300 Win Mag Build w/ Suppressor

TheViking

WKR
I am wanting to get into the suppressor game. I currently have a 300 Win Mag Fierce Twisted Rival (steel, 24” barrel, 1/2”x28 threads). Rifle is an absolute shooter, but barrel is medium contour at best. I haven’t measured, but probably .625”ish at the end. Reading some info on different forums, people have had some accuracy issues when slapping a suppressor on. I think this mainly pertained to using Sendaro Light CF barrels, and them not being stiff enough.

I have been looking at the new Silencer Central Banish Backcountry

They seem fairly compact at only 5.5” long. I think a 22” barrel with this suppressor would be ok, albeit on the long side.

I don’t know for sure if I can cut my barrel down or not, I’m sure I can, but the factory fluting might look like crap after being chopped.

I’d rather just keep my rifle as is, flip it and get into a new rifle with a shorter barrel. Barrel swap is an option as well.

With adding a suppressor is there a minimum barrel contour thickness that is recommended? I don’t know if I would go CF or not, most likely just get a steel barrel.

Was tossing around grabbing a base Tikka, getting an aftermarket pre-fit barrel at 22" and adding the suppressor to that, instead of chopping up that beautiful Fierce.

Anyone have any advice ?

Last edited:
I wouldn't chop the Fierce.

Based on what you posted, I would buy a base model Tikka and chop it off at 21 inches. That should give you enough meat to thread to 9/16-24. Spin on an adapter, attach your suppressor and shoot away.

I am in the process of building a 21" 300WM on a Savage action. The barrel is a standard Savage Mag profile and it has enough meat at the 21" point to be threaded 5/8-24. It's gonna be fun with my Nomad.

I’m in the same boat. I had a 26” Fierce Fury that is currently for sale in the classifieds. After my Nomad Ti came in I wanted to get a dedicated shorty so I’m building a 300wsm on a tikka with a 20” sporter barrel with a flare and 5/8” threads from McGowan. I’m waiting on my barrel now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can run a suppressor on that barrel. You’ll want to keep it as short and light as possible.

I personally wouldn’t buy anything from Silencer Central but folks do. Be ready for frustrations and longer than needed wait times if you go that route.

I would steer you toward the Dead Air Nomad Ti instead of the Banish.

There are other short, light cans to choose from, I just don’t know them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheHammer

WKR
I just ordered a backcountry for my savage UL in 308. I have a griffin sportsman on my 300wm savage high country. I’m guessing the weight of the backcountry is going to be the deciding factor of what allows it to be fine on that fierce. It’s be different if it were a 15oz like an omega.

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Are you guys saying you wouldn’t chop the fierce because the fluted barrel? Reason being I’m looking at doing the same thing with a seekins ph2 300wm. I love the gun but it’s way too long with the brake and I’be been researching suppressors a lot lately.

Are you guys saying you wouldn’t chop the fierce because the fluted barrel? Reason being I’m looking at doing the same thing with a seekins ph2 300wm. I love the gun but it’s way too long with the brake and I’be been researching suppressors a lot lately.

I wouldn’t chop the Fierce due to the resultant loss of value. Same with the Seekins. The other thing to consider is that if the fluting is deep enough, you may not be able to thread it anyway.
Plus, not having a bit of standard barrel profile at the end between the fluting and threads looks weird.

TheHammer

WKR
Hey Cardiac5. I apologize that I'm sure this is the wrong place for this. But, I see you have a tripod for sale. Signed up for an account but seems as a new user I still can't comment on that post or even shoot you a message. If you see this, shoot me an email - email address is my username @gmail.com. Thanks!
Make a fng post, go about a couple threads n make a couple comments and you’ll get past the required comment numbers * necessary to beable to pm.

Last edited: