzle break, carbon fiber stock, laminated stock, chassis system, detachable magazine, picatinny rails, length of pull, and so on.

I’ve never built a custom rifle, admittedly, so it is new to me. Before it’s just been stock rifles with a decent scope. Does bolt throw matter in what way? I guess I’m not really sure how to answer that without knowing why one way or an

The stock doesn’t matter too much, but I want it to be durable, not wood, and have some adjustability in the cheek piece and some shock absorption on the butt.

I would like a detachable magazine and the ability to add a bipod possibly down the line, but don’t need it for the initial build. Would I need a picatinny if I am just going to be mounting the scope and leaving it only on this rifle indefinitely?

And really I’d love for the weight to be no less than ten lbs, but no more than 13. From what I’ve read that should make the recoil/shoot ability of the 300 WM better?

I’ve never built a custom rifle, admittedly, so it is new to me. Before it’s just been stock rifles with a decent scope. Does bolt throw matter in what way? I guess I’m not really sure how to answer that without knowing why one way or an

The stock doesn’t matter too much, but I want it to be durable, not wood, and have some adjustability in the cheek piece and some shock absorption on the butt.

I would like a detachable magazine and the ability to add a bipod possibly down the line, but don’t need it for the initial build. Would I need a picatinny if I am just going to be mounting the scope and leaving it only on this rifle indefinitely?

And really I’d love for the weight to be no less than ten lbs, but no more than 13. From what I’ve read that should make the recoil/shoot ability of the 300 WM better?

More or less I was trying to throw out things for you to think about, to help you make decisions, and for us to give you better feedback. For example some people really like shorter bolt throws, while others really don’t care. Some like a shorter throw because there’s not much clearance between the bolt and scope on some rifles. Others like a short throw because they believe they will be able to cycle the bolt faster. Others aren’t concerned about throw angles, but more about the smoothness of the action and how it feeds. Basically your headed down the rabbit hole my friend, one that never ends. 😂

OP
T
Hey I appreciate all of your responses to my thread.

After a lot of feedback here and another forum I wanted to clarify what I’m looking for a little more now that I’ve gained some knowledge.

I understand some people saying about going semi custom and dropping the price, I’ve kinda always wanted to do this once and not worry too too much about what I could’ve saved.

I basically want to have a rifle that can reach out for whatever I want to kill, but also something I could target shoot maybe even play around in local LR competitions with. I don’t mind going a little heavier, or less ideal for hunting if I can make it a little better for target/comps also.... I just don’t want to go crazy heavy where it would suck for hunting, as that is the primary thing I will do with it. I’m leaning more towards a higher budget, say 4K-4500 with scope included. If I’m going to splurge on any specific parts of the weapon, I would prefer it to be the stock and the scope.

With that being said, some the McMillan stocks are heavy, what would you suggest instead? One of my non negotiables is that I want an adjustable cheek piece, and the ability to adjust the spacing on the butt to get the perfect fit.

What receiver do you recommend that combines value and quality?

If I go with a mid range on the barrel (price wise) what am I losing? If I go with a high range, what am I gaining?

Besides that, I want to see where I am price wise after those 3 things and then I’d spend as much left on the best glass possible. If I can afford nightforce, I will, if I spend more on the components I’ll go with something a little cheaper.

Also planning on a muzzle brake, and will add bipod in the future.

It's your money, but it sounds like you are fairly new and minimal experience. A Bergara HMR and optic of your choice checks all your boxes. Bolt shit on and shoot the piss out of it. As does an off the rack Christensen.

Think any optic worth considering for dialing is gonna be over $1000. Cameraland Bushys are long gone I think.

If you are really serious about shooting and learning, an off the shelf Creed will do 80% of what you're trying to do and be a ton more fun and available in many platforms. I am a lefty so don't follow the Tikkas but think there are a few models that check your boxes there also.