.300 Win Mag bullet selection

Hey guys, I am heading west to Colorado again this year and I’m going to be working up a load for my .300 win mag 26” barrel 1:10 twist. Without having a bunch of experience with this cartridge I was wondering what bullets y’all are using and what kind of ranges you guys are getting out of your Win mags.
Thanks!
Here is a picture of a bull I killed with my uncles RUM @750yards

Attachments

• 45B228A1-BA24-46BC-98A0-C488A2DAEB21.jpeg
    45B228A1-BA24-46BC-98A0-C488A2DAEB21.jpeg
    689.8 KB · Views: 83

bsnedeker

WKR
I've got a Tikka with a 1:11 twist and it shoots the 178 and 200 gr ELD-M's sub MOA in those rare instances I manage shoot that thing 10 times in a row without flinching.

I was just told they were "too soft" though and would create a "splashy mess" on anything bigger than a deer though so now I have to re-evaluate my entire life! I just hope no one tells all the elk I've killed/seen killed with them...they might get up and run out of my freezers!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I am interested in this as well. My .300wm shoots the 180gr Barnes TSX and the 185 Berger Hybrid Hunters very well. I am reluctant to shoot the untipped Barnes more than 400, which is still a poke. I know they are two different bullets. I am curious as to what people's opinions are of both.

OP
H
I've got a Tikka with a 1:11 twist and it shoots the 178 and 200 gr ELD-M's sub MOA in those rare instances I manage shoot that thing 10 times in a row without flinching.

I was just told they were "too soft" though and would create a "splashy mess" on anything bigger than a deer though so now I have to re-evaluate my entire life! I just hope no one tells all the elk I've killed/seen killed with them...they might get up and run out of my freezers!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
At what ranges are you guys killing them at?

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
I've switched to all copper.... although it's been hard to come by. I'm feeding little kids the meat and don't want to take a chance with lead.

OP
H
.300wm 200gr barns ttsx , H1000 , .70 moa
I was looking at the ttsx and could only find them in 180. Ive got my head spinning because I’m reading that I should use a heavier bullet with a higher bc and I’m also reading that the 180’s are king. Im also reading that particular match bullets will do better than hunting bullets at distance

Wrench

WKR
You're going to dislike eating copper just as much as lead.

In my camp, we cut the wound channel meat out and leave it for the coyotes, which get eaten by the eagles who then fly to the biologists for blood work.....which allows for 20 page threads on the slide.

In all seriousness, any bullet from 150 though 220 will kill elk just fine if you pilot it well and fail if you don't.

I'd start with whatever you can get lots of and shoot a bunch.....and rock on.

OP
H
You're going to dislike eating copper just as much as lead.

In my camp, we cut the wound channel meat out and leave it for the coyotes, which get eaten by the eagles who then fly to the biologists for blood work.....which allows for 20 page threads on the slide.

In all seriousness, any bullet from 150 though 220 will kill elk just fine if you pilot it well and fail if you don't.

I'd start with whatever you can get lots of and shoot a bunch.....and rock on.
I started to lose my mind so I bought a ton of different bullets from 180’s to 220’s just wondering what bullet could maybe extend my range a little bit. I’m confident in my shooting just trying to get an idea on how far is too far with the Win Mag

cgasner1

WKR
I started to lose my mind so I bought a ton of different bullets from 180’s to 220’s just wondering what bullet could maybe extend my range a little bit. I’m confident in my shooting just trying to get an idea on how far is too far with the Win Mag

Your ability is the limiting factor for that round spend time behind it and you’ll be able to answer that for yourself don’t let a chart tell you how far you can shoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at the ttsx and could only find them in 180. Ive got my head spinning because I’m reading that I should use a heavier bullet with a higher bc and I’m also reading that the 180’s are king. Im also reading that particular match bullets will do better than hunting bullets at distance
I pick my TTSX weight by selecting whatever is roughly 80% of the weight of a lead bullet I’d use for the same application. In the 300 Win Mag, I used 200gr Accubonds and Partitions. Therefore, I use the 168gr TTSX (supposedly opens at lower velocity). My rationale is a jacketed lead bullet will shed enough weight that it will likely weigh less in the end than the TTSX. Since speed is needed with copper bullets, I’d rather push a bullet faster to ensure expansion than try to keep bullet weight the same.

Copper has more bearing surface for a comparably weighted cup and core. So, you’ll likely have lower velocities if you go grain for grain.

S-3 ranch

WKR
IMO 180gr is a sweet spot for a 300wm , if you’re shooting copper and 80% weight like a barns or something = 165gr
I would keep the shots > 450 or 2000 FPS or better.
99.9% of hunters can’t hit a 24x24 steel plate @ 500 off a bench much less a kill zone from a bipod or pack rest :confused:
practice practice practice those 400+ meter shots

Last edited:
In our elk camp this year 6 out of 8 bulls were killed with Barnes bullets. 4 were with 180 gr and 2 with 165 gr. I’ve killed everything I’ve shot with my 180 gr ttsx from antelope to elk.

IMO 180gr is a sweet spot for a 300wm , if you’re shooting copper and 80% weight like a barns or something = 165gr
I would keep the shots > 450 or 2000 FPS or better.
99.9% of hunters can’t hit a 24x24 steel plate @ 500 off a bench much less a kill zone from a bipod or pack rest :confused:
practice practice practice those 400+ meter shots
I agree with all above. Keep those copper bullets zipping. If its a Barnes, I think you'll either find the whole thing, or it will pass through. I have rarely even ever found a petal off one of them (which I really like). If you want something that will shed a little more weight, go lead or one of the "softer" coppers (Hornady, Nosler). I would agree with the 80% of lead weight above, but would tell you to try to get them moving faster than 3000 from the muzzle and you should be ok in about any hunting situation.

I'd go a step further than above: Don't take shots past 400 yards. They can be done, and plenty do land (I see the OP even has the chops to make it work), but they more often than not turn into a rodeo for a whole host of reasons. And a rodeo with an elk kinda sucks. Enjoy the hunting part of the hunt more than you celebrate the distance of the shot.

Wrench

WKR
I've killed elk at 400 or beyond with a 100gr .257 bullet. I've killed them between 850 and 900 with 140 class match bullets. I've killed them at 20 feet with a 300rum 180 and 375h&h.

The internet seriously messes with people.

If you can make it fly and keep it above it's upset speed and not hit the humerus, the blet that works is______.

Clarence

WKR
I have been impressed with 200 grain accubonds. Like has been said on this thread though, many bullets from many manufacturers have put lots of bulls on the dirt. My elk hunting mentors are very dedicated to nosler ballistic tips. I was guilty of turning my nose up, but they have filled many freezers, and have a pile of antlers that say they are no good for elk.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
165gr Barnes TSX. 500 yards. Bull went ten feet, and nine of them were gravity.

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
180 grain Accubond has worked flawlessly for me between 60 and 450 yards on Roosevelt bulls. You may have a fast enough twist to go to 200 grain but I think you might start to lose too much MV above that. The Accubond expands really well at faster speeds